PDA

View Full Version : UT softball team splits with No. 3 Ranked Oklahoma

Phil C
03-25-2007, 09:21 PM
UT lost Saturday 7 to 0 but fought back and won in ten innings today (Sunday) 5 to 4. The tie was broke with international rules where a player is put on second base. Good comeback by the Lady Horns after a bad first game against the no. 3 ranked team.

http://cache.texassports.com//image_lib/thomas_shannon_032507_400.jpg

BTEXDAD
03-26-2007, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
UT lost Saturday 7 to 0 but fought back and won in ten innings today (Sunday) 5 to 4. The tie was broke with international rules where a player is put on second base. Good comeback by the Lady Horns after a bad first game against the no. 3 ranked team.

http://cache.texassports.com//image_lib/thomas_shannon_032507_400.jpg

To save me the time of looking it up, Phil, who's pitching for lady horns this season? Is Denny still around?

Phil C
03-26-2007, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by BTEXDAD
To save me the time of looking it up, Phil, who's pitching for lady horns this season? Is Denny still around?

Yes BT. She is their main pitcher and she is a junior. So far she is having a great year.

Adidas410s
03-26-2007, 09:40 AM
What does that mean that a player is put on 2nd base to break ties?? Is that saying that each inning that they start with a runner on 2nd and no outs?

BuffyMars
03-26-2007, 09:48 AM
We don't ever get to watch them. :(

We get lucky to watch one game a season on TV in East Texas. No station shows them around here, or anywhere that we have lived in East Tx for that matter. :mad::crying:

I love UT softball!!!!!!!!!!

BTEXDAD
03-26-2007, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
What does that mean that a player is put on 2nd base to break ties?? Is that saying that each inning that they start with a runner on 2nd and no outs?

yes. I think they go one extra inning with normal rules and then a runner is put at second (international tie breaker/ITB) beginning with 9th inning. Some of the really good pitchers can throw forever and baserunners are rare commodity, so this speeds up game and puts more emphasis on overall play of team.
This rule is not used in playoffs btw.

In some tournaments, even in high school, after a couple innings with the ITB, the progressive tie breaker is used. This puts two runners on, one on third and one on second with no outs.

18handicap
03-26-2007, 12:41 PM
According to one of my players (and the UT website) whose sister hit a 3 run homer in the game, they start ITB in the 10th inning. We used to do that in district play, but changed it when everyone decided to follow the UIL playoff rules concerning extra innings.

g$$
03-26-2007, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s

ITB is very common in many leagues. We use that in slow pitch softball tourneys to speed the game along & determine a winner after regulation game ends. Evidently the Big 12 does too now in softball.

And yes, it carries over to the next inning if needed to determine a winner. Last person to make an out goes to 2nd base, no outs, next batter in order up to plate. Both teams do it until someone wins.