PDA

View Full Version : Now that the Schaub deal appears imminent, what should the Texans do in the draft?

big daddy russ
03-21-2007, 03:32 PM
They need guys in the secondary, a solid LT, a backup RB, a DT, and either a DE or OLB that fits into a 4-3 defense. They've been bumped down to the 10th pick overall and, unless they get a compensatory pick, don't pick again until the third round at 73 overall.

What would you do?

eagles_victory
03-21-2007, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
They need guys in the secondary, a solid LT, a backup RB, a DT, and either a DE or OLB that fits into a 4-3 defense. They've been bumped down to the 10th pick overall and, unless they get a compensatory pick, don't pick again until the third round at 73 overall.

What would you do? possibly Cal's Mershawn Lynch at rb but i dont know depends on who slips Alan Branch of Michigan would be a good DT to get if he fell that far thats what i would do

Adidas410s
03-21-2007, 03:51 PM
Lynch at 10 is a stretch...I would consider the following guys:

Amobi Okoye - DT Louisville...this kid is only 19 and could give you somebody to draw guys away from Mario when they're lined up next to each other.

Levi Brown - OT Penn State...a poor man's Brick but not quite as agile and smooth at the LT spot. Still...the Texans need SOMEBODY to protect Carr/Schaub.

Patrick Willis - ILB Ole Miss...he's a bit undersized for ILB (6'1" 240) in the NFL but a move to OLB might work. Having him and Ryans together at LB could go a long way towards soldifying the Texans front seven and giving opponents more people to worry about besides Mario Williams. However...10 may be a stretch for him. Then again...if the guy can fill a need then don't just waste a pick on somebody else.

Eagles52
03-21-2007, 04:08 PM
Even when they still had the #8 pick I saw a lot of mock drafts with them getting Levi Brown, but that seemed like a stretch at #8, but at 10 it seems a little better. But they seriously need a playmaker in the secondary and a speed receiver opposite Andre Johnson, so I'm really not sure. The only good thing about the Texans being so bad is that they have flexibility for the draft lol

TexasHSFootball
03-21-2007, 04:14 PM
trade David Carr and Domanick Davis to Oakland for a pair of draft picks including the #1 pick for this year. if that happens, then the Texans know what they are dpoing.. but now it doesnt seem as if they have a clue.

Adidas410s
03-21-2007, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by TexasHSFootball
trade David Carr and Domanick Davis to Oakland for a pair of draft picks including the #1 pick for this year. if that happens, then the Texans know what they are dpoing.. but now it doesnt seem as if they have a clue.

1) The Raiders wouldn't take Carr
2) The Raiders don't need Davis...they have Rhodes and Jordan
3) The Raiders wouldn't give up the #1 pick for Carr and Davis...they don't offer enough value.

big daddy russ
03-21-2007, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
1) The Raiders wouldn't take Carr
2) The Raiders don't need Davis...they have Rhodes and Jordan
3) The Raiders wouldn't give up the #1 pick for Carr and Davis...they don't offer enough value.
What about Davis/Williams, Carr (who, believe it or not, has a big arm) and the #10 pick? Well, I guess that may be stretching it a bit also. I guess I could buy the number 10 pick, Carr and Williams into the number five range, but number one would take a whole lot more.

As far as first-round guys go, I think that these guys would be their best fits:
1. Joe Thomas, OT- Athletic tackle custom-fit for the left side of the line, exactly where they need the most help.
2. LaRon Landry, S- Best DB in the draft IMO and would fill a gaping hole at FS while also shoring up their run defense. Unfortunately, Atlanta may have moved up to ensure that they get the first shot at him.
3. Adrian Peterson, RB- If Houston deals Williams (or Davis, whatever he's going by these days), Peterson gets bumped up to number two.
4. Gaines Adams, DE- Athletic DE who could probably take over for Williams on the right side and bolster their defense even more.
5. Amobi Okoye, DT- Young and athletic, would provide a quick, 4-3-type tackle to pair with Johnson.

Those are the top ten-caliber guys they should have their eyes on. Unfortunately, I doubt anyone but Okoye is there at number ten. Alan Branch, IMO, is another Travis Johnson and just a bull in the middle. They need someone who can move inside the tackles. Levi Brown, meanwhile, still needs some work on his pass blocking from everything I've read, and that's one of the major responsibilities of a LT in today's NFL, along with the single biggest need in the Texans' offense.

I also think both OLB Paul Posluzny and S Michael Griffin are very underrated who could both be had in the early-20's. That would be one way to target a player you need and recoup some of the losses from the Schaub trade.