PDA

View Full Version : College Student or Early Days Meals

Bullaholic
03-26-2007, 03:18 PM
This ought to be right up G2's alley....

When you were a college student or a young single/married---What kind of money-saving meals did you eat to survive?

I ate a lot of mayo or ketchup sandwiches. Lots of spam, too.
Ramen noodles were big, also. Back in the days of bottle returns---we cashed in a few of those, too.

Truly, this is a "We were so poor....." thread.

BuffyMars
03-26-2007, 03:26 PM
Get in good with the basketball girls that worked at McDonald's.

Ramen (and I still love it to this day!)
Mac'N'Cheese
Angel hair & tomato sauce (not always meat)
PB&J
$5 Hot N Ready Little Ceasar's Pizza
Spaghettios
Soup
Pasta Salad (boxed)
Mashed potatoes in pouch (just add water :thumbsup: )

Etc, etc, etc.

Txbroadcaster
03-26-2007, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by BuffyMars
Get in good with the basketball girls that worked at McDonald's.

Ramen (and I still love it to this day!)
Mac'N'Cheese
Angel hair & tomato sauce (not always meat)
PB&J
$5 Hot N Ready Little Ceasar's Pizza
Spaghettios
Soup
Pasta Salad (boxed)
Mashed potatoes in pouch (just add water :thumbsup: )

Etc, etc, etc.

What she said

sahen
03-26-2007, 03:35 PM
i eat a lot of hot dogs, 69 cents for an 8 pack of weenies, thats like 4 meals right there...plus a dollar for bread

mac and cheese is cheap

cici's pizza works well if you dont eat the whole day then u can go there and tank up....several meals in one...:)

pirate4state
03-26-2007, 03:40 PM
Ramen :hairpunk:
rice & beans :D

BuffyMars
03-26-2007, 03:41 PM
Beenie weenies! Yummm! :wave:

44INAROW
03-26-2007, 03:44 PM
Lots and Lots of Tuna Fish and Mac and Cheese - We'd have Sloppy Joe night, Spaghetti night, Pork and Beans with weiners, and bacon wrapped hamburger patties. Friday night was "liquid supper" lol and Saturday we'd go out to eat - H SALT FISH AND CHIPS in Houston - all you could eat and we'd take home enough to eat for Sunday lunch..... I can remember having about $40 a week for ALL groceries and that included beer and cigarettes (yuck) anyway - we obviously didn't starve and we were happy as clams...........

BuffyMars
03-26-2007, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
Lots and Lots of Tuna Fish and Mac and Cheese - We'd have Sloppy Joe night, Spaghetti night, Pork and Beans with weiners, and bacon wrapped hamburger patties. Friday night was "liquid supper" lol and Saturday we'd go out to eat - H SALT FISH AND CHIPS in Houston - all you could eat and we'd take home enough to eat for Sunday lunch..... I can remember having about $40 a week for ALL groceries and that included beer and cigarettes (yuck) anyway - we obviously didn't starve and we were happy as clams...........

Amen! :D

Txbroadcaster
03-26-2007, 03:50 PM

So funny how when you look back those days are GREATNESS...We make FAR more money now in one week then we did in a month back then, but something so fun about that lifestyle. I think it was KNOWING at some point it would be better because of the education we were getting, so we were able to enjoy the scrounge for food lifestyle and not get to down about it

Highschoolfan78
03-26-2007, 03:51 PM
hamburger helper has been my hero as of late

big daddy russ
03-26-2007, 03:54 PM
At my 'poorest,' I ate the same thing every day:

Breakfast: A small bowl of cereal if I could afford the milk. If not, bologna and mustard sandwich.
Lunch: Bologna/mustard sandwich
Dinner: Chicken done up different ways, maybe a side of corn if I could afford it. If not, bologna/mustard sandwich.

I still remember the prices on all of this because this is what I bought everytime I went to the grocery store.

$.59 HEB Extra Thin White bread
$.89 16-pack of generic bologna
$.42 Generic mustard (tended to last a while, at least two months)

That could feed me for five days if needed. One time, I stretched it to two weeks, only eating two bologna sandwiches a day. "Extras," when I could afford them, included the following:

Roughly $2 for a big bag of generic cereal.
$2.79 Gallon of Hill Country Fare milk
$.39 small can of Hill Country Fare/generic brand corn/sweet corn/green beans, etc... always only ate a single serving and saved the rest for another time.
$.79 bag of sugar (if I could afford it, I'd have sweet tea... I've actually gone into fast food restaurants and "borrowed" a bunch of bags of sugar because I got so tired of drinking tapwater)

I'd also buy Mac n' Cheese and Ramen from time to time, to vary stuff up a little, but it was more expensive than most of the stuff I bought. There used to be a little "bargain" grocery store in College Station that I loved. Living off a food allowance of less than $30 a month (usually closer to the $20 range), you tend to learn how to survive on very little.

smustangs
03-26-2007, 03:56 PM
ramen
spam
noodles and tomato sauce (w/ or w/out ham)
mac n cheese(found it for 59 cents at walmart)
tuna fish
spaghettios (50 cents a can)
ranch style beans

neck_06
03-26-2007, 05:23 PM
ramen noodles

crzyjournalist03
03-26-2007, 06:04 PM
Regular meals during my early college years included:

6 Jack in the Box Tacos (for $3.23 with tax)
2 McDonald's double cheeseburgers and a McChicken ($3.25 w/tax)
Great Value brand beef ravioli and spaghettio's ($.79 a can)
Delimex Taquitos (the box cost over four bucks, but lasted for about five meals)
Great Value brand Alfredo, Chicken, or Butter flavored noodles (around a dollar each)
Great Value brand chili w/beans ($.98 a can)
Drive home to Forney for mom's cooking (about $16 in gas money round-trip, but the BEST value of them all!)

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
03-26-2007, 07:03 PM
Spaghettio's, Ravioli, Easy Mac, PB&J sandwiches, Ramen in the cup, and pretty much anything edible that I can get my hands on, I am a growing boy.

44INAROW
03-26-2007, 08:31 PM
speaking of food - lil44 called about 4:30 today to tell me he and Donovan were on their way home from Rockport - they were going to stop and grab a bite to eat and then head home - so I am thinking "wow, they are going to get to eat @ some wonderful seafood place like Los Comales, The Big Fisherman or something like that" - NO - they go to freaking TACO HELL..... he can't go through a town with Taco Hell in it without stopping :rolleyes: and to think of all the wonderful food they passed up :mad: :doh:

smustangs
03-26-2007, 08:32 PM
speaking of food - lil44 called about 4:30 today to tell me he and Donovan were on their way home from Rockport - they were going to stop and grab a bite to eat and then head home - so I am thinking "wow, they are going to get to eat @ some wonderful seafood place like Los Comales, The Big Fisherman or something like that" - NO - they go to freaking TACO HELL..... he can't go through a town with Taco Hell in it without stopping :rolleyes: and to think of all the wonderful food they passed up :mad: :doh:

haha i would have had to get some good fresh sea food down there