u left out a huge canidate in billy donovan at florida

piratebg
03-24-2007, 02:09 PM
I say it's gonna be that dude. :p

Maroon87
03-24-2007, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by coach
u left out a huge canidate in billy donovan at florida

You think he'd leave to take the UK job? Maybe so but that would surprise me if he did.:thinking:

big daddy russ
03-24-2007, 02:32 PM
I think it's either Lon Kruger or John Calipari. Florida and A&M are big money schools, so it's doubtful that those alums let either Donovan or Gillispie go without a huge fight. Money and loyalty will go a long ways.

I'd say Calipari would be the marquee name that they have a good chance of getting, but that Kruger's a fun darkhorse. He's tasted some success at Florida and Illinois before resurrecting the program that Jerry Tarkanian built. It seems like he's taking that next step in the evolution of a coach right now and UK would be crazy not to court him.

Just noticed this, but UMass is well-represented in coaching circles. UK's one of the top five jobs in the nation, and two of these guys have coached the Minutemen.

kepdawg
03-24-2007, 02:51 PM
If Donovan wants it the job is his.

tigerpride_08
03-24-2007, 03:07 PM
i bet the Lon K....just because his son is leaving after this year i think...

kepdawg
03-24-2007, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by tigerpride_08
i bet the Lon K....just because his son is leaving after this year i think...

His son was only at UNLV one year, so I don't think that is a factor for him.

tigerpride_08
03-24-2007, 03:12 PM
yea but ya know just being with him that one year was maybe all he wanted...i think the next head coach has some work to do though to get Kentucky back in form like they use to be...

kepdawg
03-24-2007, 03:14 PM
I don't think they're that far off. They'll get a big time coach and will be back in the top 10 in no time.

crzyjournalist03
03-24-2007, 03:26 PM
I've heard that some very reliable sources are saying it's going to be Rick Barnes.

kepdawg
03-24-2007, 03:30 PM
Barnes wouldn't surprise me, but then again neither would about a dozen other coaches.

tigerpride_08
03-24-2007, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
Barnes wouldn't surprise me, but then again neither would about a dozen other coaches.

its not a bad job, just need to whip the program in shape alittle...:D

DUKE22
03-24-2007, 04:53 PM
I think with a few exceptions this is a step up for every coach in the country. That being said alot of big time guys should be interested. Rick Barnes, Billy Donavan, Tom Izzo just to name a few. Alot of pressure though, and how many of you think Pitino might consider coming back.

GreenMonster
03-24-2007, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by DUKE22
I think with a few exceptions this is a step up for every coach in the country. That being said alot of big time guys should be interested. Rick Barnes, Billy Donavan, Tom Izzo just to name a few. Alot of pressure though, and how many of you think Pitino might consider coming back.

That might very well be what Kentucky is hoping for. You know they will be courting him hard core. It would make sense too. It was a good union for both parties the first time around.

DUKE22
03-24-2007, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
That might very well be what Kentucky is hoping for. You know they will be courting him hard core. It would make sense too. It was a good union for both parties the first time around. Yeah it would make since. I also think that if Billy G. does go after it and gets that would be a nightmare for A&M hoops. He is really good and is still in the process of building at College Station. If he leaves I dont think the A&M job would attract big time coaches like Texas, Florida, Louisville or Michigan State. I bet A&M fans are holding there breath on this one.

maestro
03-24-2007, 06:30 PM
barnes......but i agree...job is donavon's if he wants it....

everyone is naming top tier coaches....

may be a mid-major coach out there that can get it...

recruiting at kentucky takes care of itself.....just open the doors....

Panther One
03-24-2007, 08:46 PM
I don't expect Gillispie to leave A&M. I'm sure he'll take the phone call and hear their offer, but being from Texas and having coached in high school and junior college in Texas, I think he's happy at A&M. Coaching at a historic program like that is the chance of a lifetime. But so is turning a perineal loser into a dominant program. If he left for Kentucky, he'd just be the next good coach to have come through and will eventually be fired or forced to resign. He can create an everlasting legacy at A&M.

The Aggies Athletic Department has shown a strong commitment to basketball with the improvements to Reed Arena this year, the state-of-the-art practice and lockerroom facility set to open next year, and the salaries and bonuses they give the coaches. The Board of Regents is already working on a new contract for BCG. As long as the school is committed to winning, I think Gillispie stays. A&M will match any school in dollars and as long as they match them in commitment as well, BCG is an Aggie.

Bulldog_12
03-24-2007, 11:21 PM
I can agree with Barnes. I have heard his name come up in several circles. I have heard his name and Donovan more than any of the others.

Maroon87
03-25-2007, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by maestro

may be a mid-major coach out there that can get it...

recruiting at kentucky takes care of itself.....just open the doors....

Very true. I was also thinking of John Pelphrey. He was on the '92 Kentucky team that lost to Duke in the "greatest game ever played" along with Travis Ford. He's a head coach somewhere on the D-1 or D-2 level. He may be a dark horse.

Snydertigersrul
03-25-2007, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by Maroon87
Very true. I was also thinking of John Pelphrey. He was on the '92 Kentucky team that lost to Duke in the "greatest game ever played" along with Travis Ford. He's a head coach somewhere on the D-1 or D-2 level. He may be a dark horse.

Pelphrey is coaching at South Alabama

Macarthur
03-25-2007, 10:43 AM
Here's what it boils down to:

Does he want to coach at one of the premiere basketball programs in america?

He will not leave because of money, facilities or any of that junk, in fact, I'm to understand the new facilites at A&M will surpass anything Kentucky has (except the banners on the rafters ;)). The Aggies will never let themselves be outbid.

It just going to boil down to the above question. Is he happy being at A&M where he could be a legend and never have the intense pressure yet always be somewhat second fiddle to football? Or does he want to be somewhere that basketball is king and with that comes imense pressure?

Only he can answer that.

I will say this, I think there are only a handful of positions the Aggies should worry about. Kentucky, Duke, UCLA, Kansas & North Carolina are really the only programs that it would be a "significant" step up. And let's not forget the landscape of college basketball has changed since all these schools have been powerhouses. With the top kids only spending one or two years at a school, building a program has become very different than it was 10 or more years ago.