PDA

View Full Version : Officiating question: Georgetown non-traveling call vs. Vandy

g$$
03-26-2007, 05:05 PM
Vandy should have beaten G'town. The kid changed pivot feet = traveling on game winner. I don't care what Billy Packer says, that is a walk, period (he called it the George Mikan move). I am a rules guy & I have watched that move many times on replay. His right foot was his pivot foot; then when he went to make his move he lifted his pivot foot BEFORE the shot was released. That is a walk, same as when you must have put the ball on the floor before your pivot foot leaves the ground on a dribble drive. I know officials miss calls, but that was bad.

Bottom line, he changed pivot feet. I yelled at the tv when it happened. He gained an advantage, thus a travel. The jump stop rules have been liberalized as well.

Any thoughts or officials out there?

(Yes - I know Kareem, Olajuwon, Jordan, Magic, etc. all got away with stuff too.)

BIG_STICK
03-26-2007, 05:14 PM
No it was not a traveling call. They went over why it wasn't before the semi yesterday i cant recall exactly what they said though

g$$
03-26-2007, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by BIG_STICK
No it was not a traveling call. They went over why it wasn't before the semi yesterday i cant recall exactly what they said though

NO, Billy Packer made some stupid statements (read above). It was a travel, period, by rule. Just because they failed to call it does not make it right. You cannot change pivot feet & then make your move. It happened quickly & fooled 3 refs.

coach
03-26-2007, 05:17 PM
it was a travel but its over time to stop talking about it and forget about it that was two games ago....

FormerBellvilleBrahma
03-26-2007, 05:19 PM
Watch out people on this board hate it when your right about the officals being wrong!!!!!!!!

g$$
03-26-2007, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by coach
it was a travel but its over time to stop talking about it and forget about it that was two games ago....

Hey, I am not a fan of either team but rather just wanted some feedback on rules. To me, it was a travel & fairly obvious.

neck_06
03-26-2007, 05:27 PM
he traveled. period.

g$$
03-26-2007, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by neck_06
he traveled. period.

See, we play by the rules in Brazoria County!

(Good luck to you also, hang in there. Lots of ball left.)

Bull's-eye
03-26-2007, 05:33 PM
Didn't the ball come loose? This might allow the player to re-establish his pivot foot. I didn't believe it was traveling, but I have Georgetown in my bracket :D

In all honesty, it was probably a traveling violation. I think that since it happened at a crucial stage of the game, the officials tend to let the players decide the game.

g$$
03-26-2007, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by Bull's-eye
Didn't the ball come loose? This might allow the player to re-establish his pivot foot. I didn't believe it was traveling, but I have Georgetown in my bracket :D

In all honesty, it was probably a traveling violation. I think that since it happened at a crucial stage of the game, the officials tend to let the players decide the game.

He regained control of the ball & clearly established his right foot as his pivot foot. Then it all happened as stated above...

smustangs
03-26-2007, 05:36 PM

thats fine to let players decide the game but when it involves one player getting away w/ a travel to decide the game then its a problem

Bull's-eye
03-26-2007, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Vandy should have beaten G'town. The kid changed pivot feet = traveling on game winner.

This is assuming that every other call in the game was correct. I'm sure there could of been some previous questionable calls that went against Georgetown.

Adidas410s
03-26-2007, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by smustangs
thats fine to let players decide the game but when it involves one player getting away w/ a travel to decide the game then its a problem

You always hear people say that the officials shouldn't decide the game. Aren't they deciding the game by not making a call though??? :thinking:

Bull19
03-26-2007, 05:48 PM
I think that since it happened at a crucial stage of the game, the officials tend to let the players decide the game.

I NEVER HAVE UNDERSTOOD THAT. IF THEY WONT MAKE CALLS IN CERTAIN CRUCIAL SITUAITONS WHATS REALLY THE POINT OF EVEN HAVING THE REFS? I MEAN THEIR JOB IS TO OFFICIATE THE GAME SO WHY DOESNT THAT MEAN TO OFFICIATE THE ENTIRE GAME?

g$$
03-26-2007, 05:51 PM
This is assuming that every other call in the game was correct. I'm sure there could of been some previous questionable calls that went against Georgetown.

When a non-call decides the game with about 1 second left, then yes it decided the game. Esp. when a clear rule was violated & that team wins.

I agree - refs should make a call at any point in the game if warranted. They did not in this one.

maestro
03-26-2007, 10:05 PM
agree....it was a travel...

don't even bring up the abuse of the jump stop rule...

shame that it came down to that play.....

but if you noticed, he was using that same move sunday.

i think that his intentions are to make that second pivot a jump hook....but occasionally he stays on the floor too long.

i also agree with the statment, if the refs aren't going to call the tough calls....you can get volunteer refs from the stands to call the easy ones...GREAT POINT....

people love the AND ONE SHOWS....and it's ruining organized hoops..

g$$
03-27-2007, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by maestro
agree....it was a travel...

don't even bring up the abuse of the jump stop rule...

You got that right! I see lots of hopping then 2 more steps on the jump stop nowadays. That is 3 steps last time I checked! I was taught you had to land on both feet, like one big gather step, etc. Street ball has ruined organized bball.

BTW, I simply cannot stand Billy Packer. He is old, senile, plays favorites, & annoying. Bring on Bill Raftery with Jim Nantz!