PDA

View Full Version : Dallas Police Officer Killed in Shootout

kepdawg
03-23-2007, 10:05 PM
Dallas officer dies after shootout

08:57 PM CDT on Friday, March 23, 2007

From Staff Reports

A 33-year-old Dallas police officer died Friday evening after he was involved in a shootout in a West Dallas neighborhood with man driving a car that matched the description of one seen fleeing the robbery and murder of a 21-year-old man at a Southeast Oak Cliff dope house two days earlier.

Senior Cpl. Mark T. Nix, who joined the department six years ago, reportedly died at Parkland Memorial Hospital after he was shot in the neck and chest. The suspect also was shot and being treated at Parkland.

"I ask that this city pray for us," said First Assistant Chief David Brown, who said he's spoken with Cpl. Nix's family, including his fiancée.

"Officer Nix will be sorely missed," Chief Brown said. "He died giving his life for the … safety of the city and its citizens."

On Friday, as officers followed the car south on Mockingbird Lane, the gunmen sped away and lost control in the 4100 block of Bernal Drive. The car ended up nose to nose with a squad car.

"At that point, there was an exchange of gunfire," a visibly shaken Sgt. Gil Cerda said. "One of our officers was struck."

"Due the time of the event, there was a lot of traffic," he said. "So the ambulance was not able to get there on time. One of the officers actually transported our officer to the hospital."

"The officer — he passed away."

The sergeant did not identify the officer involved or the suspects, who he said may have been involved in a shooting on Southerland.

The department was providing counseling for the nearly three dozen officers gathered at the hospital. At one point shortly after nightfall near Parkland's emergency entrance, three female officers came out and began talking. As one listened, she covered her mouth and shook her head back and forth.

"It's just a very hard time for us," said Sgt. Cerda, a Dallas police spokesman. "We lost a fellow officer and fellow employee. It hurts. It just hurts."

Most of the officers involved in this work wear body armor, he said.

"I couldn't say if this officer was wearing body armor or not."

At the slaying on Southerland on Wednesday, investigators said there was a large amount of marijuana scattered in the street in front of the home. Another man who was inside the home was dove through a window to escape the killer.

Investigators believe the killer or killers fled in a late 1990s two-tone red and gray Chevrolet Caprice. The department's newly-established Fusion Center, designed to get crime intelligence out into the field quickly, issued an alert the day of the murder, and again Thursday.

The bulletin noted that the vehicle had been spotted at several nightclubs including Club One, Club Nairobi and Rhythm City.

On Friday evening, officers in marked cars and at least one undercover vehicle, began following what appeared to be a two-tone red and gray Chevrolet Caprice. At some point, gunfire was exchanged, sources said.

Shortly after the shooting, which left the Caprice full of bullets parked in a yard on Bernal, at least two dozen Dallas squad cars converged on the scene. Officers appeared to be clearing homes in the West Dallas residential neighborhood.

smustangs
03-23-2007, 10:10 PM
my prayers go out ot his family

Gsquared
03-23-2007, 10:13 PM
My cousin who is a Dallas Policeman was involved in this incident

LH Panther Mom
03-23-2007, 10:24 PM
:( Sorry to hear that....my prayers are going out for his family & other loved ones.

JR2004
03-24-2007, 12:14 AM
Looks like this happened over in Pinkston's part of West Dallas. As much of a rep as South Dallas has for violence, it has nothing on those West Dallas projects. That's a brutal area to try and raise kids in. I heard about this during a call I received on my drive home this evening. Really bad to hear some wanna be thugs shot a police officer in cold blood like that. I hope they get what they deserve.

It seems there's been an escalation in violence recently. My good friend, who is the head bball coach at Samuell, just had his car stolen right out of the parking lot during school this week. He said they took all the seats, his tires, and ripped out his dashboard before abondoning his suburban. Apparently he said you see stuff like this go through the roof every 5 years or so. Really bad stuff in my opinion.

JR2004
03-24-2007, 12:17 AM

piratebg
03-24-2007, 11:23 AM
Always hate to hear about these. Very sad indeed. :(

pirate4state
03-24-2007, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by piratebg
Always hate to hear about these. Very sad indeed. :( +1