PDA

View Full Version : Arkansas fires Heath, eyeing Gillispie

Maroon87
03-26-2007, 02:18 PM
FOXSports.com

Arkansas coach Stan Heath was fired this afternoon after leading his team to consecutive 20-win seasons and a berth in the NCAA tournament this season, according to sources close to the Razorbacks program.

Heath was informed by Arkansas athletic director Frank Broyles just hours ago and will receive a setttlement in the vicinity of $1 million.
According to the same sources, Heath will likely be replaced by Texas A&M coach Billy Gillispie. One source even maintained that Gillispie has agreed in principle and could be introduced as soon as Monday.

Gillispie has led Texas A&M to a 70-26 record over the past three seasons. The Aggies reached the second round of the NCAA tournament last year and were eliminated in the Sweet 16 this season.

Arkansas finished 21-14 this past season and returns nearly everyone while the Aggies lose Acie Law IV and potentially big man Joseph Jones.

Jeff Goodman is a senior college basketball writer for FOXSports.com.

Phil C
03-26-2007, 02:22 PM
WHOOOOOOOOOOAH PIG PHOOOOOOEY!!!

:mad:

JasperDog94
03-26-2007, 02:23 PM
This would be terrible news for the Aggies.:(

I wouldn't bet on it though.

Phil C
03-26-2007, 02:24 PM
Don't go Billy! The Arkansas motto for successful basketball coaches is

"You Win - Your're Fired!"

:)

Macarthur
03-26-2007, 02:31 PM
He is a fool if he leaves A&M for Ark.

Makes no sense what so ever. Can anyone explain why that would make sense?

Reds fan
03-26-2007, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by Macarthur

Nope...

sahen
03-26-2007, 02:34 PM
As great as this would be for my Bears it would suck that much for the Aggies...I kinda liked to watch Gillispie's teams even though they were wearing maroon, they worked hard the whole game....However I wont believe until I see the announcement made official, Arkansas has a tendency to think they should get who they want because they are Arkansas and seem to over estimate their worth in the college sports world....

Adidas410s
03-26-2007, 02:35 PM
Vote scheduled on Gillispie's contract

01:58 AM CDT on Monday, March 26, 2007
By RACHEL COHEN / The Dallas Morning News

The Texas A&M System Board of Regents is scheduled to vote Thursday to approve proposed enhancements to men's basketball coach Billy Gillispie's contract. The changes include a raise, an extension and increases in retention bonuses, according to an athletic department source.

Gillispie, who in three years transformed a program that went 0-16 in the Big 12 into a top-10 team, had received a raise of $300,000 after each of his first two seasons. A retention bonus – in which Gillispie would receive $1 million if he stayed through the end of the contract – was also added to his deal a year ago.

Gillispie's current contract pays more than $1.2 million annually and runs through 2012.

The Regents convene for a regularly scheduled meeting Thursday and Friday in College Station. The item regarding Gillispie's contract was added to the Regents' agenda Friday.

Johnny Utah
03-26-2007, 02:35 PM
Believe it or not men, Arkansas has better facilities, stronger alumni in hoops, more money and are in a conference that basketball is BIG. I doubt if BCG will go after it, but they will offer some BIG TIME BUCKS to him. Going to be interesting. Phil C, Arkansas is a premier job in college basketball circles. They will get a big name coach.

sahen
03-26-2007, 02:36 PM

Arkansas does have a great hoops tradition unlike A&M, but if he has moderately sucessful seasons they will fire him like it was said above.....The Aggies would be willing to keep him and let him build as long as he keeps making the NCAA or NIT every year...They also would be more forgiving in rebuilding years than Arkansas if he doesnt make the tourney.....

JasperDog94
03-26-2007, 02:36 PM
I just can't see him leaving.

Adidas410s
03-26-2007, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by Johnny Utah
Believe it or not men, Arkansas has better facilities, stronger alumni in hoops, more money and are in a conference that basketball is BIG. I doubt if BCG will go after it, but they will offer some BIG TIME BUCKS to him. Going to be interesting. Phil C, Arkansas is a premier job in college basketball circles. They will get a big name coach.

When did the SEC become a power basketball conference?? There has always been Kentucky (7 of the SEC's 8 National Champs)...and Arkansas was very good under Nolan Richardson but they haven't been an elite team for close to 10 years now. Florida was a cellar dweller of the SEC until Billy Donovan moved in. Not much else of note really. Kentucky has won 43 conference championships. 2nd place is split between Tennessee and LSU...WITH 8!!! :eek:

Fotbol
03-26-2007, 02:49 PM

Money!

big daddy russ
03-26-2007, 02:50 PM
I'd believe that Arkie has better facilities and stronger alums in hoops, but they DO NOT have more money than A&M. As a matter of fact, there are only three athletic programs in the nation (one of them being in Austin) who have more money than A&M.

Not only that, but the A&M alumni base is also one of the seven wealthiest (at least, last I checked) in college sports. I'm sure g$$ could elaborate more than I can, but I can guarantee that if he leaves, it won't be because Arkie is offering him more dinero. A&M can and will match any offer that Arkansas puts together. They're that high on him over in CS.

Right now, BCG is the BMOC at A&M and they'll do any and everything they can to keep him.

Oh, and the upgrades they're doing to the hoops facilities at A&M (not only to Reed, but elsewhere on campus, too) would put them on par with the Arkie's, UCLA's (that's right), and Arizonas of the world (excellent facilities... just below top programs like Duke, UNC, Kentucky, UT, and Florida).

Macarthur
03-26-2007, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by Fotbol
Money!

Big Daddy Russ is right. A&M could buy the whole state of ARkansas if they wanted. IF he does leave, it won't be because Arkansas outbid A&M.

Also, I'm to understand when the new facilites are done down at A&M they will be one of the best in the nation, and that includes Kentucky, Duke, UNC, etc.

I can understand the tradition of a Kentucky, but this one just doesn't make sense to me.

Bulldog_12
03-26-2007, 02:58 PM
It's hard to believe. VERY hard. BUT, no matter how far-fetched it may seem, I am still nervous. I HATE this time of year. lol I can't wait for the regents to beef up the contract so I know he will be here for quite some time.

Txbroadcaster
03-26-2007, 03:01 PM
It is not about CAN A&M match it but WILL they.

I know I know he is BMOC right now..BUT if Ark or any big school throws a ton of money his way, A&M might decide to balk at it. Agiain I think it would have to be a HUGE amount. But just because A&M basketball was great this year, does not mean 100% they are ready to throw wads and wads of cash at him.

Hansum Stranger
03-26-2007, 03:02 PM
Arkansas and Kentucky are destination colleges for their respective states. A&M has to battle it out with UT for recuits. The right coach in Arkansas or Kentucky and either one of those teams will be a top notch program in a year or two.

big daddy russ
03-26-2007, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
It is not about CAN A&M match it but WILL they.

I know I know he is BMOC right now..BUT if Ark or any big school throws a ton of money his way, A&M might decide to balk at it. Agiain I think it would have to be a HUGE amount. But just because A&M basketball was great this year, does not mean 100% they are ready to throw wads and wads of cash at him.
To my knowledge, since Tubby left KU, Tom Crean is currently the highest-paid coach in college. Tubby made just under $2 million. Crean makes something like $1.6 million.

I can't remember exact figures, but I remember thinking that was a huge step down from one to two. BCG makes about $1.2 million I think, and the regents are getting ready to approve another raise a mere one year after his last one.

I really believe that A&M will match anyone anywhere up to $2 million. Above that, I just don't know. BUT, like I said, if Gillispie goes, it's not because of the money. And, like Bulldog 12 said, that's what scares everyone in Aggieland.

Originally posted by Hansum Stranger
Arkansas and Kentucky are destination colleges for their respective states. A&M has to battle it out with UT for recuits. The right coach in Arkansas or Kentucky and either one of those teams will be a top notch program in a year or two.
The state of Kentucky has a population of a little over 4 million. Arkansas has about 2.7 million.

Texas has a population of nearly 23 million, over three times the combined population of Arkie and Kentucky.

Those two schools have always been known for being strong out of state. Nolan Richardson was especially well-known for plowing through Texas, Louisiana, and Mississippi. Pitino was well-known for getting all the big names out of Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, the Virginias, and Tennessee.

Arkansas' stranglehold on the Lone Star State ended in the late-90's, with the emergence of UT as a respected power and traditional Big XII powers Kansas and OSU gaining a stronger foothold. Since then, with the emergences of Tech, Oklahoma, and later, A&M, Arkansas has been looking for scraps here in Texas.

Kentucky, however, still commands the loyalty of most of Ohio's, Tennessee's, and the Virginia's elite prospects, and splits prospects in Illinois and Indiana.

Arkansas can come back, but they must be successful first of all, and they must also regain their ability to recruit Texas and Louisiana. Sure, Gillispie could do that, but speaking purely from a recruiting standpoint, he'd much rather have Texas' leftovers in a state of 23 million than the absolute best talent a state of 2.7 million has to offer. Whether or not everyone likes it, A&M is still the second-biggest thing in this state.

On that note, however, Arkie has still recruited better than A&M even since Gillispie got to CS. Sure, BCG landed five-star seven-footer DeAndre Jordan and a couple of four-star kids (Bryan Davis and Donald Sloan), but Arkie has a lot of tradition going for them.

And just to let everyone know, I'm not saying Gillispie wouldn't leave. Every single one of us has dreamt of playing for some of the legendary programs in the land. That's the mystique factor.

I don't care how much you hate Notre Dame, if you were a senior in HS and Charlie Weis (or Knute Rockne, or Ara Parsegian, or Lou Holtz, or whomever) came to you and offered to show you around, you couldn't tell me that you wouldn't be completely awed while walking past Touchdown Jesus into Notre Dame Stadium.

There might also be other factors, who knows. Maybe he saw that the Big XII is getting tougher (Kansas State, OSU, UT, Kansas, they're all tough) while the SEC, particularly the West, is way down. Maybe there are some internal politics we don't know about. Maybe he just likes it in Fayetteville.

g$$
03-26-2007, 04:01 PM

More bball traditon yes, more $$ NO. A&M will not lose a wallet fight to Arkansas, period. If he leaves it is for other reasons.

Arkansas has been down for years, A&M is on the rise. I sure hope we can keep him...

g$$
03-26-2007, 04:13 PM
Big Daddy Russ is right. A&M could buy the whole state of ARkansas if they wanted. IF he does leave, it won't be because Arkansas outbid A&M.

Also, I'm to understand when the new facilites are done down at A&M they will be one of the best in the nation, and that includes Kentucky, Duke, UNC, etc.

I can understand the tradition of a Kentucky, but this one just doesn't make sense to me.

Russ is right about the $$ aspect. A&M has a wealthy donor base & they love to give back to the University - guys like Wehner, Mitchell, Adams, Mays, Bright family, etc. $$ is not an issue. Texas has a bigger budget but that is only because they spilt the dept. into men's & women's athletics, so lots of overhead, etc.

As for facilities, A&M committed $20 million to men's & women's basketball this past year. A new indoor practice facility is in the works including new locker rooms, lounge, weights, gyms, etc. Reed Arena now has a new scoreboard & ribbon boards, etc. Seats can be added to increase capacity if needed behind one of the goals. Facilities are on par with anybody now once finished.

The point is this: he may leave but it will not be because we lost a wallet fight. Other factors are at work here too...

Txbroadcaster
03-26-2007, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Russ is right about the $$ aspect. A&M has a wealthy donor base & they love to give back to the University - guys like Wehner, Mitchell, Adams, Mays, Bright family, etc. $$ is not an issue. Texas has a bigger budget but that is only because they spilt the dept. into men's & women's athletics, so lots of overhead, etc.

As for facilities, A&M committed $20 million to men's & women's basketball this past year. A new indoor practice facility is in the works including new locker rooms, lounge, weights, gyms, etc. Reed Arena now has a new scoreboard & ribbon boards, etc. Seats can be added to increase capacity if needed behind one of the goals. Facilities are on par with anybody now once finished.

The point is this: he may leave but it will not be because we lost a wallet fight. Other factors are at work here too...

IF and of course it is a HUGE IF the source is correct, sounds like hehas already left

g$$
03-26-2007, 04:19 PM
Not looking good. More than one outlet now reporting he is gone...supposedly a power struggle with Bill Byrne. I hope calmer heads prevail in the end.

Txbroadcaster
03-26-2007, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Not looking good. More than one outlet now reporting he is gone...supposedly a power struggle with Bill Byrne. I hope calmer heads prevail in the end.

Edit..I was incorrect

g$$
03-26-2007, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
As soon as you say that..DMN is saying it is a false rumor..we will have to see

Sure hope you are right buddy! Maybe Billy is just negotiating a little bit...he is a Texas boy born & bred & I hope that carries the day. Plus he has said numerous times that he is loyal to his kids.

We'll see...

Bulldog_12
03-26-2007, 04:34 PM
Andy Katz was just on ESPNNews and said Billy is still here as far as he knows. They talked yesterday and said that no offer has even been made. Katz and Gottlieb both agreed that only UK would stand a chance of taking Gillispie.

This is slightly comforting, although this is the same Andy Katz that said Amaker, the coach at Michigan, wouldn't get fired either. We see how accurate that was.

g$$
03-26-2007, 04:35 PM
This may be the clincher: Billy Gillispie's website now takes you straight to Aggie athletics, & makes no mention of him as coach anymore. A&M nor Billy have returned calls either thru the media. Not looking good Ags.

Unless a sudden change of heart, I think he is gone. This stinks big-time.

Bulldog_12
03-26-2007, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by g$$
This may be the clincher: Billy Gillispie's website now takes you straight to Aggie athletics, & makes no mention of him as coach anymore. A&M nor Billy have returned calls either thru the media. Not looking good Ags.

Unless a sudden change of heart, I think he is gone. This stinks big-time.

Its been that way for a looooong time. fwiw It's just a media reach.

g$$
03-26-2007, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by Bulldog_12
Its been that way for a looooong time. fwiw

Why? If he is still coach, then why is his website down? His bio is still there on the A&M page fwiw. I don't know man, but not looking good.

g$$
03-26-2007, 04:43 PM
Its been that way for a looooong time. fwiw It's just a media reach.

Billy is on the radio here in Houston all the time with John Lopez, also an Aggie & Chronicle writer. John cannot reach him either. Does not bode well...

Bulldog_12
03-26-2007, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Why? If he is still coach, then why is his website down? His bio is still there on the A&M page fwiw. I don't know man, but not looking good.

The Gillispie site has been down for a long time. I wouldn't worry about THAT as being the tell-tale sign. Also, he might not be answering because it is pure craziness right now.

JasperDog94
03-26-2007, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Why? If he is still coach, then why is his website down? His bio is still there on the A&M page fwiw. I don't know man, but not looking good. Glass half empty.

The Gillispie site has been down for a long time. I wouldn't worry about THAT as being the tell-tale sign. Also, he might not be answering because it is pure craziness right now. Glass half full.

We'll just have to wait and see what happens.

g$$
03-26-2007, 04:49 PM
The Gillispie site has been down for a long time. I wouldn't worry about THAT as being the tell-tale sign. Also, he might not be answering because it is pure craziness right now.

Hope you are right. Seems he would make a statement one way or another though ASAP, esp. if he was staying. And A&M should put out some fires too.

Stay true Billy!! You have a good thing going & bball is stronger than ever in Aggieland.

Bulldog_12
03-26-2007, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Hope you are right. Seems he would make a statement one way or another though ASAP, esp. if he was staying. And A&M should put out some fires too.

Stay true Billy!! You have a good thing going & bball is stronger than ever in Aggieland.

The word around the Athletics Department right now is that there is no offer as of now, although Arky has made contact a few times. Most people around here arent sure how the "agree in principle" rumors have come around.

JJ7997
03-27-2007, 01:22 AM
Arkansas needs to go the hell away ! :mad: :mad: :mad:

bulldogman06
03-27-2007, 03:09 AM
Originally posted by JJ7997
Arkansas needs to go the hell away ! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Oh man, Im so nervous right now. Dont leave Billy.

District303aPastPlayer
03-27-2007, 10:43 AM
i just keep thinking "why would he want to leave A&M when he has a great thing going... recruiting will be easier... and he is turning around their entire program..."