PDA

View Full Version : Student sent home because of haircut....

kaorder1999
03-27-2007, 11:04 PM
Student sent home because of haircut

09:47 PM CDT on Tuesday, March 27, 2007

By DARLA MILES / WFAA-TV

ARLINGTON - One eighth grader's idea to express himself through a haircut led him to be kicked out of his Arlington school.

Maceo Patton, who attends Young Junior High School, said he always strives for unique when styling his hair.

"I get something different every time, but I just be sitting in my room like drawing up things and it just popped to mind," he said.

What popped in his mind last Saturday was the idea to cut a letter "M" topped with a crown into his hair.

"It's King Maceo to me," he said.

However, that same image is also commonly used for the Latin Kings.

"My principal called me down and said that, 'Do you know what that sign stands for?'" he said.

The principal explained that the image is also used by the gang, and sent Maceo home.

But Maceo's mother, Leslie Henton, said she doesn't understand the problem.

"It's a haircut," he said. "It's a design. And if it's a Latin King emblem, he's African American clearly. So, it's a haircut."

She also said she questions why haircuts are not in the school dress code.

"When he came home from the barbershop on Saturday, if we had previously known a list of things that you could not have in your head, I would have turned him right around," she said.

But the district said creating a banned haircut list isn't that simple since gang signs continuously change.

"We don't want to get into the business of determining what hairstyles are," said Dr. Mac Bernd, superintendent of Arlington Independent School District. "So, what we look for are any manifestation of gang affiliation. And in this case, that's what we determined the situation was."

Maceo got a new haircut and will return to school Wednesday.

kaorder1999
03-27-2007, 11:04 PM
after reading that...you know what bothers me most....this statement...

"I get something different every time, but I just be sitting in my room like drawing up things and it just popped to mind," he said.

smustangs
03-27-2007, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999

the fact that he sits and draws up hair cuts?

kaorder1999
03-27-2007, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by smustangs
the fact that he sits and draws up hair cuts?

no...im certified to teach English/Language Arts....

smustangs
03-27-2007, 11:13 PM

o ok i could understand were that would bug you then. see im a pe and history guy myself.

pirate4state
03-27-2007, 11:13 PM

"I get something different every time, but I just be sitting in my room like drawing up things and it just popped to mind," he said. Don't be sweating me man! I just be chillin'. :D :D :D

kaorder1999
03-27-2007, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
Don't be sweating me man! I just be chillin'. :D :D :D
HAHA...mmmmmmkkkkayyyyy

smustangs
03-27-2007, 11:17 PM

straight of the streets of harlem huh?

fireman1
03-27-2007, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by smustangs
straight of the streets of harlem huh?

I could be wrong but i think you meant to say "off" not "of"

MHSvarsity2007
03-28-2007, 12:04 AM

i noticed that too haha :D

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
03-28-2007, 12:37 AM

How is my spelling and grammar?

BuffyMars
03-28-2007, 09:45 AM
I once got detention for dying my hair purple. They said it was gang related, LOL!

Bullaholic
03-28-2007, 09:50 AM
O.k.--I'm going to show my "old guy" side on this one......I wonder if any of these parents would be complaining if by some chance their child was beat up or killed because some of their hair or attire was taken to be gang related---mistakenly or unmistakenly. Sometimes personal freedom has to sacrificed on the side of caution given today's violent environment. No school administrator is going to take the chance of being wrong on this one.

kaorder1999
03-28-2007, 09:53 AM
at our school there can be NO designs in their hair....solves that problem real quick!

BuffyMars
03-28-2007, 09:54 AM
I never did designs, I just colored my hair every color known to man.

piratebg
03-28-2007, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
O.k.--I'm going to show my "old guy" side on this one......I wonder if any of these parents would be complaining if by some chance their child was beat up or killed because some of their hair or attire was taken to be gang related---mistakenly or unmistakenly. Sometimes personal freedom has to sacrificed on the side of caution given today's violent environment. No school administrator is going to take the chance of being wrong on this one.

I was never beat up, but I was almost thrown out of girls basketball game in Aransas Pass because I was accused of throwing gang signs from the visitors side. Fortunately for me, I was sitting between my Geometry teacher and my History teacher. Plus I had the principal and assistant principal sitting behind me. They said the complaints came from parents on the other side, but all I was just doing was a little heckling. :D

Emerson1
03-28-2007, 09:56 AM
Happens all the time in Forney. You can\'t have any type of design in your hair, you usually aren\'t sent home, but you have to get it fixed in a week.

kaorder1999
03-28-2007, 10:01 AM
i believe here if you are a first time offender they give you a certain amount of time...after that they just send you home. I may be wrong though!

Txbroadcaster
03-28-2007, 10:14 AM
When I was in Jr high designs were HUGE..Like the Air Jordan logo..That was prob the most popular

Phil C
03-28-2007, 10:23 AM
I remember years in the 60s ago a young man was told to get a haircut because it was too long (and this was just a little over his ears type thing). So he went and got it all shaved off and they still weren't satisfied and they made him wear a cap all the time. :D

kaorder1999
03-28-2007, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
I remember years in the 60s ago a young man was told to get a haircut because it was too long (and this was just a little over his ears type thing). So he went and got it all shaved off and they still weren't satisfied and they made him wear a cap all the time. :D

that is funny!

Phil C
03-28-2007, 10:27 AM
About 20 years ago I grew a moustach and my wife liked it but I got tired of it. So I shaved it like the great movie star commedian from Mexcio - the great Cantinflas. I wore it around town that day but when I got home my wife made me go on and finish shaving it off. :D

Phil C
03-28-2007, 10:32 AM
Below is a picture of the great Cantinflas.

http://u.univision.com/contentroot/uol/art/images/ent/cine/2004/04/cantinflas_analfabeto_3_041.jpg

crzyjournalist03
03-28-2007, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Happens all the time in Forney. You can\'t have any type of design in your hair, you usually aren\'t sent home, but you have to get it fixed in a week.

I don't think it was that way a few years ago. I remember in Dabryan Blanton's senior year, he had the back of his head shaved so that it said "Game Over" during track season. I thought it was absolute genious!

Adidas410s
03-28-2007, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
About 20 years ago I grew a moustach and my wife liked it but I got tired of it. So I shaved it like the great movie star commedian from Mexcio - the great Cantinflas. I wore it around town that day but when I got home my wife made me go on and finish shaving it off. :D

http://www.nndb.com/people/899/000065704/cantinflas-sized.jpg

That's great Phil!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

kaorder1999
03-28-2007, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
I don't think it was that way a few years ago. I remember in Dabryan Blanton's senior year, he had the back of his head shaved so that it said "Game Over" during track season. I thought it was absolute genious!

it said something different at every track meet!

Ranger Mom
03-28-2007, 10:41 AM
Greenwood's hair dress code for guys is: Hair cannot be past top of ears or collar.

Girls can color their hair, but it has to be: of a natural hair color.

kaorder1999
03-28-2007, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
Greenwood's hair dress code for guys is: Hair cannot be past top of ears or collar.

Girls can color their hair, but it has to be: of a natural hair color.

same here

crzyjournalist03
03-28-2007, 10:42 AM
it said something different at every track meet!

:thinking: then maybe we did have the same rule, but his excuse was always, "I'll get it changed within a week" lol

kaorder1999
03-28-2007, 10:44 AM
one track meet it said "Bag Back"

Blastoderm55
03-28-2007, 10:49 AM
Ok, dress code or not, do the parents not see something incredibly stupid and egotistical with their son trying to carve a crown with initial into his hair? I'd smack my kid for being such a jackass. I mean seriously, you sit in your room all day long because you have no friends, and THIS is the best hairstyle you can think up? What a disappointment. :doh:

kaorder1999
03-28-2007, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by Blastoderm55
Ok, dress code or not, do the parents not see something incredibly stupid and egotistical with their son trying to carve a crown with initial into his hair? I'd smack my kid for being such a jackass.

same here! The majority of kids today are all about individualism. In a lot of cases that is not bad but in many, the individualism is a bad thing! Many kids only know me, I, and my.

Phil C
03-28-2007, 10:52 AM
One time in the sixties a young male college student was walking down the street to the local pizza cafe near the campus and I was following him with some friends. Some young kids saw him and asked him "Hey Mister why do you wear your hair so long."

He answered right back "To show off my masculinity."

:D

Emerson1
03-28-2007, 12:42 PM
I don\'t think it was that way a few years ago. I remember in Dabryan Blanton\'s senior year, he had the back of his head shaved so that it said \"Game Over\" during track season. I thought it was absolute genious!
Keyword, it was Dabryan Blanton who was doing it :) . Plus they crackdown alot harder on dress code now, and we have a principal who doesn\'t like them kind of folks if you know what I mean.

crzyjournalist03
03-28-2007, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Keyword, it was Dabryan Blanton who was doing it :) . Plus they crackdown alot harder on dress code now, and we have a principal who doesn\'t like them kind of folks if you know what I mean.

How dare that principal not respect track stars!!! :mad: ;) :mad:

CHS_CG
03-28-2007, 01:14 PM

alllready!

Bull19
03-28-2007, 01:17 PM

THATS THE WAY 98% OF THEM TALK

crzyjournalist03
03-28-2007, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by Bull19
THATS THE WAY 98% OF THEM TALK

What's with this "them" talk????

You act like there's something about that kid that makes him seperate from you. He might not have decent grammar skill, but I dare you to be specific and explain what exactly you mean by "them".

Blastoderm55
03-28-2007, 01:22 PM
I don't like the direction in which this is headed. :(

Bull19
What's with this "them" talk????

You act like there's something about that kid that makes him seperate from you. He might not have decent grammar skill, but I dare you to be specific and explain what exactly you mean by "them".

JUNIOR HIGH STUDENTS = THEM,,,,,EDUCATIONAL STANDARDS ARE GOING DOWN EVERY YEAR

Phil C
How dare that principal not respect track stars!!! :mad: ;) :mad:

:mad:

crzyjournalist03
03-28-2007, 01:37 PM

what bugs me is the fact that that's the way it was printed...people talk with bad grammar all the time, but journalists are taught to correct it before print so that the interviewees don't appear unintelligent. I remember an article in Chicago several years back where a writer left Sammy Sosa's words as he said them, and there was a big uproar!