PDA

View Full Version : hunting

smustangs
03-26-2007, 08:28 PM
i know we have some hunters on the board but what do yall want and what do yall use?

ASUFrisbeeStud
03-26-2007, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by smustangs
i know we have some hunters on the board but what do yall want and what do yall use?

Well right now with it being the season it is it would be pretty fun to go varmit huntin' with my bolt action .17

smustangs
03-26-2007, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by ASUFrisbeeStud
Well right now with it being the season it is it would be pretty fun to go varmit huntin' with my bolt action .17

nice i have a marlin .17 as well they are sweet lil guns. i do a lot of varmint hunting but i use a .204 or .223 most the time

ASUFrisbeeStud
03-26-2007, 08:49 PM
nice i have a marlin .17 as well they are sweet lil guns. i do a lot of varmint hunting but i use a .204 or .223 most the time

I have an ole Winchester 3030 lever action that is pretty fun to get out with open sights and shoot rabbits and 'coons with.

Reds fan
03-26-2007, 08:58 PM
Would love to have about 5000 acres in the South Texas Brush Country, but I have to get by leasing out west.

Spring turkey season is almost here, love callin' 'em in close.

For whitetail .243 and .25-06 are my favorite.

Dove, use a Remington 870, 28 gauge most of the time:)

big daddy russ
03-26-2007, 08:59 PM
I love lever actions. If I had a place to go, right now is a fun time to take out my 30/30 and go hog hunting out in the brush. Too bad I don't have a place to go.

I've always wanted a lever action .270, but as far as I know, you have to get 'em from either Browning (with an $800 price tag) or custom made (still not cheap), and I don't do enough hunting or make enough money to warrant buying one. As of right now, I have a Remington Model 870 .12 gauge with a synthetic stock that I use for my all-around gun (mostly duck and dove... that's what we've always gone for the most). Also have an old Winchester .410, a very old Colt. 45 (handed down from my great grandfather), and that 30/30.

My dad also has a nice collection, and when I'd need a rifle other than that 30/30, I'd just go to him. Used one of his 30-06's or a .270 for just about everything I needed.

Like I said, though, it's been years since I've done it. Probably four years now.

smustangs
03-26-2007, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by Reds fan
Would love to have about 5000 acres in the South Texas Brush Country, but I have to get by leasing out west.

Spring turkey season is almost here, love callin' 'em in close.

For whitetail .243 and .25-06 are my favorite.

Dove, use a Remington 870, 28 gauge most of the time:)

i use the .223 for deer as well

and for dove i use a remington 12 gauge

SintonFan
03-26-2007, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
I love lever actions. If I had a place to go, right now is a fun time to take out my 30/30 and go hog hunting out in the brush. Too bad I don't have a place to go.

I've always wanted a lever action .270, but as far as I know, you have to get 'em from either Browning (with an $800 price tag) or custom made (still not cheap), and I don't do enough hunting or make enough money to warrant buying one. As of right now, I have a Remington Model 870 .12 gauge with a synthetic stock that I use for my all-around gun (mostly duck and dove... that's what we've always gone for the most). Also have an old Winchester .410, a very old Colt. 45 (handed down from my great grandfather), and that 30/30.

My dad also has a nice collection, and when I'd need a rifle other than that 30/30, I'd just go to him. Used one of his 30-06's or a .270 for just about everything I needed.

Like I said, though, it's been years since I've done it. Probably four years now.
lol
I love my ole Marlin 30-30 lever action. We just planted some 40 acres of sweet corn near Beeville. Those hogs will root up too much of the planted corn. Let me know if you're gonna be around Beeville very soon.:)
:D

smustangs
03-26-2007, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
lol
I love my ole Marlin 30-30 lever action. We just planted some 40 acres of sweet corn near Beeville. Those hogs will root up too much of the planted corn. Let me know if you're gonna be around Beeville very soon.:)

we had the same problem w/ our wheat field so 1 night i shot 4 and set a trap and had to leave for school but my dad caught 14 that week and they havent been back to our field again

SintonFan
03-26-2007, 10:40 PM
we had the same problem w/ our wheat field so 1 night i shot 4 and set a trap and had to leave for school but my dad caught 14 that week and they havent been back to our field again
Beeville is horrible even though folks trap like crazy. Here around Sinton our Office worker saw about 40 or so cross old CR 35 heading toward "the Creek" just the other day. Those things breed worse than rabbits! I say SHOOT THEM!

smustangs
03-26-2007, 10:40 PM
Beeville is horrible even though folks trap like crazy. Here around Sinton our Office worker saw about 40 or so cross old CR 35 heading toward "the Creek" just the other day. Those things breed worse than rabbits! I say SHOOT THEM!

there bad around here too we shoot all of em' we can they tear up fields run off the deer and tear up fence too

SintonFan
03-26-2007, 10:41 PM
I do often go shoot as many as I can find just after planting. It draws them in everytime.

smustangs
03-26-2007, 10:43 PM
I do often go shoot as many as I can find just after planting. It draws them in everytime.

yes it does, i shot this one about a week ago

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u157/smustangs/PICT0019.jpg

SintonFan
03-26-2007, 10:48 PM
I'm think of getting a better scope so I can hit 200 yards with my ole Marlin.
Dang friggin hogs. That pic made me happy smustangs.:D

smustangs
03-26-2007, 11:00 PM
I'm think of getting a better scope so I can hit 200 yards with my ole Marlin.
Dang friggin hogs. That pic made me happy smustangs.:D

i have a few more haha
http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u157/smustangs/200lbboar.jpg
http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u157/smustangs/clintwithahog.jpg
^my best friends first hog

SintonFan
03-26-2007, 11:02 PM
lol
Ok, I might have to break out the 30-06 now.:D

smustangs
03-26-2007, 11:03 PM
lol
Ok, I might have to break out the 30-06 now.:D
haha that was done w/ a .204

SintonFan
03-26-2007, 11:05 PM
haha that was done w/ a .204
Yes, but my aim isn't near as good as yours is I'm sure. So no chance taking...:D

smustangs
03-26-2007, 11:06 PM
Yes, but my aim isn't near as good as yours is I'm sure. So no chance taking...:D

haha the first hog was at 221 steps and the second one was at 40 steps haha not sure how far clints was

SintonFan
03-26-2007, 11:12 PM
and the second one was at 40 steps
40 steps? Friggin dang bold hogs!
I'd pull out my Buck Mark at that point but I'd be scared the shot might ricochet and bite my butt.:D :(

smustangs
03-26-2007, 11:15 PM
40 steps? Friggin dang bold hogs!
I'd pull out my Buck Mark at that point but I'd be scared the shot might ricochet and bite my butt.:D :(

well i just got lucky and snuck up on em' in my truck the wind was blowin real hard towards me so they chouldnt hear me very well and i saw em' and threw it out the window and blasted em'

SintonFan
03-26-2007, 11:18 PM
well i just got lucky and snuck up on em' in my truck the wind was blowin real hard towards me so they chouldnt hear me very well and i saw em' and threw it out the window and blasted em'
Borat: "Nice!":D

smustangs
03-26-2007, 11:19 PM
Borat: "Nice!":D

haha i loved that movie
"Give me your tears gypsy or i will take them, do not attempt to shrink me."

big daddy russ
03-26-2007, 11:24 PM
lol
Haha, will do man.

And smustangs, those were some good-sized hogs. We get a lot of javelinas mixed in with the big boys down in S. Texas, so you wind up shooting a lot of the rats along with the 150- or 200-lb. ferals.

smustangs
03-26-2007, 11:26 PM
Haha, will do man.

And smustangs, those were some good-sized hogs. We get a lot of javelinas mixed in with the big boys down in S. Texas, so you wind up shooting a lot of the rats along with the 150- or 200-lb. ferals.

never killed a javelina but would like too we dont have those in west texas

SintonFan
03-26-2007, 11:30 PM
Think "hogs" but 10 times more stinky and nasty! My first bag was a javelina at 12 and that sucker wasn't gonna go down even with a clean shot.

big daddy russ
03-26-2007, 11:31 PM
That's a good thing. Those things are rats. Can't eat 'em and they do as much damage as the big hogs... and they're meaner to boot.

Actually, I've heard that they're not even a hog. I hear they're in the same family as rats, which would make a lot of sense 'cause they're pests to everyone I know.

SintonFan
03-26-2007, 11:32 PM
That's a good thing. Those things are rats. Can't eat 'em and they do as much damage as the big hogs... and they're meaner to boot.

Actually, I've heard that they're not even a hog. I hear they're in the same family as rats, which would make a lot of sense 'cause they're pests to everyone I know.
Didn't they use them in "Princess Bride" for the swamp scene?:thinking:

JJ7997
03-27-2007, 12:11 AM
Love taking down hogs at long distances with a Springfield 30.06 or close with a lever action 30.30. They're so bad around here that the chopper is flying now . I'd love to get to fly and shoot, but I doubt they allow that.