PDA

View Full Version : Jasper Hires Thomas Brooks

setxsports
03-26-2007, 12:27 PM
from smaoky.com and **********.com

Monday, 12:15pm)

KTBB Sports and Smoaky.com has learned John Tyler head football coach Thomas Brooks has accepted the same job at Jasper High School.

This after Brooks turned the job down earlier this month.

Brooks met with his assistants this morning and according to one coach said, "this is the toughest decision I've ever had to make, but I have to do what's best for my family."

Brooks met with his players today during athletic period and informed them of his decision.

Tyler ISD athletic department has called a press conference for 3:30pm, where Coach Brooks is expected to discuss his decision.

A source within the Jasper I.S.D. confirmed they hope to take a candidate's name to the school board at a noon meeting on Tuesday.

kaorder1999
03-26-2007, 12:29 PM
wow...that is shocking.

kaorder1999
03-26-2007, 12:30 PM
they come back to him with a better compensatory offer?

setxsports
03-26-2007, 12:36 PM
Jasper just got alot better!!!!!!!!!!

duckbutter
03-26-2007, 01:08 PM
Personally I'm disapointed with the choice. He had his shot with one of the most talented 3a teams I have ever seen and blew it, what makes them think he can get it done this time. JMO

JasperDog94
03-26-2007, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by duckbutter
Personally I'm disapointed with the choice. He had his shot with one of the most talented 3a teams I have ever seen and blew it, what makes them think he can get it done this time. JMO He never coached Jasper when they were in 3A.:doh:

Bulldog_12
03-26-2007, 01:18 PM
I think it is a great hire if it happens. He has had success everywhere he has gone, including Jasper. Let's not forget he established the system that has fueled the Dogs for the past few years. I think he will right the ship and the Dogs will once again take their place at the top!

JasperDog94
03-26-2007, 01:18 PM
This is a great day for Jasper football!!!!

Bulldog_12
03-26-2007, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
This is a great day for Jasper football!!!!

Actually, tomorrow will be. Maybe ;)

smustangs
03-26-2007, 01:20 PM
great hire for jasper

JasperDog94
03-26-2007, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by Bulldog_12
Actually, tomorrow will be. Maybe ;) Oh yeah....I forgot to add the "maybe".:D

Adidas410s
03-26-2007, 01:27 PM
Definitely surprising that he turned it down...and then took the job...

JasperDog94
03-26-2007, 01:29 PM
I told ya it would be a surprise.:D :D

Bullaholic
03-26-2007, 01:36 PM
At least Jasper knows what they are getting---and that is worth a bunch. I think this a good move for Jasper, and I hope this coach can return them to their days of glory.

YBS
03-26-2007, 01:39 PM
I'm happy to see he's back. Hopefully this means more double-digit winning seasons are in our future.

JD94: How long had you known? Since last week?

duckbutter
03-26-2007, 01:43 PM
He never coached Jasper when they were in 3A.:doh: Sorry, my memory must be fading with old age....you sure?

Bulldog_12
03-26-2007, 01:47 PM
Sorry, my memory must be fading with old age....you sure?

Yeah, Lauve's first year was 3a with Jorrie and Red.

setxsports
03-26-2007, 01:49 PM
Coach Brooks is a great person and coach! Jasper is back.

JasperDog94
03-26-2007, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by YBS
JD94: How long had you known? Since last week? Yeah. I've been sooooo excited, but I couldn't say anything. This is great news!!!:cheerl: :cheerl: :cheerl:

JasperDog94
03-26-2007, 01:54 PM
Sorry, my memory must be fading with old age....you sure? Jasper lost to Lamarque in Brooks last game with the Bulldogs at the Astrodome. When Jasper dropped to 3A, Brooks went to Ozen.

Jason1725
03-26-2007, 02:14 PM
Never mind

setxsports
03-26-2007, 02:36 PM
Smoaky.com and **********.com has learned John Tyler head football coach Thomas Brooks has accepted at Jasper High School.

Brooks met with his assistants this morning and according to one coach said, "this is the toughest decision I've ever had to make, but I have to do what's best for my family."

He informed his players during athletic period on Monday after meeting with John Tyler principal Dr. Mike McFarland.

When contacted before the press conference, Coach Brooks said, "This was the hardest one, I thought it would never be more difficult than when I left Jasper...but today was one of the hardest days of my life. We had some changes here at John Tyler that really affected my change of heart, including Dr. McFarland leaving for Illinois. In the past, principal changes have not gone well for me...I rely on a principal's philosophy as much as anything when looking at a job, and Dr. McFarland and I had very similar views, we aren't win at all cost people...it should always be about the kids. This decision will also allow me to be closer to my mom, and that's a big deal at this time, and I've never been an athletic director either, and that opportunity is also there for me in Jasper."

Tyler ISD athletic department has called a press conference for 3:30pm, where Coach Brooks is expected to discuss his decision.

A source within the Jasper I.S.D. confirmed they hope to take a candidate's name to the school board at a noon meeting on Tuesday.

j_dog
03-26-2007, 03:05 PM
Jasper lost to Lamarque in Brooks last game with the Bulldogs at the Astrodome. When Jasper dropped to 3A, Brooks went to Ozen.
Actually, you are all wrong. It was Bay City that Jasper lost to that day. And Jasper never was in the ball game even with all the talent Jasper had. Just one late in the game TD by "Big Mo" Cook if I remember correctly.

I wish Coach Brooks and Jasper the very best of luck and I am happy for him since it helps him be closer to his mother. Maybe he will stay put this time.

JasperDog94
03-26-2007, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by j_dog
Actually, you are all wrong. It was Bay City that Jasper lost to that day. And Jasper never was in the ball game even with all the talent Jasper had. Just one late in the game TD by "Big Mo" Cook if I remember correctly.

I wish Coach Brooks and Jasper the very best of luck and I am happy for him since it helps him be closer to his mother. Maybe he will stay put this time. That's right. Bay City Blackcats. But it was in the Astrodome. And you are correct. Jasper was never in that game.

pirate4state
03-26-2007, 03:15 PM
Yeah. I've been sooooo excited, but I couldn't say anything. This is great news!!!:cheerl: :cheerl: :cheerl:

heh, heh

Isn't it wonderful & awful all at the same time?

Congrats!! :clap:

Jason1725
03-26-2007, 03:23 PM
I remember that game, I was there shooting for East Texas Lifestyles a short lived paper here in Jasper. It was rainy that day and they made us park forever away. And we got there about 2-3 hours before the game. Then we had to go through the entrance with Bay City who's players and coaches were very Rude. That game and the one there against Bridge City the following year made me hate the Astrodome. Those people who work there are all rude, I never met a nice person there. Horrible day all around, Jasper for sure was never in that game.

duckbutter
03-26-2007, 03:43 PM
Brooks wasn't coaching when Jasper lost to Burnet???:thinking:

JasperDog94
03-26-2007, 04:26 PM
Brooks wasn't coaching when Jasper lost to Burnet???:thinking: No.

JHS_c/o_06'
03-26-2007, 05:42 PM
If this is true, i think they made a big mistake. But i guess thats just my opinion.

setxsports
03-26-2007, 05:53 PM
That's just your opinion then. :D

Matthew328
03-26-2007, 08:46 PM
I wonder if Jasper will play in SQTs now since Brooks John Tyler and Ozen teams were powerhouses at the state tournaments...would love to see some of Jasper's talent

SintonFan
03-26-2007, 09:13 PM
Cool!
I hope Jasper returns to the form they showed back when they were always a contender. I'm glad for you guys.:clap: :)

setxsports
03-26-2007, 09:13 PM
I really think they will.

Chris Hart
03-26-2007, 09:33 PM
Good hire! That's WAY TOO MUCH talent to not not go DEEEEEP every year.....:cool:

Jason1725
03-26-2007, 10:35 PM
What more can you say then that? Last year was like trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.

duckbutter
03-27-2007, 10:09 AM
Sorry, guess i'm getting Brooks and Lauve confused because of the same crappy offense they both ran at Jasper.

AggiesAreWe
03-27-2007, 10:43 AM
I think it is a good hire. He's a solid coach and person. I'm really hoping Jasper gets their football program back up where it was. Even though I am a Silsbee Tiger, it's just not right in the football world with Jasper at the bottom.

Brooks did implement the spread offense in Jasper and it did well. But, you have to have the proper quarterback to run it. He had Mitchell and then Moye came after they left. The Dawgs haven't had a proper qb since then. Let's hope Brooks can develop some.

Also, I do believe their offense will get better with Brooks coming, but that Jasper defense just has to get better. They were pitiful last year and not that great the year before. He has got some work to do on that side of the ball.

setxsports
03-27-2007, 10:53 AM
I agree! Best hire in my opinion. Jasper will now get back to theor ole winning ways!

spiveyrat
03-27-2007, 03:00 PM
I'm cautiously optimistic with this move. As much as he's hopped around in the last 10 years, how do we know he'll be in Jasper for more than 2-3 years??? :thinking:

I think it will be good for the Bulldogs in the short run, but...

setxsports
03-27-2007, 03:26 PM
He's staying this time!

JasperDog94
03-27-2007, 09:10 PM
Sorry, guess i'm getting Brooks and Lauve confused because of the same crappy offense they both ran at Jasper. lol...yeah, terrible offensive scheme that had them in the quarter finals as one of the smallest enrollments in all of 4A, 2 trips to the semi-finals in 3A and 1 trip to the finals in 3A.

I'm really starting to wonder about you duck.

JasperDog94
03-27-2007, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by JHS_c/o_06'
If this is true, i think they made a big mistake. But i guess thats just my opinion. Who would you have rather them hire?

Bulldog92
03-27-2007, 09:28 PM
06 wanted Eric Farrar to get the job. He played for him, so he's got an attachment to Farrar and that's understandable. To say that bringing back Coach Brooks is a mistake is foolhardy, though. The only way he ends up being right is if Coach Brooks doesn't stay, but I just heard Art Lay (while doing the JHS-Kirbyville game) say that in his mind, he's here for good. I hope Art's right.

Hupernikomen
03-27-2007, 09:28 PM
lol...yeah, terrible offensive scheme that had them in the quarter finals as one of the smallest enrollments in all of 4A, 2 trips to the semi-finals in 3A and 1 trip to the finals in 3A.

I'm really starting to wonder about you duck.

Jasper running the spread turned a lot of heads in SE Texas and several teams quickly followed suit (WO-S to name one). The offense was great for a couple years while everyone learned to scheme against it. At the same time Jasper quit throwing the ball around and became way to predictable and just plain stupid last year on offense. Hopefully Brooks can bring back the swagger that they had under his leadership. What he did was get the kids excited. That is exactly what Jasper needs (a bit more speed like in the past wouldn't hurt either).

j_dog
03-27-2007, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by Hupernikomen
.... That is exactly what Jasper needs (a bit more speed like in the past wouldn't hurt either).
Three or so Div I linemen like they did have for two years wouldn't hurt either. :)

duckbutter
03-28-2007, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by Hupernikomen
Jasper running the spread turned a lot of heads in SE Texas and several teams quickly followed suit (WO-S to name one). The offense was great for a couple years while everyone learned to scheme against it. At the same time Jasper quit throwing the ball around and became way to predictable and just plain stupid last year on offense. Hopefully Brooks can bring back the swagger that they had under his leadership. What he did was get the kids excited. That is exactly what Jasper needs (a bit more speed like in the past wouldn't hurt either). Thank you Hupernikomen...Running the spread is fine BUT you have to be able to pull it in tight and get under center sometimes. When Mitchell was qb at Jasper that offense showcased his ability and fit the team, but when he graduated the offense should have changed some because there wasn't a qb of that caliber there anymore. Jasper has always had some GREAT OL and were not utilized properly. I have always stated that Jasper could have done better in another type of offense. Again this is JMO and we all what the saying is about those. Jasper WILL be much improved next year, can't help but get better, and I truely hope that Brooks is the man to turn the program around. Only time will tell.

JasperDog94
03-28-2007, 11:16 AM
Well, we had Moye before he was recruited to Diboll. After that, the QB position was pretty weak.

j_dog
03-28-2007, 11:44 AM
Well, we had Moye before he was recruited to Diboll. ....
and wasn't Diboll one and out even with our QB? :D

what goes around comes around.

JasperDog94
03-28-2007, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by j_dog
and wasn't Diboll one and out even with our QB? :D

what goes around comes around. There was some poetic justice there.;)

JHS_c/o_06'
03-28-2007, 12:14 PM
There was some poetic justice there.;)

I don't think thats a good thing to say, yeah it might be kind of funny to laugh at the diboll coaches, but what about Gilbert, that situation really put him in a bind. And it was a really bad deal for him. I'm just glad he got picked up by a D-1 school and is up at 'the zoo' with Spoon.

JasperDog94
03-28-2007, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by JHS_c/o_06'
I don't think thats a good thing to say, yeah it might be kind of funny to laugh at the diboll coaches, but what about Gilbert, that situation really put him in a bind. And it was a really bad deal for him. I'm just glad he got picked up by a D-1 school and is up at 'the zoo' with Spoon. Gilbert made a choice. I tried to think the best of the situation, but in the end he screwed himself. He could have played in Lufkin or Jasper. Instead he chose to sit out a year and play in Diboll.

After Jasper's terrible start this past year, he was seen around Jasper telling people that he was coming back. Of course that never happened. Why would he say that? Was it just to pour salt in the wound because of Jasper's season? That's the only thing I can figure.

Then he gets arrested for breaking into the school.

I hope for his sake that he can get his head screwed on straight. If not, he'll be another amazingly gifted athlete that "just didn't get it".

JHS_c/o_06'
03-28-2007, 12:37 PM
Gilbert made a choice. I tried to think the best of the situation, but in the end he screwed himself. He could have played in Lufkin or Jasper. Instead he chose to sit out a year and play in Diboll.

After Jasper's terrible start this past year, he was seen around Jasper telling people that he was coming back. Of course that never happened. Why would he say that? Was it just to pour salt in the wound because of Jasper's season? That's the only thing I can figure.

Then he gets arrested for breaking into the school.

I hope for his sake that he can get his head screwed on straight. If not, he'll be another amazingly gifted athlete that "just didn't get it".

i dont know about the breaking into the school bit......i didnt hear that.

But as for a choice......you say he made a choice.....did you talk to him.....did you know him....did you play football with him. Cause i did........he told me face to face wanted to come back so bad. He even tried to come back last year, don't know what happened with that though. There was about 3 more paragraphs of stuff i was going to type....but for some reason i dont see the point anymore.

JasperDog94
03-28-2007, 01:06 PM
The bottom line is this:

He was recruited to play for Diboll. He was offered housing in Jasper. Maybe it wasn't ideal, but there was nothing ideal about what happened after the hurricane. Other players and families made tough choices after the hurricane. He made a choice to stay in Diboll and it cost him.

Like I said, I wish him the best. I hope he can get his life straightened out and learn that just because an adult says something is true, that doesn't always make it so.

Bulldog_12
03-28-2007, 01:08 PM
There was a lot of stuff that went on behind the scenes in that whole ordeal. Whether anyone likes it or not, Gilbert had a choice in the matter and took Diboll. Granted a lot of adults were in his ear, but ultimately the decision fell upon him. He still is going to a great college through all of this though.

JasperDog94
03-28-2007, 01:59 PM
There was a lot of stuff that went on behind the scenes in that whole ordeal. Whether anyone likes it or not, Gilbert had a choice in the matter and took Diboll. Granted a lot of adults were in his ear, but ultimately the decision fell upon him. He still is going to a great college through all of this though. Agreed.

JasperDog94
03-28-2007, 02:21 PM
Brooks returns 'home'
Former coach changes mind, accepts post
By JIMMY GALVAN Managing Editor

Thomas Brooks, who coached the Jasper Bulldogs in 2000 and 2001 to two Class 4A playoff appearances, has accepted the challenge of leading the athletic program.

"It feels real good to be home," Brooks said after Tuesday's announcement. "I feel very comfortable here in Jasper. I just have a spot in my heart for Jasper.

"I feel more relaxed and I'm just ready to go to work now that I'm back in Jasper," Brooks said. "The thing that brought me back here was the people. This town is so special. I just feel real good to be back around the people I feel comfortable with."

Interim Athletic Director Chris Coleman was ecstatic after the Jasper Independent Board of Trustees approved Brooks appointment to the position.

"It is great news," Coleman said. "I am excited as a parent because I have a son that will be in the high school program but I am really excited for our community.

"Thomas is a tremendous football coach but he's a better man than he is a football coach," Coleman said. "He has great character and great discipline in the program and he is immediately respected in the community by all sectors. We want our kids to have someone to look up to and we think Thomas Brooks is that kind of guy."

This decision marks a reversal from Brooks' decision a couple of weeks ago when he took his name out of the running for the position. Coleman said the pair had discussed the position in conversation but no formal offer was ever made to the then-John Tyler head football coach.

"It was just in the talking stage the first time we talked about it," Coleman said. "Thomas always said he loved Jasper and loved being in Jasper and it just started the ball rolling. We looked at it and toyed with it but at the time, it just didn't feel like the time was right for him to come back."

Brooks, 46, contacted Coleman Friday, March 23 and informed him he was interested in coming back to the position.

"He will bring instant creditability to this program," Coleman said. "But when you are looking for a head football coach, to us, it's not just about winning football games.

"He is a living example for our kids and the students deserve the opportunity to have someone they can look up to," Coleman said.

Brooks served as head coach for the Bulldog football program in 2000 and 2001 after serving as head coach at Waxahachie. In both seasons in Jasper, Brooks led the Bulldogs into the Class 4A playoffs with an overall record of 15-10.

"He really started us back on building a strong program," said Coleman, who hired Brooks for his first stint with the Bulldogs. "There were some things we had to adjust program-wise that first year. The entire program had to be adjusted."

Brooks has directed the rebuilding John Tyler football program into the Class 5A playoffs the past two seasons and now will face a similar task in Jasper.

"He's a great fit for Jasper," Coleman said. "He presents a tremendous image for us outside of Jasper as well as in town. He will do what is right, at all times, for the kids."

Coleman said the plan is for Brooks to begin his Jasper duties Thursday, March 29.

Coleman believes the athletes of Jasper will accept and welcome Brooks as their new head football coach.

"I know the kids will be excited because they know they are getting a good man," Coleman said. "They know they will have to act right, work hard and represent Jasper, Texas and Jasper High School well because Coach Brooks won't stand for anything less than that."

JasperDog94
03-28-2007, 02:21 PM
I loved that last paragraph. It all starts with character and discipline.

Bulldog_12
03-28-2007, 02:26 PM
I loved that last paragraph. It all starts with character and discipline.

Sounds like a VERY smart man came up with that paragraph. :D

JasperDog94
03-28-2007, 03:02 PM
Sounds like a VERY smart man came up with that paragraph. :D Nah...he probably just had a speech writer or the editor helped him out.:doh: :devil: :devil: