PDA

View Full Version : Biggio angry about pin removal

TexasHSFootball
03-23-2007, 12:14 AM
http://houston.astros.mlb.com/images/2007/03/22/whDFATxD.jpg

KISSIMMEE, Fla. -- Craig Biggio isn't one to air his gripes through the media, but the 20-year veteran was clearly unhappy when he summoned reporters to his locker during the Astros' game with the Nationals on Thursday night.

Biggio was hopping mad about an order that came down from the league office prior to the game, asking that he remove his Sunshine Kids pin from his Spring Training cap.

For most of Biggio's career, he has been the spokesman for The Sunshine Kids, a support organization for children with cancer and their families. He wears the pin -- yellow, in the shape of a sun -- on every cap while not playing in a regular-season game. He wears the pin on his batting practice hats and his Spring Training caps, as well as during every photo shoot.

He's always worn the pin during spring games without any backlash from the league or opposing teams, but according to Biggio, a league official, having watched the Astros-Devil Rays game on the local Houston Fox Southwest feed, sent word to Kissimmee that he must remove it.

A picture from that game was faxed to the Astros, who informed him of the league's request.

Biggio was not happy with the ruling, to put it mildly.

"For 20 years I've been wearing it," Biggio said. "Obviously, I'm not a disrespectful person, and I'm not disrespecting the game. I've been wearing this pin for 20 years, and it puts smiles on 20-something-thousand cancer patients.

"A lot of the bubble-gum card pictures are taken during Spring Training. The kids see it, and it makes them feel good. That's why I do it."

Biggio mentioned the threat from the league office regarding a fine, but general manager Tim Purpura said there was no fine, and no threat of one. Purpura chose not to comment further on the issue. The Commissioner's Office declined to comment as well.

Biggio, on the other hand, had plenty to say.

"I just felt it was pretty stupid," he said. "I'm the last person that's going to disrespect the game. I don't ask to wear it during the season, because that's not right. I wear it before the game, but when the games start during the regular season, I wear the regular hat. That's the way it's supposed to be."

http://houston.astros.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070322&content_id=1855585&vkey=spt2007news&fext=.jsp&c_id=hou

sahen
03-23-2007, 01:31 AM
maybe mlb needs to spend more time figuring out steriod issues than worrying about a guy supporting cancer patients....this is really dumb

Bull19
03-23-2007, 08:59 AM
THATS CRAP,,,,ALL BIG IS DOING IS SHOWING HIS LOVE FOR KIDS WITH HEALTH PROBLEMS AND MLB WANTS TO BRING HIM AND OTHER KIDS DOWN FOR IT,,,,,MLB SHOULD BE ASHAMED

piratebg
03-23-2007, 09:05 AM
What a bunch of BS :dispntd:

Txbroadcaster
03-23-2007, 09:13 AM
While it LOOKS like MLB is being jerks..they do have a reason. While Biggio is doing it for a VERY GOOD CAUSE. If they allow special circumstances, then someone will want to display something that is NOT as commendable as Biggio and when MLB says no, they will point to people like Biggio as there proof it is allowed.

Again I dont like it, but I understand it.

Ingleside Fan
03-23-2007, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
While it LOOKS like MLB is being jerks..they do have a reason. While Biggio is doing it for a VERY GOOD CAUSE. If they allow special circumstances, then someone will want to display something that is NOT as commendable as Biggio and when MLB says no, they will point to people like Biggio as there proof it is allowed.

Again I dont like it, but I understand it.

But they have allowed it for 20 years? By allowing it this long and then asking for it to be removed. There is a alternative motive here. I think?

Txbroadcaster
03-23-2007, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by Ingleside Fan
But they have allowed it for 20 years? By allowing it this long and then asking for it to be removed. There is a alternative motive here. I think?

What would that be? I think it just has not really been seen. They said ONE league guy at the game saw it and said something. Most likely before he saw it, other officals saw it and thought like we do, no big deal. But once it was reported to the league, they have no choice but to act.

themsu97
03-23-2007, 09:35 AM
catch Bonds while he is juicing, or Giambi, or Sheffield, oh but no, we love numbers and we need the hr's to put butts in the seats and we will complain about a dang pin that a guy has been wearing for 20 years...mlb is starting to become a joke as well... but at least we caught Palmeiro...

Bullaholic
03-23-2007, 09:40 AM
The league should amend their rules to allow pins or logos on an "approved" charitable organization list, and not exceeding a certain size to be worn by players. Charitable organizations not on the "approved" list could be submitted by players for approval and inclusion on the list.

Reds fan
03-23-2007, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
The league should amend their rules to allow pins or logos on an "approved" charitable organization list, and not exceeding a certain size to be worn by players. Charitable organizations not on the "approved" list could be submitted by players for approval and inclusion on the list.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Maroon87
03-23-2007, 10:03 AM
That's great...penalize one of the great ambassadors of this sport while letting Bonds and all these other jerks cheat. Reeeal smart, Mr. Selig.:rolleyes:

Gobbla2001
03-23-2007, 10:08 AM
I agree with Bullaholic here...

Biggio - The best

Phil C
03-23-2007, 10:12 AM
USE SOME COMMON SENSE!!

:mad: