PDA

View Full Version : Any Jerry Clower fans?

pirate44
03-23-2007, 06:28 AM
my dad taught me and my 3 brothers the fine art of humor as we grew up by listening to Jerry Clower. last night we gathered to visit with our grandparents and watch the aggie game and started talking about our favorite Jerry Clower routines. did anyone else ever listen to him?

BullFrog Dad
03-23-2007, 06:56 AM
"Just shoot up here amongst us, one of us has got to have some relief!" My VoAg teacher used to play his records during class back in HS. He is funny.

Ingleside Fan
03-23-2007, 07:58 AM
Yeah Loved the stories about Marcel Ledbetter in Yazoo city Mississippi. The Chain Saw story was the funnies or maybe the racoon hunting story?:)

CenTexSports
03-23-2007, 08:42 AM
I really enjoy listening to Jerry once and a while. Have you ever listened to Lewis Grizzard? A great writer and American Humorist. Books included:

Don't bend over in the Garden Granny, You know them tators have eyes

They yanked out my heart and stomped that sucker flat

Shoot low boys them midgets are riding shetland ponies (or something like that)

One of my favorite stories was about growing up in rual Georgia:

Growing up in a small town, we only had two churches, Methodist and Baptist. Every Sunday morning before services the two pastors would meet for prayer and fellowship. Th Methodist preacher would walk to the meeting and the Baptist preacher would ride his bicycle. On one particular Sunday the Baptist preacher also walked up. The Methodist preacher asked him where his bicycle was. He replyed, I think someone in my church stole my bike.

Needless to say, this made the other preacher very very mad. He told the Baptist preacher that he could help him get his bike back. He told him, When you get up to preach this morning, preach on the Ten Commandments. I want you to let your people feel the fire's of hell and smell the brimestone. When you get to Thou Shall not Steal, I want you to pound the pulpit and make who ever stole your bike feel so bad that they will bring it back. At that the two preachers prayed and went on their way.

The next Sunday, sure enough, the Baptist preacher came riding up on his bicycle which made the Methodist preacher so happy and just started praising God.. He asked the Baptist, did you do what I told you to do? Did you preach on the Ten Commandnebts, did you make them feel the fire and smell the brimestone?

The Baptist preacher replied, "Sort of."

What do you mean "Sort of?"

Well, I was preaching on the Ten Commandments and man they were feeling the fire and smelling the brimestone, but when I got to the commandment "Thou shall not commit adultry", I remembered where I left my bicycle!

AAA87
03-23-2007, 08:59 AM
Our o-line coach in HS, Gary Campbell used to play them every saturday in the weight room during football season for us.

"OOOHHHHH Shoot that thing"

smustangs
03-23-2007, 09:42 AM
I love him. my dad and granddad listen to him a lot

coachingislife
03-23-2007, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by pirate44
my dad taught me and my 3 brothers the fine art of humor as we grew up by listening to Jerry Clower. last night we gathered to visit with our grandparents and watch the aggie game and started talking about our favorite Jerry Clower routines. did anyone else ever listen to him? Man, I thought what a coincidence then I saw who posted it. Knock em out John, it won't be long.

pirate44
03-23-2007, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by coachingislife
Man, I thought what a coincidence then I saw who posted it. Knock em out John, it won't be long.

LOL:D

"You can grow as much corn on a crooked row as on a straight one."

coiled2strike
03-23-2007, 10:13 AM
i always liked the one about the city slicker and della the mule...

UPanIN
03-23-2007, 10:25 AM
My grandpa was bed ridden and blind when I was a kid and I would listen to Jerry Clower with him. What a hoot we had.

Thanks for the reminder of some good times with Grandpa!

kepdawg
03-23-2007, 12:24 PM
I love Clower! I usually put one of his CD's on when I go to bed at night.

I met him one time and he was a really nice guy.

Here's a link to a Jerry Clower Myspace:

Jerry Clower (http://www.myspace.com/jerryclowers )

EricDraven
03-23-2007, 12:57 PM
While playing at Mississippi State:

Coach: Clower, I want ju ta git out dere and git ferocious!

Clower: What's his number?