PDA

View Full Version : Wonder what the real story is?

44INAROW
03-25-2007, 10:35 PM
no matter if they fell, jumped or were pushed - I can't imagine treading water in the Gulf of Mexico for 4 hours in the middle of the night (or anytime for that matter) will be interesting to see how this story unfolds........

Two Rescued After Falling Off Cruise Ship
AP
GALVESTON, Texas (March 25) - A man and woman fell overboard from a cruise ship in the Gulf of Mexico early Sunday, but both were rescued after a four-hour search and appeared to be in good condition, a cruise line spokeswoman said.

The captain of the Princess Cruise ship turned the vessel around after friends of the man and woman who fell overboard notified the crew. A similar ship is seen above.

The 22-year-old man and 20-year-old woman fell 50 to 60 feet from a cabin balcony, said Julie Benson, spokeswoman for Princess Cruises.

She said the cruise line did not know how they fell overboard, although it appears to have been an accident. Their ship, Princess Cruise's Grand Princess, was about 150 miles off the coast of Galveston, Texas, at the time.

The captain turned the ship around after friends of the man and woman notified the crew at about 1:30 a.m. CDT that they had gone overboard, Benson said. The ship's crew used high-powered spotlights and rescue boats in the search. One passenger was rescued by the ship's boats at 5:30 a.m. and the other at 6 a.m., according to a statement by the cruise line.

The search was aided by the Coast Guard, said Lt. j.g. Jillian Lamb at the District 8 Command Center. A nearby cruise ship also offered assistance, she said.

The man and woman, whom the cruise line declined to name, were examined by the ship's medical staff. They sustained minor injuries, Benson said.

"They appear to be in satisfactory condition and we hope that no further medical attention will be needed," Benson said.

They will have the option of continuing on the trip or returning home when the ship reaches port. The ship was on its way to Costa Maya on Mexico's coastline, Benson said.

Grand Princess was carrying 2,783 passengers on a seven-day tour of the western Caribbean.

injuredinmelee
03-25-2007, 11:56 PM
i wonder if alcohol was involved in any form or fashion??

mustang59
03-26-2007, 07:42 AM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
I'm thinking. I've been on a cruise ship, and let's just say you'd have to try pretty hard to "fall off". It's not exactly like trying to manuver in a row boat.

big daddy russ
03-26-2007, 10:57 AM
I'm thinking alcohol mixed with other shenanigans. Let's review the situation.

A 22-year-old man.
A 20-year-old woman.
More than likely alone. Let's call this one an educated guess. Sure their friends were "around," but that doesn't mean that they actually witnessed the pair go overboard.
Mix in some alcohol (I'd say there's better than a 50% chance of alcohol being involved).
I'm assuming they went overboard at 1 or 2 a.m., meaning they had probably been drinking long into the night.
And a guard railing that's probably four feet tall.

I don't know about you, but alcohol always makes me feel a little more adventurous. Feel free to come to your own conclusion here.

Maroon87
03-26-2007, 10:59 AM

Or the line, "I'm the King of the World!":p

smustangs
03-26-2007, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
I'm thinking alcohol mixed with another shenanigans. Let's review the situation.

A 22-year-old man.
A 20-year-old woman.
More than likely alone. Let's call this one an educated guess. Sure their friends were "around," but that doesn't mean that they actually witnessed the pair go overboard.
Mix in some alcohol (I'd say there's better than a 50% chance of alcohol being involved).
I'm assuming they went overboard at 1 or 2 a.m., meaning they had probably been drinking long into the night.
And a guard railing that's probably four feet tall.

I don't know about you, but alcohol always makes me feel a little more adventurous. Feel free to come to your own conclusion here.

couldnt have said it better myself

Bullaholic
03-26-2007, 11:13 AM
Perhaps they were engaged in activity which would cause them to be less than cautious. :D

44INAROW
03-26-2007, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Perhaps they were engaged in activity which would cause them to be less than cautious. :D

like playing "King of the World" on the railing:D

big daddy russ
03-26-2007, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
like playing "King of the World" on the railing:D
He was playing King of something.

smustangs
03-26-2007, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
He was playing King of something.

haha kind of titanic sounding to me

bobcat1
03-26-2007, 06:57 PM
Talk about riding the wave! ;) :D

Emerson1
03-26-2007, 07:03 PM
It doesn't take very much to fall over. A tall drunk guy can easily go over the short little rails they have.

Chris Hart
03-26-2007, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by bobcat1
Talk about riding the wave! ;) :D LOL, bobcat1! You've done it again, lol...:clap: