PDA

View Full Version : Schaub for the 40th pick... Good trade for the Texans?

big daddy russ
03-21-2007, 01:49 PM
Matt Schaub, a QB who has limited experience in the NFL, but has impressed everyone when he has played, was picked up by the Texans in exchange for their second-round pick and "possible other compensation." The trade hasn't yet been finalized and final details will come in later today, but as it stands, do you think the Texans made a good deal, and why do you think this way?

EDIT: The Texans are apparently giving up their second-rounder both this year and next year, and also dropping down from the eighth to the 10th overall pick in this year's draft.

crzyjournalist03
03-21-2007, 02:31 PM
Houston is clearly done with Carr...Schaub has a ton more potential than the retreads left on the market like Bledsoe. If they don't sign him to an extension, they only give up that second rounder and the swap of first rounders this year. If he's good, they re-sign him and give up another second rounder. Low risk, high reward move IMO.

big daddy russ
03-21-2007, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
Houston is clearly done with Carr...Schaub has a ton more potential than the retreads left on the market like Bledsoe. If they don't sign him to an extension, they only give up that second rounder and the swap of first rounders this year. If he's good, they re-sign him and give up another second rounder. Low risk, high reward move IMO.
I don't know about the "low risk" part, but the "high reward" part of your statement is absolutely true.

carter08
03-21-2007, 06:25 PM
good move

tigerpride_08
03-21-2007, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by carter08
good move

i think so to...could be a stud...

Diocletian
03-21-2007, 08:25 PM
i knew they were going for B.Q. by watching the NFL chan..... but when Clev and Det said they were looking for a QB i knew that he wouldn't fall that far

so all in all good trade for the texans let's just hope this guy has a tough chin, cause he's going to get wacked repeatedly

big daddy russ
03-22-2007, 12:16 AM
good move
I don't know, Carter. Two second-rounders and moving down two picks. That's 1,100 draft value points for an unproven QB.

As it stands right now, I don't like the trade at all. That's a whole lot to give up for a guy who may or may not turn out to be the next Drew Brees. Paint me a skeptic, but I'd like the trade a whole lot more if the Falcons threw in Big Boi, Andre 3000, and a six-pack.

big daddy russ
03-22-2007, 12:16 AM
nm... Double post

Hansum Stranger
03-22-2007, 12:20 AM
Schaub will turn out to be worse than Carr. At this point in his career Schaub hasn't had a team put together a game plan against him. Once a defense does that, people will see why he's best suited for a backup role.

sahen
03-22-2007, 12:22 AM
we shouldve tried to take Vick from them...atleast he can run away from all the free defensive linemen and linebackers the oline lets through......i guess now maybe houston will figure out that if you have a shi**y offensive line then no matter who is back there you are going to suck....

two 2nd rounders are too much for an unproven guy, but given with the way the Texans have drafted since we came into the league maybe it really doesnt matter....

themsu97
03-22-2007, 09:55 AM
wouldn't have wanted Vick... i am not sure that the Texans are done trading though... I have a feeling they will still move down and get more picks...
i just hope that they did not give away a chance at LaRon Laundry... that would be scary...
I also think that if they would have trade Carr it could have been a better bargaining tool for them...

big daddy russ
03-22-2007, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by themsu97
wouldn't have wanted Vick... i am not sure that the Texans are done trading though... I have a feeling they will still move down and get more picks...
i just hope that they did not give away a chance at LaRon Laundry... that would be scary...
I also think that if they would have trade Carr it could have been a better bargaining tool for them...
I agree with everything this guy and sahen said. Landry's a tough talent to pass up and, in my mind, is the kind of guy you build an entire defense around, a la Ronnie Lott and LeRoy Butler.

Adidas410s
03-22-2007, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
I agree with everything this guy and sahen said. Landry's a tough talent to pass up and, in my mind, is the kind of guy you build an entire defense around, a la Ronnie Lott and LeRoy Butler.
Why not move down a bit further and take Reggie Nelson? You already have Williams and Ryans in the Front 7...put somebody like Nelson over the top to shut own those passing lanes...and you can essentially eliminate a good portion of the field. Granted...a complimentary LB and DL guy are needed to do this...but it's a start.

Wait...disregard what I just wrote...I'm hoping the Cows get Nelson. IMO, he is the perfect compliment to Williams at safety. :D

themsu97
03-22-2007, 11:33 AM
Nelson is a good fit... as would be the corner from Pitt... but why if you could laundry?

the only way I would be happy would be if the Texans can trade the #10 to either New England or Chicago and pick up some of their picks...

big daddy russ
03-22-2007, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
Why not move down a bit further and take Reggie Nelson? You already have Williams and Ryans in the Front 7...put somebody like Nelson over the top to shut own those passing lanes...and you can essentially eliminate a good portion of the field. Granted...a complimentary LB and DL guy are needed to do this...but it's a start.

Wait...disregard what I just wrote...I'm hoping the Cows get Nelson. IMO, he is the perfect compliment to Williams at safety. :D
I like Nelson quite a bit, and think he would help out tremendously in cover situations, but Landry's the total package. Like I said earlier, reminds me A LOT of Leroy Butler, one of the most underrated defenders ever in the NFL. Can play the run and the pass equally effective and would give the Texans one more superstar on D.

I wouldn't mind trading down at all. NE has two first-rounders, and either Nelson or UT's Griffin in the late first, along with an OLB like Posluzny (IMO the most underrated player in the draft) or an athletic DE like Jarvis Moss should still be there late in the first.

I really think Houston needs to address another starting CB or a LT in the third round. Don't know if they can find one, but Marcus McCauley and Daymeion Hughes have been dropping since the season ended and workouts have started. There's two great starting points. I'd also look long and hard at South Carolina CB Fred Bennett along with tackles Ryan Harris (ND) and Alan Barbre (Mizzou Southern) for the left side.

themsu97
03-22-2007, 12:37 PM
scary for you Russ, but maybe not for me, is that we think alike...
people bash the Texans for being a bad organization, but forget they are only 5 years in... see the Cleveland Browns.... Carolina and jacksonville both had success early and then collapsed... the problem is people cannot get over their bias of not picking VY but those are the same people that are saying picking up Shaub is dumb because the oline sucks and nobody would be effective...
I think the Texans trade that pick and pick up more somewhere... the only complaint I would have would be if this is the only move they make and I am not sure Schaub is worth 2 second round picks

crzyjournalist03
03-22-2007, 12:59 PM
I read a report today that Schaub has signed a long term deal with the Texans. Wonder if this changes any opinions since you know you have him for more than one year now.

big daddy russ
03-22-2007, 01:06 PM
scary for you Russ, but maybe not for me, is that we think alike...
people bash the Texans for being a bad organization, but forget they are only 5 years in... see the Cleveland Browns.... Carolina and jacksonville both had success early and then collapsed... the problem is people cannot get over their bias of not picking VY but those are the same people that are saying picking up Shaub is dumb because the oline sucks and nobody would be effective...
I think the Texans trade that pick and pick up more somewhere... the only complaint I would have would be if this is the only move they make and I am not sure Schaub is worth 2 second round picks
Not scary at all. And I agree with everything you just said. The jury's still out on Schaub, so I guess all we can do now is play the waiting game and see if this deal pans out.

Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
I read a report today that Schaub has signed a long term deal with the Texans. Wonder if this changes any opinions since you know you have him for more than one year now.
It relieves my concerns a little. I'm still skeptical, but I guess they did what they felt was necessary in order to bring in a franchise QB. Any word on the terms of the contract? I'd imagine he'd be making more than the $300k he made last year, eh?

Maroon87
03-22-2007, 01:09 PM
Any word on the terms of the contract? I'd imagine he'd be making more than the $300k he made last year, eh?

6 years, $48M I believe.

big daddy russ
03-22-2007, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
6 years, $48M I believe.
That's not too bad of a deal, especially if he winds up being an All-Pro caliber QB. Now let's just hope and pray that happens.

themsu97
03-22-2007, 01:21 PM
lets play the fairy tale card here... the last time the Falcons traded thier back up qb was to the Packers, some kid named Favre...
yeah, if Schaub is even anywhere in the same county as Favre, that would be good...

Adidas410s
03-22-2007, 02:04 PM
That's not too bad of a deal, especially if he winds up being an All-Pro caliber QB. Now let's just hope and pray that happens.

He's no Tony Romo ;)

Keith7
03-22-2007, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
He's no Tony Romo ;)

Romo was a fluke, I have a feeling he will fade out this year and rad Brad will take over before its all said and done.. And Matt Shaub might be an improvement over David Carr, but not by much.. the Texas should be looking for linemen to help protect the QB now

Hansum Stranger
03-22-2007, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
Romo was a fluke

Sounds like an Eagles point of view.

big daddy russ
03-22-2007, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
Romo was a fluke, I have a feeling he will fade out this year and rad Brad will take over before its all said and done.. And Matt Shaub might be an improvement over David Carr, but not by much.. the Texas should be looking for linemen to help protect the QB now
Unfortunately, I think the only lineman in this draft that could help them is unreachable (Joe Thomas). Someone will take Levi Brown earlier than they should, and I think it'd be a bad move to take him at number ten simply because I don't know if his talent warrants it. Like I said, I have no problem with them looking for someone in round three, but we'll have to see who drops to them.

Not best-suited as a LT, but Justin Blalock would also be a nice addition to the line. Unfortunately, our second-round pick is gone. Maybe we can get someone in a trade. Who knows?

sahen
03-22-2007, 04:17 PM
wouldn't have wanted Vick...
just to clarify i was kididng about Vick, i was just saying we need a line no matter who is the Quarterback unless if we find a guy that can run a 4.3 forty backwards and have a cannon arm along with pinpoint accuracy while throwing off his back foot, unfortunately i dont think there is a player like that anywhere in the league or coming anytime soon...

I am just afraid Schaub will end up being a less mobile version of David Carr who gets sacked more cause he cant get out of the way, and in turn probably gets injured more...

on Landry that'd be great if we get him but i thought i saw where the Falcons wanted Landry on ESPN last night? If we just traded them picks they are gonna get him....

Blastoderm55
03-22-2007, 04:36 PM
Texans go with Schaub, will trade Carr

HOUSTON (AP) -- David Carr is done as the starting quarterback of the Houston Texans. The Texans acquired Matt Schaub in a trade with Atlanta on Thursday and said for the first time publicly that Carr's five-year tenure as the starter is over.

"Matt is our starting quarterback," general manager Rick Smith said. "We're trying to help David find another place. We're trying to trade him today, maybe the next couple of days."

The Schaub Era begins with the same cloud that lingered over Carr's final season: Vince Young. The Texans could've drafted the hometown star who led the Texas Longhorns to a national championship, but opted to stick with Carr in hopes he'd finally live up to his status as the first pick in franchise history.

Houston showed its faith in Carr by giving him a contract extension last offseason.

"Yes, we've made mistakes," team owner Bob McNair said. "Not just there, that's not the only place. And we'll make mistakes moving forward. The key is you've got to make more good decisions than bad decisions."

Carr became the face of this expansion team from the time he was taken No. 1 overall in 2002. He won his opener, but the Texans have gone 24-56 over five years, never posting a winning record.

Houston went 6-10 last season and Young added to the sting by carrying the Tennessee Titans to wins in eight of their last 11 games, including a dramatic overtime victory in Houston.

Now, Schaub gets a chance to make Texans fans forget about Young.

Schaub's agent, Joby Branion, said Schaub signed a six-year deal worth $48 million.

Schaub hasn't started a game since 2005 and threw only 27 passes last season. McNair said Schaub brings "the leadership that we think is needed."

Schaub acknowledged that he'll have to overcome his lack of experience.

"There are going to be a lot more things as the starter that you have to do and handle on a day-to-day basis, as opposed to being the backup," Schaub said. "It's just a matter of knowing that going in and meeting it head on."

Schaub, who was a restricted free agent, could have signed with any team, but was sold on the Texans during a round of golf he played with Kubiak on Monday.

"The thing he told me was he was going to do what it takes to be successful, as an offensive team, especially," Schaub said. "It's just an incredible opportunity for me to take the next step in my career, leading a team and running the huddle."

The Texans and Falcons also swapped first-round picks in the upcoming draft - Atlanta now has the eighth pick and Houston dropped to No. 10. Atlanta also received second-round picks in the next two drafts.

Schaub entered the league through the same draft as Eli Manning, Phillip Rivers and J.P. Losman. Kubiak said the Texans grabbed Schaub just as he's starting to blossom.

"We wanted a player who's ready to go into his prime and that's what this young man is," Kubiak said. "This guy is ready for his opportunity to run a football team. We're catching him at the perfect time. We could walk across that field today and he could take us out of the huddle."

Before landing Schaub, Houston tried to sign Jeff Garcia and Patrick Ramsey before the two joined other teams. The Texans also reportedly were pursuing Jake Plummer, who retired.

The Falcons took Schaub in the third round of the 2004 draft. The 6-foot-5 Schaub set school records at Virginia for pass completions (716), passing yards (7,502) and touchdown throws (56).

"This player is what an NFL quarterback should be," Smith said. "He's a leader. He's a strong, smart accurate passer. As we looked at the market and assessed how to get better at the position, we entertained a lot of ideas.

"At the end of the day, the acquisition we've made today is perfect for us."

Carr had similarly glowing numbers at Fresno State when the Texans chose him with the first pick in 2002. He completed 60 percent of his passes with Houston, but also threw 65 interceptions and was sacked 249 times in five seasons.

Houston also has quarterbacks Sage Rosenfels, Bradlee Van Pelt and Quinton Porter on its roster.

Carr has two years left on his contract that will pay him about $11.5 million over the next two seasons.

"We're hopeful he will continue his NFL career and be successful," Smith said.

A message was left seeking comment from Mike Sullivan, Carr's agent.

Txbroadcaster
03-22-2007, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by sahen

I am just afraid Schaub will end up being a less mobile version of David Carr who gets sacked more cause he cant get out of the way, and in turn probably gets injured more...

Schaub while being no Vick can move around pretty good AND he has a quick release and makes quick decisions

YES the OL for the Texans was bad..BUT Carr was not as good IMO of getting rid of the ball quickly.

carter08
03-22-2007, 04:52 PM
So, BDR, you seem to be the draft expert

Carr and a first round pick to Detroit for the Lions first round pick?

Any way that could happen

big daddy russ
03-22-2007, 05:23 PM
So, BDR, you seem to be the draft expert

Carr and a first round pick to Detroit for the Lions first round pick?

Any way that could happen
I definitely wouldn't call myself an expert. I've just read what all the experts have to say and regurgitate that information.

And I doubt it. Number two's a very high pick that commands HUGE value. This (http://www.theredzone.org/2006/draft/draftvaluechart.asp) website tells you what each pick is worth.

Just for fun, let's say the Texans still owned the eighth overall pick along with their second-rounder. Those two picks are worth a combined 1,900 points. Even with the eighth pick and their second rounder, they're still coming up 700 points short.

The sad thing is, all their other picks COMBINED only add up to 389.6, falling over 400 points short of the second overall pick. If they would've kept the eighth pick, their second rounder, and all their other picks, they still wouldn't have had enough value (in theory) to offer the Lions.

That's how tough it is to move up into those top few spots, and also gives you an idea of why the Texans felt they couldn't trade out of the top spot last year and get a decent value for it (though I would've pulled the trigger anyways).

Generally, I've been hearing that teams may (MAY!!!) be willing to part with a late-fifth rounder for Carr, depending on how bad they need a QB. More than likely, though, you'll see him go for a sixth- or seven-rounder. You have to remember that Carr is a QB who failed in Houston and brings the extra baggage of a huge contract.

Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me to see the Raiders go after Carr. He's got the big arm Oakland's looking for and would allow the Raiders to address either their O-Line (Joe Thomas) or problems at WR (Calvin Johnson) with the number one pick. It'd also give them more leverage with/against Randy Moss.

Not that I've heard anything like that, just saying it's a deal that makes sense to me, given the Al Davis' penchant for making off-the-wall draft day moves.

Best case scenario as far as moving up, the Texans could possibly move up to the five slot with the Cardinals. They need a lot, especially on defense and the OL, I'm just not sure what the Texans could offer them. Carr definitely wouldn't be in the picture.

I think it'd be more likely that the Texans move down and pick up some more draft picks. Just because a guy's drafted in the top five doesn't mean he's the next HOFer, and just because he's picked later doesn't make him any worse. Jerry Rice (often considered the greatest WR of all time) slipped to 16th overall, Ed Reed (the best safety in the NFL today) was picked 24th overall in the 2002 draft, Shannon Sharpe (quite possibly the best TE of all time), Tom Brady, and Terrell Davis went in the sixth round, Richard Dent (one of the five best defensive linemen of the 80's) wasn't picked until the eighth round, and Roger Staubach didn't go until the 10th round.

carter08
03-22-2007, 05:26 PM
I've heard that Oakland is interested in Carr. Might be able to get a 4th round pick for him. :)