PDA

View Full Version : Strong hurricanes to hit U.S. Gulf in 07: AccuWeather

TexasHSFootball
03-27-2007, 04:13 PM
NEW YORK (Reuters) - The U.S. Gulf Coast, which is still rebuilding almost two years after Hurricane Katrina, faces a renewed threat of powerful storms this year, private forecaster AccuWeather said on Tuesday.

After a quiet hurricane season last year, Florida and other Gulf Coast states likely will be hit with fewer storms than during the active 2005 season, which spawned the massive hurricanes Katrina and Rita, AccuWeather said.

But the storms forecast for the region will pack a punch.

"We will not get anywhere near the amount of storms that we did in 2005, but the intensity of the storms we do get will be of major concern," Joe Bastardi, chief hurricane forecaster for AccuWeather.com, said in a statement.

British forecasting group Tropical Storm Risk this month also predicted an active storm season. It forecast four "intense" hurricanes during the 2007 season, which runs from June through November.

The predictions spell trouble for areas still recuperating from a chain of hurricanes that slammed the Gulf Coast in 2005.

"The entire region -- including New Orleans and other areas that are still rebuilding after Katrina -- is susceptible to storms," Bastardi said.

Katrina killed about 1,500 people along the Gulf Coast in 2005, displaced tens of thousands more and caused billions of dollars in damage.

Bastardi also said that storms forecast to hit this year could once again disrupt oil and natural gas operations along the Gulf Coast, driving up energy prices for consumers.

"This year's stronger storms are likely to be the kind of disruption that will be felt in wallets and pocketbooks," he said.

U.S. gasoline prices reached a record high of $3.057 per gallon after Katrina, which caused oil refineries to shut down and companies to evacuate workers from oil and gas producing rigs in the Gulf.

After Hurricane Rita hit the region a month after Katrina, as much as 14 percent of U.S. refinery capacity was shut and about 80 percent of crude oil and 66 percent of natural gas production were down for months.

Bastardi also predicted the U.S. Northeast would likely be a target for strong storms for the next 10 years.

"Last year, the Northeast may have dodged a bullet but, unfortunately, you can only be lucky for so long. We are in a pattern similar to that of the late 1930s through the 1940s, when the Northeast was hit by two major storms," he said.

The relative calm of last year's hurricane season, which forecasters had mistakenly predicted would be busy, came on the heels of a record 28 storms and 15 hurricanes in 2005 and only a slightly less furious season in 2004.

Bastardi said that, despite the milder 2006 season, the trend was toward strong hurricanes and tropical storms.

"We are living in a time of climatic hardship," Bastardi said. "We're in a cycle where weather extremes are more the norm and not the exception."

IHStangFan
03-27-2007, 04:18 PM
I started putting together my evac plan, readiness kit, checklists, etc. yesterday as a matter of fact! :)

smustangs
03-27-2007, 04:19 PM
im glad we dont have to worry about those in our area

Txbroadcaster
03-27-2007, 04:21 PM
They said this for 2006 as well..and nothing happened. I have a funny feeling they will just predict this every year to cover their bases

IHStangFan
03-27-2007, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
They said this for 2006 as well..and nothing happened. I have a funny feeling they will just predict this every year to cover their bases youre probably right....but that doesnt mean I wont be ready....just in case their guessing is somewhat accurate.

Bull19
03-27-2007, 04:42 PM
YOU CAN CREDIT GLOBAL WARMING FOR ALL OF THIS

IHStangFan
03-27-2007, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by Bull19
YOU CAN CREDIT GLOBAL WARMING FOR ALL OF THIS LOL..thanks...but I think I'll credit a reoccuring trend called "the end of an ice age" instead :p

Reds fan
03-27-2007, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
youre probably right....but that doesnt mean I wont be ready....just in case their guessing is somewhat accurate.

Exactly, you can't stop 'em but you can do everything to be ready...

BILLYFRED0000
03-27-2007, 05:18 PM
Seems like they predicted this last year. And how many did we get? O. NADA. NIL. NONE. and the otherwise of course not any.
Not predicting 0 this year myself. But just like to point out that they to quote his bossidness "They tink their brains so big" and cannot get close on storm prediction on a six month stretch. So much for Man made global warming predictions.

sahen
03-27-2007, 06:01 PM
they actually said last year that w/ global warming the hurricane season would continue to intensify and that '06 would be like '05 maybe even more active...what scares me about this report is that they say that the season will "less active than '05" but the ones we get will be really bad....plan to have another record number of storms, but hopefully the weaterh will continue to prove forecasters idiots and they will all be 1's and 2's and not 3 or higher........

Ray_BearKat
03-27-2007, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
LOL..thanks...but I think I'll credit a reoccuring trend called "the end of an ice age" instead :p

we were in the end of an ice age? hard to convince me of that in south texas....

and they always say this so when it happens they can say, "i told ya so" if they're wrong they'll just say, "we're lucky".

bccards
03-27-2007, 06:55 PM
They don't know when or where a storm is going to hit. That is like me predicting the BC Cardinals to win a state championship in Football, Baseball, and Softball all in a one year time span. If they KNOW where these storms are going to hit, why don't we go ahead and just sell our homes and move the hell out of dodge before our homes are demolished. Love all of the spewing the media does about the Hurricane season. As already mentioned, last year was supposed to be "OMG SCARY AND BAD" but what did occur last year, two measily Tropical Storms with less than 70MPH winds hit Florida -- We have that kind of weather every spring in the severe storms that come through the state. Amazing how the media hypes everything, especially when it comes to storms. We may have 100 named storms this year, or we may have 10, it's anyone's guess.

big daddy russ
03-27-2007, 07:00 PM
I listened to Alan Lammey out of Houston on 97.5 every Saturday and he explained it very well just a couple of weeks ago. He said that the Gulf didn't really get any storms last year, so the cooler deep waters didn't get stirred up to the surface. Because of this, there's 80 degree waters 100 feet below the surface at different parts of the Gulf right now.

Hell, along the coast, water temps are just now getting into the 70-degree range.

Anyways, hurricanes are 'fueled' by warm water, so imagine what happens when they finally make into the Gulf and hit all that warm water?

Interesting stuff.

bccards
03-27-2007, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
I listened to Alan Lammey out of Houston on 97.5 every Saturday and he explained it very well just a couple of weeks ago. He said that the Gulf didn't really get any storms last year, so the cooler deep waters didn't get stirred up to the surface. Because of this, there's 80 degree waters 100 feet below the surface at different parts of the Gulf right now.

Hell, along the coast, water temps are just now getting into the 70-degree range.

Anyways, hurricanes are 'fueled' by warm water, so imagine what happens when they finally make into the Gulf and hit all that warm water?

Interesting stuff.

at the same time, the atmospheric weather conditions has to be just 'perfect' for these Katrina and Rita storms to explode, as last year, we had warm water temps, but no storms due to atmospheric conditions being very hostile. The media never tells the whole story, lol.

rgn4fb
03-27-2007, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
They said this for 2006 as well..and nothing happened. I have a funny feeling they will just predict this every year to cover their bases Have you kept up with Joe Bastardi's predictions? He is amazingly accurate. He predicted the snow in South Texas and his hurricane predictions in the past have been so accurate it is scary. I don't pay much attention to most meterologists, but when Joe Bastardi has something to say, I am always going to listen!

Bulldog_12
03-27-2007, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by Bull19
YOU CAN CREDIT GLOBAL WARMING FOR ALL OF THIS

http://www.politicsonline.com/blog/images/2006/al%20gore.jpg

big daddy russ
03-28-2007, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by bccards
at the same time, the atmospheric weather conditions has to be just 'perfect' for these Katrina and Rita storms to explode, as last year, we had warm water temps, but no storms due to atmospheric conditions being very hostile. The media never tells the whole story, lol.
He was just saying that's the main reason they're predicting stronger storms. I don't know if we can predict atmospheric conditions this far in the future, can we BC?

piratebg
03-28-2007, 08:13 AM
I don't care what they predict. They can predict the slowest season or the worst season, I'd rather just be ready for anything. From June though October, I tend tune in to The Weather Channel at 10 til the hour at least once a day.

shankbear
03-28-2007, 08:21 AM
Cow farts in Amarillo cause global warming therefore causing more violent hurricanes so let's wipe out the cattle industry and PETA will love everybody and the air will be clean and we will all live happily ever after.