PDA

View Full Version : I saw Mr. Red Hendley today at Freddie's!

Phil C
03-23-2007, 01:21 PM
He is a retired sign painter in Sinton. He was a good basketball player in high school. He played on the great Sinton team of 1949. Taft was great that year and they were in the same district. The teams were evenly matched too and during the season they played twice each winning one and the differences were only one or two points in each game as it was to be three more times. Remember back then they only had one district winning advance and there were no three point shots. Since there was a week between playoffs they decided to have the best 2 of 3 win the district and advance. They were close indeed. In the first game at Sinton, Sinton won by a couple of points. Then the second game was in Taft and it looked like Sinton had won by one point ended the series but the refs called a foul on Sinton after time expired according to Sinton folks that told me. :)

Anyway with no time on the clock Taft made two free throws to win by one point to send it to Sinton for a final game.

With just seconds left Sinton again had a one point lead but Taft made a basket to be ahead by one point. Sinton inbounded the ball and got it to Mr. Red Hendley at half court. Time was running out so all he could do was try a miracle shot as the shot went to the basket time expired. The shot went in and Sinton won by one point and advanced into the playoffs.
That was the way it had to be with these two great evenly matched team. It is a shame they didn't have the playoff system today back then.

Exciting history indeed.

OnceABucJr
03-23-2007, 01:29 PM
Wow BPhill, you are a lot older than I thought!

Phil C
03-23-2007, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by OnceABucJr
Wow BPhill, you are a lot older than I thought!

:D I was alive back then but I was still on the bottle. :)

Phil C
03-23-2007, 02:08 PM
I'm having good luck at eating at Freddie's on Fridays. First there was Riflearm last week and then Mr. Red Hendley this week. I wonder who will be there next week. :)

AP Panther Fan
03-23-2007, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
I'm having good luck at eating at Freddie's on Fridays. First there was Riflearm last week and then Mr. Red Hendley this week. I wonder who will be there next week. :)

Maybe your new A/D?:eek: :D

Phil C
03-23-2007, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
Maybe your new A/D?:eek: :D

:)