PDA

View Full Version : Can 3A teams stand toe to toe with ranked 4&5A teams

davidalex
10-21-2001, 06:45 PM
I just want to know if some 3A teams can play with in the same level with ranked 4&5A teams like a 7-0 CC Calallen or 6-1 Austin Westlake. I think that may only Sinton might maybe beat Calallen if they play a flawless game, but not Westlake. I picked region IV team cuz those are the ones that I am familiar with. But feel free talk about some other regions.

eye of the tiger
10-21-2001, 07:26 PM
I think Everman and Forney could play very competive 4a ball with the teams they have this year. With smaller enrollments they may not be able to year after year, but I sure do think they could this year.

coonrage07
10-21-2001, 09:56 PM
I think teams like Forney and Wylie can stand with some of the 4A teams I mean after all Wylie did beat all the 4A powerhouses they played this year.

Jacket2000
10-21-2001, 10:52 PM
What "powerhouses" are you refering to? Surely, you're not calling SA Lakeview(2-4), Big Spring(1-5), or Snyder(3-3) powerhouses.

bigdawg
10-22-2001, 12:26 AM
Yea he was referring to them, but he meant perennial powerhouses. They are very good teams, they just don't have their priorities in line. They did have a lot of potential this year though. I think if Wylie could get their act together and play some real football, they could hang with almost any 4a team. That's just my opinion though.

Matthew328
10-22-2001, 01:35 AM
Well besides Everman and Newton no other 3A that I can think of has played a Top 10 or near Top 10 team...Everman beat Waxahachie and Newton nearly beat Jasper..but to be honest I only see at most 5 teams in 3A that can even stay on the field with the best 4A's...and that is being brutally honest..and I don't think there are any 3A's that can beat Ennis, Denton Ryan and some of the other really top notch 4A's

Old Cardinal
10-22-2001, 06:06 PM
This is an interesting question-Newton beat Ozen by one point because Ozen went for two not settling for a tie and overtime-they lost to the other two 4A teams that they played. On the other hand, Bridge City had no problem beating a good 4A team in Silsbee and Silsbee easily beat Ozen Friday night.... Sinton, Everman, Wylie, Zapata and Bridge City have consistently beat or played good games with 4A teams for two preseasons now. Or there any teams that I am missing that consistently beat 4A's?

coonrage07
10-22-2001, 09:16 PM
YEAH!What bigdawg said

SintonFan
10-23-2001, 02:17 AM
Sinton beat a poor CC Tuloso-Midway team 28-6. Tuloso usually does have good size for 4-A, though. Now Beeville was the game that made me stand up and take notice. Sinton beat them 21-10, and it could have been worse. Beeville is now 6-1(should be in top 50) and in front of dist. 30-4A with Gregory-Portland. Top 10 3-A teams shouldn't beat top 10 4-A teams. But top 5 3-A teams should hang and sometimes upset top 20 4-A teams.

fury900
10-23-2001, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by Old Cardinal:
This is an interesting question-Newton beat Ozen by one point because Ozen went for two not settling for a tie and overtime-they lost to the other two 4A teams that they played. On the other hand, Bridge City had no problem beating a good 4A team in Silsbee and Silsbee easily beat Ozen Friday night.... Sinton, Everman, Wylie, Zapata and Bridge City have consistently beat or played good games with 4A teams for two preseasons now. Or there any teams that I am missing that consistently beat 4A's?

Vernon Lions played A 5A Oklahoma in Altus Oklahoma Ranked #4 in Oklahoma Altus 21 Vernon 14 played 2 4A texas teams in Burkburnett 13 Vernon 34 & Hirschi 13 Vernon 48 this year

Jacket2000
10-23-2001, 09:33 AM
La Grange has given Bay City some very close game the past two years.

Husker98
10-23-2001, 10:18 AM
Old Cardinal,
You said Bridge City easily beat Silsbee, who easily beat Ozen. Well, watch how easily Newton beats Bridge City. Bridge City wasn't very consistent when they were in 4A, so what makes you think they are consistent now?

[This message has been edited by Husker98 (edited October 23, 2001).]

Old Cardinal
10-23-2001, 03:04 PM
To Huster98-Its been several years since Bridge City was losing to the local 4A teams in District-the same teams you usually lose to now. Newton has a chance to beat BC but I don't think it will be- easy. Its all academic anyway, both teams should prevail well in the postseason matchups. Barbers Hill will probably be the easy team for you in post season scheduling- they could hardly get by Hamshire-Fannett, the weakest team on the Gulf Coast! Doesn't it get to you a little however; that Silsbee beat Ozen 32-19 and Bridge City can beat Silsbee any day of the week. "Easy" for Newton to beat Bridge City might be a bad choice of words.

Tiger Turtle
10-24-2001, 05:29 PM
Having seen every game played by Sealy's four straight state championship teams, along with several 4A and 5A playoff and/or state championship games, I think the '95 and '96 3A champs could have played with all but the top echelon of 4A teams. Top 4A and 5A teams have too much depth (and size) for even the best 3A teams to have a realistic chance of winning. We have scrimmaged some low-end 5A's and done well, but the Stephenville/LaMarque type teams would be too much.

Gobbla2001
10-25-2001, 08:36 AM
Oh, TT, you know ya'll could have won it ALL in 4A in '97, the top 8 teams in 3A that year could have been a top 8 team in 4A... I mean Calallen went to the Semi's and came up SHORT to LM, like 17-14 or something? YEt it took Calallen almost a full four quarters to score on us that year, the final score was 7-0.... Yet ya'll beat us 31 to 0??? Come on TT, be honest, let your REAL thoughts flow in this one...

But to answer the real question, YES, 3A can hang with awesome 4A teams and some great 5A's... I mean by gawd, depth or not, our J.V.last year had about 38 or so players on it, Victoria Memorials J.V. had around 60 or so.... Cuero J.V. 49, Victoria Memorial J.V 6.... In '99, number 2 Cuero vs. Number 16 in 4A Calallen.... Cuero 13, Calallen 10.....

footballer2
10-25-2001, 09:53 AM
Can 3a teams stand toe to toe w/ranked 4A-5a teams? most 3a teams cannot stand toe to toe with RANKED 4A &5A teams. The key word here is RANKED. There are years when there are exceptionally strong 3-a's that can hang with the big boys, but they usually cannot do it on a continual basis(not due to lack of desire, but due to lack of depth).Every year you see 3-a's beat 4-a's,even 5-a's ,but most of them are not ranked big schools. Gobbla 2001 could this years Cuero team beat Calallen? Why Not?-Don't get me wrong, I respect the Cuero Gobblers as much as any team. But, the answer is no-they could not beat Calallen this year due to lack of overall depth & talent-this is what keeps 3-a's from beating ranked 4a-5a schools on a consistent basis.

Husker98
10-25-2001, 01:36 PM
I'll agree with TigerTurtle and Footballer2 on this one. Ranked 4A and 5A teams have too much size and depth for teams in the 3A ranks.

TRY ME - I'LL MAKE YOU FAMOUS

Gobbla2001
10-26-2001, 08:31 AM
Ranked 5A? Maybe not... Ranked 4A? Still YES... It says stand toe to toe... Depth might get you in the end (4th quarter late 3rd) but yes, they can stand toe to toe... But NO, we couldn't this year...

bhjojo74
10-26-2001, 08:43 AM
Barbers Hill plays 4A teams before district and they beat Dickinson at Dickinson pretty handly. Then Dickinson almost beat Texas City the next week. Any team can be defeated with will and heart. Barbers Hill also played Willis and Livingston that are 4A's