PDA

View Full Version : Texans trade 2nd rd pick for Matt Schaub

piratebg
03-21-2007, 01:01 PM
I just saw this on NFL Network. They just traded a 2nd round pick for Atlanta Falcons backup QB Matt Schaub. :thinking:

TheDOCTORdre
03-21-2007, 01:02 PM
well this leaves atlanta in a pickle, I was almost sure atlanta was going to get rid of Vick after this season and hand off the reigns to schaub

TexasHSFootball
03-21-2007, 01:06 PM
http://nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/10078226

(March 21, 2007) -- A trade that has been speculated on for over a year is now completed.

By day's end, the Atlanta Falcons will trade backup quarterback Matt Schaub to the Houston Texans, according to NFL sources. The Texans will surrender a second-round draft pick, and there could be other compensation involved.

The trade has massive ramifications. The Texans have their quarterback of the future, which David Carr no longer is. The Falcons are reaffirming their faith in Michael Vick, who now also needs a new backup. And the Texans are out of the Brady Quinn derby, leaving the Detroit Lions, Cleveland Browns, Minnesota Vikings and Miami Dolphins as possible landing spots.

The trade, once officially completed, validates the Falcons' commitment to Vick, whom new Atlanta head coach Bobby Petrino told the first time they met, "You're my guy."

Since then, Petrino and Vick have been working together closely on an almost daily basis, prepping for the coming season.

The Falcons, who quietly had been entertaining offers for Schaub this offseason, had tendered their backup quarterback a $2 million offer, meaning that any team that signed him to an offer sheet would have to surrender first- and third-round draft choices to the Falcons. Of course, the Falcons also could always trade Schaub, and that is the course of action the team has pursued.

The Texans will be acquiring a quarterback that has thrown only 161 career passes, 81 of which were completed, with six touchdown passes and six interceptions. But Schaub long has been considered a quarterback worthy of starting, and he was the top bargaining chip the Falcons have.

Now they've decided to cash it in.

Adidas410s
03-21-2007, 01:46 PM
This deal isn't finalized yet...

The latest trade looks like this:

Houston gets:
2007 1st Round Pick
Matt Schaub

Atlanta gets:
2007 1st Round Pick
2007 2nd Round Pick
2008 2nd Round Pick

big daddy russ
03-21-2007, 01:53 PM
Houston's going to lose that much in the draft? Atlanta picks what, 10th, so they get to move up two spots and get two extra second-rounders?

If that's really what the scenario turns out to be, bad move by Houston.

Adidas410s
03-21-2007, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Houston's going to lose that much in the draft? Atlanta picks what, 10th, so they get to move up two spots and get two extra second-rounders?

If that's really what the scenario turns out to be, bad move by Houston.
I know...when I heard that a few minutes ago on FSN Radio...I was shocked that they would make that move.

Txbroadcaster
03-21-2007, 01:59 PM
If Schaub comes in a is as good as most in the NFL think he is then IMO it is worth it. You still get a top 10 pick and your getting a QB who has played in the NFL and been decently succesful and has the tools needed to be a franchise QB

In essence the Texans traded up to take A QB

big daddy russ
03-21-2007, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
I know...when I heard that a few minutes ago on FSN Radio...I was shocked that they would make that move.
I honestly thought a mid- to late-second round pick would justify his value to a lot of teams. An early-second rounder was stretching it quite a bit, IMO, but could still be justified.

I know Atlanta was originally looking for a first- and third-rounder for Schaub, but IMHO this is way too much.

Emerson1
03-21-2007, 02:06 PM
Bad move for the falcons, in 2008 in my Madden dynasty Matt Schuab being rated a 96 takes over the starting job and leads them to the super bowl.:D

Phil C
03-21-2007, 02:09 PM
Another goof up by Houston but then what do you expect? They could have had Vince.

big daddy russ
03-21-2007, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
If Schaub comes in a is as good as most in the NFL think he is then IMO it is worth it. You still get a top 10 pick and your getting a QB who has played in the NFL and been decently succesful and has the tools needed to be a franchise QB

In essence the Texans traded up to take A QB
That's a big IF to invest that much into when Brady Quinn could very well still be there at number eight. That's just my opinion, but I think they have a lot of other things they need to focus on along with QB. In my mind, they're turning their franchise into the Redskins if they pull the trigger on a move which involves giving up two second-rounders: a franchise that whittled away all their draft picks on too many risks.

Now the 'Skins suck and can't really do anything about it. But that's the nature of the beast.

Phil C
03-21-2007, 02:15 PM
Wow! I could have had a VY! :)

big daddy russ
03-21-2007, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
Wow! I could have had a VY! :)
They could've had D'Brick.

Adidas410s
03-21-2007, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
They could've had D'Brick.

Which could've saved da carr ;)

big daddy russ
03-21-2007, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
Which could've saved da carr ;)
Which could've saved two second-rounders and a shot at Adrian Peterson.