PDA

View Full Version : BCG leaving?

coach
03-26-2007, 10:31 PM
They just announced on the news that Billy Clyde has been offered a seven yr deal and they reported texas a&m planes in arkansas to negotiate the deal?

Bulldog_12
03-26-2007, 10:34 PM
Nevermind. My intraweb skills suck.
:(

CHS_CG
03-27-2007, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by Bulldog_12
Nevermind. My intraweb skills suck.
:(

on the radio this morning they said A&M was trying to up/extend Billy's 1 million dollar contract. I dont think A&M wants to see him leave he has done WONDERS for the mens basketball.. it would be a shame if he left.

kaorder1999
03-27-2007, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by CHS_CG
on the radio this morning they said A&M was trying to up/extend Billy's 1 million dollar contract. I dont think A&M wants to see him leave he has done WONDERS for the mens basketball.. it would be a shame if he left.

well..he either wants the Arkansas job or he is trying to get more money from A&M.....common thing!

injuredinmelee
03-27-2007, 08:18 AM
no way he flew to fayettville in an aggie plane.

kaorder1999
03-27-2007, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee

ive seen crazier things!

Adidas410s
03-27-2007, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by CHS_CG

He was paid $1.2 million for this year...and the board of regents is voting to again give him a $300k raise for next year. That's the same thing that they did after last season. Also, there is a clause that was added in to his contract that says if he fulfills the agreement (through 2012 I believe) that he recieves a bonus of either 1 or 2 million...I don't have the info in front of me.

CHS_CG
03-27-2007, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
He was paid $1.2 million for this year...and the board of regents is voting to again give him a $300k raise for next year. That's the same thing that they did after last season. Also, there is a clause that was added in to his contract that says if he fulfills the agreement (through 2012 I believe) that he recieves a bonus of either 1 or 2 million...I don't have the info in front of me.

I would still hate to see him leave. Our bball team has come a long way the last 3 years with him there and if he were to leave A&M I have a feeling we would just fall right back where we were bc of having a new coach.

KL3
03-27-2007, 09:22 AM
People, use your heads. Do you really think Texas A&M would lend Gillispie or his agent a private jet to go to Arkansas so they can take our coach?

kaorder1999
03-27-2007, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by KL3
People, use your heads. Do you really think Texas A&M would lend Gillispie or his agent a private jet to go to Arkansas so they can take our coach?

actually...i have seen this before. School A (A&M)- "Go ahead Billy and go see what they will give you and when you get back we will have a new contract sitting on your desk ready for you to sign."

coach
03-27-2007, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by KL3

it was on the news and they said "people reported" that they saw the private jet and that the deal was i.7 mil.

Macarthur
03-27-2007, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by coach
They just announced on the news that Billy Clyde has been offered a seven yr deal and they reported texas a&m planes in arkansas to negotiate the deal?

Who is they?

injuredinmelee

IM is right.

I agree that Ark has more bball tradition, but right now, is Ark a better job?

Unreasonable expectations at Ark.

A&M is in a recruiting hotbed.

New facilities at A&M.

A&M has much more money than Ark.

He is from Texas.

I just don't get it.

coach
03-27-2007, 10:17 AM
they were as in the news casters said peolple reported....im just posting what i heard...i thought it was intresting.....im not saying i saw him or anyhtng like that

mwynn05
03-27-2007, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by Macarthur
Who is they?

IM is right.

I agree that Ark has more bball tradition, but right now, is Ark a better job?

Unreasonable expectations at Ark.

A&M is in a recruiting hotbed.

New facilities at A&M.

A&M has much more money than Ark.

He is from Texas.

I just don't get it. Because UA is worshiped there

Macarthur
03-27-2007, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by mwynn05
Because UA is worshiped there

Huh?

So BCG is not already worshiped at A&M?

I'm just saying, is the Ark job more attractive right now!? I do not think it is, RIGHT NOW.

KL3
03-27-2007, 11:04 AM
Gillispie was in College Station all day yesterday. He left his office around 9:30 p.m. and was greeted by reporters to who he did not talk to. Again, A&M or any school for that matter would never lend their plane to a coach so he could fly to another job interview. Don't believe everything you read.

Check out the following...

Aggiesports.com (http://www.aggiesports.com/stories/032707/mbasketball_20070327024.php)

coach
03-27-2007, 11:10 AM
ok thanks i didnt think it was true bc the said speculation..plus i heard it on fox news not espn or anything like that...but im still worried..

KL3
03-27-2007, 11:17 AM
I'm still worried to coach. And I won't stop worrying until he signs A&M's new contract.

injuredinmelee
03-27-2007, 11:24 AM
i know arkie said he was their top choice. Media wise the SEC is a much more premier conference than the Big XII. AS a horn fan i would love to see Gillispie gone. As a texan it would be good to see him stay at Aggie. I can understand why he would not be interested in Kentucky since no one can live up to the expectations of their fans.

mwynn05
03-27-2007, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by Macarthur
Huh?

So BCG is not already worshiped at A&M?

I'm just saying, is the Ark job more attractive right now!? I do not think it is, RIGHT NOW. UA is worshiped in Arkansas unlike any school in Texas because they dont have anything else

eagles_victory
03-27-2007, 01:36 PM
Arkansas will be a more talented team then Texas A&M next year

KL3
03-27-2007, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
Arkansas will be a more talented team then Texas A&M next year

Thats pretty funny stuff right there.

Txbroadcaster
03-27-2007, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by KL3

With the talent coming back to Arkansas, compared to what A&M is losing that statment is not that far off.

I think all 5 starters are back for Hogs next year

big daddy russ
03-27-2007, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by KL3
I don't know, Arkie's bringing back the house. They have this one stud fish who's an absolute hoss...

Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
With the talent coming back to Arkansas, compared to what A&M is losing that statment is not that far off.

I think all 5 starters are back for Hogs next year
...but A&M only loses Law, Kavaliauskas, and Pompey and they already have several studs waiting to replace them. The second-rated center in the nation will be on campus next year and they bring back junior Joseph Jones and freshmen Donald Sloan and Bryan Davis. Davis was the Ags' big prospect last year and should make them a more physical team than they were this year, while Sloan and Derrick Roland were both top-15 prospects here in Texas.

Kavaliauskas was a great talent, but wasn't great under the rim. Sure, he had great touch, was smooth, had some good moves, and had great hands, but he wasn't very tough. When he was in, the Ags wound up losing a lot of rebounds they would've had if Pompey was there. The group of Davis, Jones, and incoming DeAndre Jordan should not only make them tougher, but also more athletic.

Combine that with Josh Carter's development and I think the Ags have a fantastic core coming back.

Reds fan
03-27-2007, 03:31 PM
Sloan is the biggest key to next year for the Ags and if he can fill the departure of Acie the Ags will be very strong again.

g$$
03-27-2007, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
I don't know, Arkie's bringing back the house. They have this one stud fish who's an absolute hoss...

...but A&M only loses Law, Kavaliauskas, and Pompey and they already have several studs waiting to replace them. The second-rated center in the nation will be on campus next year and they bring back junior Joseph Jones and freshmen Donald Sloan and Bryan Davis. Davis was the Ags' big prospect last year and should make them a more physical team than they were this year, while Sloan and Derrick Roland were both top-15 prospects here in Texas.

Kavaliauskas was a great talent, but wasn't great under the rim. Sure, he had great touch, was smooth, had some good moves, and had great hands, but he wasn't very tough. When he was in, the Ags wound up losing a lot of rebounds they would've had if Pompey was there. The group of Davis, Jones, and incoming DeAndre Jordan should not only make them tougher, but also more athletic.

Combine that with Josh Carter's development and I think the Ags have a fantastic core coming back.

Exactly, the cupboard is not bare. AK was a typical European, very skilled & also soft at times. The front line will be improved, but losing Law is obviously huge. I love Sloan's upside...Roland can play...Walkup will be good...Holmes will be groomed...of course Jordan is an athletic 7 footer, etc. Look for Carter to make strides. A&M has recruited very well.

Come on Billy Clyde, negotiate a new deal & stay in Aggieland!

eagles_victory
03-27-2007, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by KL3
Thats pretty funny stuff right there. you obviously havent seen what Arkansas has coming back. Patrick Beverly the SEC freshman of the year is a great player. Sonny Weams the number 1 junior college recruit in the country from a year ago along with a very expierenced PG and Steven Hill one of the best shot blockers in the nation.

A&M they lose Law Kavalaskis sp? Pompey i heard one person saying they have replacements waiting in the wings. Your just going to replace Acie Law your first ever All-American? The guy who threw the team on his back and carried them in the clutch. That isnt going to be easy to replace no matter how much unproven talent you have behind him.

Im not saying Arkansas is going to be far and away the most talented of the two teams. But people on here make it sound like if Billy goes to Arkansas he is going to be rebuilding and that is very far from the truth

g$$
03-27-2007, 04:14 PM
you obviously havent seen what Arkansas has coming back. Patrick Beverly the SEC freshman of the year is a great player. Sonny Weams the number 1 junior college recruit in the country from a year ago along with a very expierenced PG and Steven Hill one of the best shot blockers in the nation.

A&M they lose Law Kavalaskis sp? Pompey i heard one person saying they have replacements waiting in the wings. Your just going to replace Acie Law your first ever All-American? The guy who threw the team on his back and carried them in the clutch. That isnt going to be easy to replace no matter how much unproven talent you have behind him.

Im not saying Arkansas is going to be far and away the most talented of the two teams. But people on here make it sound like if Billy goes to Arkansas he is going to be rebuilding and that is very far from the truth

Good points, & obviously losing Law is huge, but A&M's does have talent there now & more coming in next year (A&M's class was top 10 this past year). Arkansas may have talent but they are getting a new coach too. That does factor into the transition. Both should be good, & each year is different. I just hope A&M can keep BCG.

Panther One
03-27-2007, 09:26 PM
"Patrick Beverley, the Razorbacks' SEC Freshman of the Year, was not in Fayetteville on Monday. Beverley was to sit down with his mother, Lisa, Monday night in Chicago to discuss his future. Beverley hadn't returned to Arkansas from spring break."

http://www.nwaonline.net/articles/2007/03/27/razorback_central/032707uabkbgillispie.txt

If he didn't return, it would definately change the make-up of Arkansas' team. Either way, I wouldn't expect Gillispie to leave for Arkansas. Right now, A&M is doing everything to improve the basketball program. They made additions to Reed this year, they're about to break ground on the new practice and locker facility, and they're looking into ways to put more seats in Reed. The biggest thing Gillispie desires is commitment to the program and he's getting it. Basketball programs aren't built overnight. Heck, they're usually not built in three years, so I just don't see him leaving right in the middle of what he started.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
03-27-2007, 09:27 PM
Well, I heard it's official, Gillespie is leaving. :(

Panther One
03-27-2007, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END

Leaving? I thought he already left...

...for Atlanta with Acie.

Bulldog_12
03-27-2007, 11:13 PM

I am pretty sure you heard wrong.

coach
03-27-2007, 11:18 PM
is he leaving or not

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
03-27-2007, 11:28 PM
I am pretty sure you heard wrong.

No, I didn't hear wrong, I was just kidding. :D

Bulldog_12
03-28-2007, 12:45 AM
No, I didn't hear wrong, I was just kidding. :D

I hate the internet. You can never guess sarcasm. :(

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
03-28-2007, 12:47 AM
I hate the internet. You can never guess sarcasm. :(

I sure hope he doesn't leave, but you never know, but what you should have known is that I'm full of it most of the time.

g$$
03-28-2007, 02:54 AM
Originally posted by Panther One
"Patrick Beverley, the Razorbacks' SEC Freshman of the Year, was not in Fayetteville on Monday. Beverley was to sit down with his mother, Lisa, Monday night in Chicago to discuss his future. Beverley hadn't returned to Arkansas from spring break."

http://www.nwaonline.net/articles/2007/03/27/razorback_central/032707uabkbgillispie.txt

If he didn't return, it would definately change the make-up of Arkansas' team. Either way, I wouldn't expect Gillispie to leave for Arkansas. Right now, A&M is doing everything to improve the basketball program. They made additions to Reed this year, they're about to break ground on the new practice and locker facility, and they're looking into ways to put more seats in Reed. The biggest thing Gillispie desires is commitment to the program and he's getting it. Basketball programs aren't built overnight. Heck, they're usually not built in three years, so I just don't see him leaving right in the middle of what he started.

Agreed. The commitment is finally there, so I just don't see him leaving for Arkansas. I sure hope he stays. BCG is a rock star in Aggieland right now. Stay the course BCG!

LH Panther Mom
03-28-2007, 06:15 AM
I'm full of it most of the time. :thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
03-28-2007, 07:34 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
:thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

What are you getting at?:rolleyes:

CHS_CG
03-28-2007, 07:48 AM
Aggieland is trying hard to show BG that we dong want him to leave... Candy 95 held a bake sale in his honor with all the proceeds goin to him, then they held a Yell practice on campus last night.

BobcatBenny
03-28-2007, 08:21 AM
Well, it looks like A&M is going to return to being just an average football school instead of an up and coming basketball juggernaught. :eek:

Macarthur
03-28-2007, 10:09 AM
I think the longer this goes on, the better the odds that he stays. If I were Ark, I would be getting very nervous. Their best chance was to swoop in and make BCG a great offer and get it signed before A&M could react. The longer this goes, the more time A&M has to counter and Ark will not "out bid" A&M if that's what it comes down to.

un b weavable
03-28-2007, 10:42 AM
"Gillispie will remain head coach at A&M"

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/4668232.html

Macarthur
03-28-2007, 10:44 AM
It's beginning to look like BCG used this as a negotiating tool. Gotta love it. That's how the game is played these days.

I would hope for A&M's sake they got some sort of a buyout clause.

Reds fan
03-28-2007, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by un b weavable

Fantastic!!!:cheerl:

CHS_CG
03-28-2007, 12:11 PM

God I hope this is true!

eagles_victory
03-28-2007, 01:52 PM
The Aggies basketball program will take a step back next year IMO rather BCG stays or not. Not taking a shot at the Aggies in anyway but i think they drop back to a middle of the pack team next year. Probably making the tournament in the 7-10 seed range but anybody is going to take a step back after losing the likes of an Acie Law the face of the program

big daddy russ
03-28-2007, 01:58 PM
The Aggies basketball program will take a step back next year IMO rather BCG stays or not. Not taking a shot at the Aggies in anyway but i think they drop back to a middle of the pack team next year. Probably making the tournament in the 7-10 seed range but anybody is going to take a step back after losing the likes of an Acie Law the face of the program
I could see that. He single-handedly won them a bunch of those close games this year. Unless one of the kids can step up, they'll drop some of those games this year.

Besides, it's going to be tough to navigate through the Big XII without taking some hits.

big daddy russ
03-28-2007, 02:35 PM

$2 million a year? That's elite money for an elite coach. I guess the boys in the athletic dept really stepped up.

Macarthur
03-28-2007, 02:45 PM
$2 million a year? That's elite money for an elite coach. I guess the boys in the athletic dept really stepped up.

Glad they stepped up, also. That's the cost of business if you want to win basketball games. I'm to understand that the revenue has increased exponentially in the last couple of years so It's only fair he gets a piece of it.

g$$
03-28-2007, 03:13 PM

Kinda like Texas when Durant goes pro in April...?

On the Ags, John Lopez with the Houston Chronicle is reporting as stated above that Billy Gillispie will stay at A&M. Lopez is an Aggie & has several high-ranking sources in the athletic department. He can be goofy but he is usually dead-on concerning the Ags. Contract in the neighborhood of $2 million per year, reassurances to the commitment to his program, & breaking ground SOON on the new practice facility, etc. BCG is playing it right & getting a new deal. I don't blame him one bit.

Aggie basketball is not going away anytime soon by the way...

Txbroadcaster
03-28-2007, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by g$$

On the Ags, John Lopez with the Houston Chronicle is reporting as stated above that Billy Gillispie will stay at A&M. Lopez is an Aggie & has several high-ranking sources in the athletic department. He can be goofy but he is usually dead-on concerning the Ags. Contract in the neighborhood of $2 million per year, reassurances to the commitment to his program, & breaking ground SOON on the new practice facility, etc. BCG is playing it right & getting a new deal. I don't blame him one bit.

Aggie basketball is not going away anytime soon by the way...

the only thing I think that helps Texas is having 4 of 5 startes coming back if Durant does go pro..But they also will take a step back because they are losing THE GUY in the program

JasperDog94
03-28-2007, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by g$$
lol...Somebody says something about A&M taking a step down and you respond with a remark about Texas. What a shock.

I think Txbroadcaster is right. Both programs "could" take a step backwards. We'll have to wait and see.

Txbroadcaster
03-28-2007, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94

I think Txbroadcaster is right.

BEST post EVER LOL

When I say step back, I am not talking about either team falling to the NIT..but both having more up and down seasons. But I still like the talent at Texas with or without Durant

I do think we will see Barnes go back to a defensive game with a slower offense if Durant leaves

JasperDog94
03-28-2007, 03:24 PM
BEST post EVER LOL

When I say step back, I am not talking about either team falling to the NIT..but both having more up and down seasons. But I still like the talent at Texas with or without Durant

I do think we will see Barnes go back to a defensive game with a slower offense if Durant leaves Agreed.

g$$
03-28-2007, 03:31 PM
lol...Somebody says something about A&M taking a step down and you respond with a remark about Texas. What a shock.

I think Txbroadcaster is right. Both programs "could" take a step backwards. We'll have to wait and see.

Hey hoss, I was not taking a shot at Texas, just stating the obvious. Durant is a once in a lifetime talent & you just don't replace that overnight, if ever. Yes, Texas was young, but without Durant they would have been in the NIT. Durant is that good, period. He was UNANIMOUS All-American, the only one by the way on the list. Acie Law made 1st team too of course & will be sorely missed. But the cupboard is NOT bare.

I like Augustin at Texas, but that was Durant & everybody else. He had 30 in their loss to USC, but who else stepped up (Abrams played well too)? You cannot replace Durant. Can A&M survive without Law? It will be tough but BCG has recruited very well & has some studs coming in plus returns 3 starters too. A&M will have some ups & downs but the program is not going away, as was the POINT to begin with anyway. Next year will be different for both teams.

Adidas410s
03-28-2007, 03:32 PM

Did G$$ state the obvious...or did he state the obvious??? OK...thanks...now stop playing the UT homer card ;)

Adidas410s
03-28-2007, 03:34 PM
Have they gotten around to "balancing the budget" yet in that department?

Txbroadcaster
03-28-2007, 03:35 PM
Did G$$ state the obvious...or did he state the obvious??? OK...thanks...now stop playing the UT homer card ;)

I think the Obvious is BOTH teams will struggle to find their go to guy and if either do not find a go to guy they will struggle. But both teams have the talent, and the coaching coming back that you EXPECT them to figure it out and still be a contender to the Big 12 title.

Adidas410s
03-28-2007, 03:36 PM
I think the Obvious is BOTH teams will struggle to find their go to guy and if either do not find a go to guy they will struggle. But both teams have the talent, and the coaching coming back that you EXPECT them to figure it out and still be a contender to the Big 12 title.
:thumbsup:

g$$
03-28-2007, 03:36 PM

Answer: NO! Lost $6 million last year & counting with new contracts & new facilities. Better start winning BIG to pay the bills.

Thanks for the "obvious" clarification to our homer friends!

g$$
03-28-2007, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by g$$
A&M will have some ups & downs but the program is not going away, as was the POINT to begin with anyway. Next year will be different for both teams.

Could have sworn that is what I said previously...

Txbroadcaster
03-28-2007, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Could have sworn that is what I said previously...

Since you quoted yourself, I agree you said it earlier :D

big daddy russ
03-28-2007, 03:46 PM
I wouldn't have been able to tell you without g$$'s help, but I can tell you that they're never going to get around to it unless the football team starts winning on a consistent basis.

g$$
03-28-2007, 03:51 PM
I wouldn't have been able to tell you without g$$'s help, but I can tell you that they're never going to get around to it unless the football team starts winning on a consistent basis.

Exactly. The funny thing is A&M's overall program is doing very well, & football is way down the list. Old saying in college athletics: football drives the train, & basketball pays the bills (due to big $$ CBS contract for March Madness).

TXB: I quoted myself to show that I said BOTH teams have questions to answer next year. That is all. BTW, I truly hope Durant stays because it is good for college bball & the conference. But I still think he goes pro for obvious reasons.

Adidas410s
03-28-2007, 03:58 PM

selling a bunch of tickets at discounted rates sure isn't helping. Then again...if the team was winning 9+ games a year and consistently winning games against Texas, OU, Tech, and the other big schools they play...then selling out games wouldn't be a problem.

JasperDog94
03-28-2007, 04:17 PM
selling a bunch of tickets at discounted rates sure isn't helping But how do you know who to sell the tickets to when the lists are eaten?:evilgrin: :evilgrin:

big daddy russ
03-28-2007, 04:21 PM
selling a bunch of tickets at discounted rates sure isn't helping. Then again...if the team was winning 9+ games a year and consistently winning games against Texas, OU, Tech, and the other big schools they play...then selling out games wouldn't be a problem.
Funny thing, when I first got to CS in 2003, every game we went to (even the first one against Arkansas State) was packed. May not have been sold out, but there were people all over the place at the top of the stadium with no real bare spots.

Fast forward to this year, it was bad. Granted, A&M has the best 'following' of any college team I've ever seen, but the inconsistency and the reputation they're starting to build as a mediocre program has made many of the fringe fans lukewarm towards the football team.

Who knows, maybe Franny will turn it around this year.

g$$
03-28-2007, 04:26 PM
Funny thing, when I first got to CS in 2003, every game we went to (even the first one against Arkansas State) was packed. May not have been sold out, but there were people all over the place at the top of the stadium with no real bare spots.

Fast forward to this year, it was bad. Granted, A&M has the best 'following' of any college team I've ever seen, but the inconsistency and the reputation they're starting to build as a mediocre program has made many of the fringe fans lukewarm towards the football team.

Who knows, maybe Franny will turn it around this year.

Here's my prediction: Fran gets fired after this year, ending a 5-year run of mediocrity. I hope I am wrong. Road games vs. Miami, Mizzou, OU, Tech, & NEB spell doom. Remember this, after 4 yrs. he is 25-23 overall with exactly 2 wins combined vs. Texas & Tech (never beaten NEB or OU), 2 blow-out bowl losses, 1 loss to Baylor, & the worst loss in school history. That explains luke warm! Plus exorbitant ticket prices.

BCG actually has made the fire hotter for Fran because of his quick success turning around a horrible bball program. What has Fran done entering his 5th year?

LH Panther Mom
03-28-2007, 05:05 PM
But how do you know who to sell the tickets to when the lists are eaten?:evilgrin: :evilgrin: :clap: :clap: :clap: :D