PDA

View Full Version : Vanderbilt Gets Screwed

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
03-23-2007, 08:43 PM
On the game winning shot, the player from Georgetown switched pivot feet and it wasn't called, then a Vanderbilt player shoots from just past half court and is fouled so hard the ball fell at least five feet short and nothing was called. I didn't watch much of the game, but that's just not fair to lose like that, especially at this part of the season. :mad:

LH Panther Mom
03-23-2007, 08:44 PM
Yeah, the last 5 seconds is always what decides a game. :rolleyes:

smustangs
03-23-2007, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Yeah, the last 5 seconds is always what decides a game. :rolleyes:

haha but in this one the last 5 seconds really hurt vandy i cant argue w/ bbde here

LH Panther Mom
03-23-2007, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by smustangs
haha but in this one the last 5 seconds really hurt vandy i cant argue w/ bbde here Well, yeah, it hurt them. And I thought there should've been a foul. BUT.......basketball isn't a 5 second game. ;)

smustangs
03-23-2007, 08:48 PM
Well, yeah, it hurt them. And I thought there should've been a foul. BUT.......basketball isn't a 5 second game. ;)

no but when it comes down to 5 seconds and 2 calls like that arnt called it makes it a 5 second game because those 5 seconds made this game

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
03-23-2007, 08:52 PM
Yeah, the last 5 seconds is always what decides a game.

Not to be mean, but that has to be one of the most ignorant statements that I've ever heard you say. If the game would have been called correctly, then Vanderbilt would have won or had a chance to tie, the ball would have been turned over to them and they would have had the lead. If not that, then the guy had a chance to shoot three times for the win/tie. Those five seconds where the game was called incorrectly were the most important five seconds of the game and they did decide the outcome, not the players. Rules are rules as long as there is time on the clock, no exceptions should be made.

LH Panther Mom
03-23-2007, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
Not to be mean, but that has to be one of the most ignorant statements that I've ever heard you say. If the game would have been called correctly, then Vanderbilt would have won or had a chance to tie, the ball would have been turned over to them and they would have had the lead. If not that, then the guy had a chance to shoot three times for the win/tie. Those five seconds where the game was called incorrectly were the most important five seconds of the game and they did decide the outcome, not the players. Rules are rules as long as there is time on the clock, no exceptions should be made. So, it's an ignorant statement! Like you said....you didn't watch much of the game. I caught the last few minutes, so I don't know what the game was like before I started watching. I didn't see the "pivot foot switch", but I do agree the foul should've been called. Since neither one of us saw much of the game, neither of us knows whether or not Vanderbilt had chances to have it not come to that. Just looking at the recap, seems they had some guys who missed quite a few shots. (So did Georgetown.) 20 rebounds to 35 might have made a difference. So shoot me because I don't agree they got screwed.

smustangs
03-23-2007, 09:04 PM
So, it's an ignorant statement! Like you said....you didn't watch much of the game. I caught the last few minutes, so I don't know what the game was like before I started watching. I didn't see the "pivot foot switch", but I do agree the foul should've been called. Since neither one of us saw much of the game, neither of us knows whether or not Vanderbilt had chances to have it not come to that. Just looking at the recap, seems they had some guys who missed quite a few shots. (So did Georgetown.) 20 rebounds to 35 might have made a difference. So shoot me because I don't agree they got screwed.

Yes there were chances for each team, but this particular game did come down to 5 seconds makeing the difference in the game and therefore it is does matter because it just cost vandy a win and any time a rule or a non call such as this costs you a game then the last 5 seconds did make the game.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
03-23-2007, 09:07 PM
Yes there were chances for each team, but this particular game did come down to 5 seconds makeing the difference in the game and therefore it is does matter because it just cost vandy a win and any time a rule or a non call such as this costs you a game then the last 5 seconds did make the game.

Took the words out of my mouth.

Keith7
03-23-2007, 09:11 PM
ya they got screwed that stuff happens.. if u wanna see a team who really got screwed go here

Click here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPcZN6adx7U)

smustangs
03-23-2007, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
ya they got screwed that stuff happens.. if u wanna see a team who really got screwed go here

Click here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPcZN6adx7U)

WOW i would have been irrate

LH Panther Mom
03-23-2007, 09:15 PM
Yes there were chances for each team, but this particular game did come down to 5 seconds makeing the difference in the game and therefore it is does matter because it just cost vandy a win and any time a rule or a non call such as this costs you a game then the last 5 seconds did make the game. Didn't I hear the same thing yesterday about 1.1 seconds? And no, I did NOT watch the game - I was at a meeting.

I might not be a basketball guru, but I can tell there were definitely some things that didn't get taken care of before the last 5 seconds. And for the 3rd time....yes, there probably should've been a foul. Maybe the NCAA needs to look into hiring robots for refs instead of humans.

smustangs
03-23-2007, 09:17 PM
Didn't I hear the same thing yesterday about 1.1 seconds? And no, I did NOT watch the game - I was at a meeting.

I might not be a basketball guru, but I can tell there were definitely some things that didn't get taken care of before the last 5 seconds. And for the 3rd time....yes, there probably should've been a foul. Maybe the NCAA needs to look into hiring robots for refs instead of humans.

i am not disputing vandy could have done something before but they didnt and the last 5 seconds did make this game, they were in a position to win it and a couple of calls cost that is all were sayin

JasperDog94
03-23-2007, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by Keith7

Click here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPcZN6adx7U) Leave it to Mr. Texas hater to find that one.;)

Panther One
03-23-2007, 10:33 PM
I think the fact that is being over looked is that Vandy DID enough to win the game. They had the lead, was playing very good defense, and the G-town player had to travel to get the shot off. The refs blew it.

When two good teams play, it often comes down to the final seconds. Yeah, you can look back at and say that team A could have done this or team B could have done this, but the fact is, these are really good teams playing right now and even the best teams don't capitalize on every opportunity.

The refs have decided a lot of games with their calls, non-calls, and decision-making this tournament. You see it so much when refs won't make a call at the end of a game, just like tonight...or just like not calling the intentional foul against OSU against Xavier. Then last night, you had the opposite with a ref putting Memphis at the line to win the game for a foul not near as bad as what they had let go during the game. And to compound it, that 1.1 seconds taken off was brutal. They were closer to getting it right with no time running off the clock.

That's why I hate basketball. The refs have too much control. I remember in a tournament game I was watching a year or two ago, a team had the ball with under 30 seconds to play with a chance to tie it up and the ref calls carrying. Carrying? That happens all the time but is only called like once every other game and this ref just sealed the team's fate by calling it with 30 seconds left.

I realize humans make mistakes, but what bothers me in basketball is the inconsistency with the calls and picking and choosing when to call what.

smustangs
03-23-2007, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by Panther One
I think the fact that is being over looked is that Vandy DID enough to win the game. They had the lead, was playing very good defense, and the G-town player had to travel to get the shot off. The refs blew it.

When two good teams play, it often comes down to the final seconds. Yeah, you can look back at and say that team A could have done this or team B could have done this, but the fact is, these are really good teams playing right now and even the best teams don't capitalize on every opportunity.

The refs have decided a lot of games with their calls, non-calls, and decision-making this tournament. You see it so much when refs won't make a call at the end of a game, just like tonight...or just like not calling the intentional foul against OSU against Xavier. Then last night, you had the opposite with a ref putting Memphis at the line to win the game for a foul not near as bad as what they had let go during the game. And to compound it, that 1.1 seconds taken off was brutal. They were closer to getting it right with no time running off the clock.

That's why I hate basketball. The refs have too much control. I remember in a tournament game I was watching a year or two ago, a team had the ball with under 30 seconds to play with a chance to tie it up and the ref calls carrying. Carrying? That happens all the time but is only called like once every other game and this ref just sealed the team's fate by calling it with 30 seconds left.

I realize humans make mistakes, but what bothers me in basketball is the inconsistency with the calls and picking and choosing when to call what.

why didnt you post this about 2 hours ago and save the argument. this is exactly what we were trying to say thank you

kepdawg
03-23-2007, 11:08 PM
The great Bill Packer :rolleyes: doesn't think it was a travel.

JR2004
03-24-2007, 12:22 AM
If Greg Gumbel and company hadn't mentioned this how many people would've caught the travel? I dare say not many because it was not easily visible during regular game speed because of the camera angle the fans had available to them.

However even in real time, this is something that a referee should've caught who was standing just a few feet from the play. Vanderbilt got completely screwed by referee incompetence on the play. Those guys do not deserve to work another game in this tournament for that horrible oversight.

Panther One
03-24-2007, 01:55 AM
I was watching it at a bar with no sound, and we all saw the travel in real time.

TheDOCTORdre
03-24-2007, 11:07 AM
the travel was definatle there, not so sure about people saying there was a foul on vandys last shot. Then again I could care less I have Georgetown losing in the finals in my bracket

Matthew328
03-24-2007, 11:14 AM
I saw the game live and I said "that dude walked"

Much like football in the game of basketball when two teams are evenly matched one call can make the difference.....Vandy wasn't as talented as Georgetown but they had a great game plan and executed it....but they got a raw deal on that call....problem was the ref in positon wasn't looking at Green's feet he was looking to see if he got fouled....because there was a ref in position to make the call...