PDA

View Full Version : A Brief History Of The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

TheDOCTORdre
03-21-2007, 11:40 AM
http://movies.msn.com/movies/PMG/TMNThistory?GT1=9184

In preparation for "TMNT," we show how four turtles from Manhattan became America's favorite crime-fighting heroes

In the cinematic pantheon of esteemed talking animals, a group that includes Babe, Francis the Talking Mule and Stuart Little, the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles are truly one of a kind. They have rippling muscles, they talk like a bunch of frat boys, they pig out on pizza and they fight crime. Their spiritual leader is a gigantic Buddhist rat that wears a pink kimono, and they're named after a bunch of old European artists. Not even Howard the Duck, in all his Lea Thompson-kissing glory, is that peculiar.

If there's anything Hollywood loves, it's a comic-book adaptation. As the "Fantastic Four" has proven, even a bad movie can make money if it has good action sequences and appealing stars. The recent boom of computer-animated films, many centering on talking animals, makes the big-screen return of Donatello, Michelangelo, Raphael and Leonardo a seemingly sure thing. At least we know it can't be as bad as "Catwoman."

For the uninitiated, the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (TMNT for short) are a quartet of anthropomorphic turtles living in the sewers of Manhattan. Using their awesome fighting skills, they help rid the city of criminals, aliens and any other evil creatures that pop up along the way. Their allies are Splinter, the aforementioned rat; April O'Neil, a saucy TV reporter; and, Casey Jones, a hockey-mask-wearing vigilante. Together, they fight the evil villain Shredder, a human fiend who wears spiky, modified samurai armor.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles began as a comic book in 1984. Although creators Kevin Eastman and Peter Laird originally intended their characters to be satirical, they soon found themselves with a runaway success that would lead to countless incarnations and spin-offs, including a nationwide, daily syndicated strip and mountains of merchandise.

As the comic's popularity grew, the demand for more turtle action increased, leading to the immensely successful 1987 cartoon TV series, a Saturday-morning staple for an entire generation of children. The show ran until 1996, on CBS and in syndication, for a total run of 193 episodes. After a failed 1997 reboot that was canceled after one season, the boys made their triumphant return to television in 2003 on the nation's No. 1 guilty-pleasure channel: the FOX Network. Currently, they can be found fighting crime in the future -- 2105 to be exact -- every Saturday morning.

"TMNT," the Turtles' fourth foray onto the big screen, will be released Friday, March 23. Their gritty and hip new look, coupled with the continued inexplicable wave of '80s nostalgia, positions the film for success. High expectations run counter to the franchise's tradition of wildly divergent quality.

It all began in 1990 with "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles," an independently produced smash that grossed $135 million and established the boys as true international stars. In the film, actors in elaborate foam-rubber suits portrayed the protagonists. Puppets, miniatures and animatronics did the rest. Like many first films in superhero franchises, the movie went back in time to tell the original story of how the turtles came about, mutated and banded together. The film is also notable for appearances by Sam Rockwell and Skeet Ulrich, both of whom appear in small roles as thugs.

A second film quickly followed in 1991, entitled "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Secret of the Ooze." The film was rushed into production following the success of the first film, and it shows. The picture is strange and poorly crafted, but still manages to be fun. This time, the plot involves the turtles battling Shredder for the magical ooze that caused them to mutate in the first place. Vanilla Ice also makes his film debut in this sequel. There are so many jokes I could make here, but I'll just allow you to create your own.

The final nail in the coffin was 1993's "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III." The film follows the boys as they go back in time to ancient Japan to fight some samurai dude for some very loosely explained reason. The movie is only notable in that it provides a fascinating career arc for Corey Feldman, who voices the group leader, Donatello, for the final time. The goofy fun of the franchise was no match for the stone-face machismo and big effects of other action movies from that year such as "Last Action Hero" and "Cliffhanger."

Now we have "TMNT," the franchise's first film to reflect the Turtles' new image and to fully incorporate computer animation technology. The film also features A-list vocal talent. There's no Corey Feldman here. Instead, the diverse cast includes Sarah Michelle Gellar, Zhang Ziyi, Patrick Stewart, Laurence Fishburne, Kevin Smith and the late Mako. Although the trailer looks promising, audiences will have to wait and see whether the film delivers the big laughs and bigger action promised by the trailer.

So why does America love the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles? Is it their magnificent green color and their adolescent charm? Is it an extension of our love for talking animals? Do we simply enjoy fighting? The truth is that no one person can explain the mass appeal of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. It's one of pop culture's biggest anomalies. Think about it. If someone told you 25 years ago that a bunch of talking turtles studying Eastern philosophy and kicking butt was going to take in hundreds of millions of dollars in sales and merchandise worldwide, you'd probably laugh in their face.

Two possibilities best explain the Turtles' unlikely success. First, like all good franchises, the TMNT appeal to a wide variety of age groups: sophisticated kids, childlike adults, college-aged stoners and the confused elderly. In recent years, SpongeBob SquarePants has found gold with the same wide demographic. Second, there's that catchy theme song that is just about impossible to get out of your head.

While writing this article, the first thing I would hear from people when mentioning the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles was the theme song. With its high energy, instantly recognizable guitar riffs, the tune ranks up there with "The Brady Bunch," "Green Acres," "Gilligan's Island" and the rest of the best of the best in TV theme-song history.

Finally, in an attempt to end a nearly 25-year reign of confusion and debate: Leonardo wears the blue mask, Michelangelo wears the orange mask, Raphael wears the red mask and Donatello wears the purple mask.

Regardless of whether the film is a blockbuster or a flop, kids and longtime fans will scour the malls of America for new TMNT toys, and our friends Leonardo, Michelangelo, Raphael, and Donatello will continue to hold their rightful crown as the kings of Saturday morning.

mustang59
03-21-2007, 11:43 AM
When my son was small the Turtles had their first run of popularity. Before it was over he must have had every one of those action figures.

Blastoderm55
03-21-2007, 11:49 AM
I'll be watching it Friday after the baseball game. :D

BuffyMars
03-21-2007, 11:53 AM
They were great the 1st time around because it was the 90s and everything was cheesy then. Now, not so much. The trailers make me want to gauge out my eyeballs. :doh:

District303aPastPlayer
03-21-2007, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by BuffyMars
They were great the 1st time around because it was the 90s and everything was cheesy then. Now, not so much. The trailers make me want to gauge out my eyeballs. :doh:

the first movie i will forever remember for one lil exchange:

"Who's that?"
"Wayne Gretzky?...on steroids?"

LH Panther Mom
03-21-2007, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by mustang59
When my son was small the Turtles had their first run of popularity. Before it was over he must have had every one of those action figures. I'm pretty sure my oldest son's are still in the top of the closet. They were the ONE thing he would never let the two younger ones play with.

theyoefnshow
03-21-2007, 12:24 PM
did you just say your son is in the closet??? lol

Emerson1
03-21-2007, 12:26 PM
I downloaded the TMNT 1989 Arcade game on xbox live last night.

theyoefnshow
03-21-2007, 12:29 PM
enjoy it dude! when there is no lag, 4 player games are awesome! a group of us beat it the first day it came out and i've yet to do it again in multiplayer

Keith7
03-21-2007, 12:32 PM
TMNT was my favorite cartoon as a kid, I had almost every action figure put out, and I always bugged my parents to take me to see the movies on the first day..

I can't wait until the next movie comes out this weekend

TheDOCTORdre
03-21-2007, 12:40 PM
Did anyone else use to read the Archie Comic's : Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle Adventures comic books?

piratebg
03-21-2007, 12:54 PM
I loved the cartoon. I loved the first two movies, and now my son's do. We've watched the previews and a couple of clips on yahoo movies. We are ready, but I work this weekend so we will have to wait until Monday or Tuesday.

smustangs
03-21-2007, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by mustang59
When my son was small the Turtles had their first run of popularity. Before it was over he must have had every one of those action figures.

I did too I had em' all even the van and the lil boat deal they were the best thing since sliced bread

mustang59
03-21-2007, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by smustangs
I did too I had em' all even the van and the lil boat deal they were the best thing since sliced bread
Every day we had to watch the cartoon. To this day I can sing you the theme song. My son would line all those figures up and then question me to see if I knew the good guys from the bad ones. And do you EVEN remember how much it hurt to step barefooted on one of those little weapons?

CHS_CG
03-21-2007, 02:08 PM
sounds like i am the only one on the dl that WONT be seeing this movie i will be seeing the hills have eyes 2 this weekend though

Ranger Mom
03-21-2007, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by CHS_CG
sounds like i am the only one on the dl that WONT be seeing this movie i will be seeing the hills have eyes 2 this weekend though

I won't be seeing TMNT....I had enough of that when my kids were little!!

halfnhalf
03-21-2007, 02:28 PM
The Ninja Turtles are the single greatest thing ever thought of. Pretty much what I based my life on growing up.

theyoefnshow
03-21-2007, 03:19 PM
i'm sorry. greatest thing ever?? see Transformers, the; and Oreos.

Matthew328
03-21-2007, 06:49 PM
I loved the Ninja Turtles when I was a kid too...I remember every day at 4pm they'd come on and I'd be parked in front of the TV watching!

LH Panther Mom
03-21-2007, 07:21 PM
Cowabunga, dude!

If the boys want to go, I'll probably take them, including the 21-y/o, if he can break away from studying for a few hours. :)

mustang59
03-21-2007, 08:02 PM
Tonight I asked my 20 year old if he was going to see the movie and he said probably. I can't really tell if he's serious or just humoring his nostalgic mom.

Diocletian
03-21-2007, 08:42 PM
just watched some of the old stuff on youtube, hard to believe i atcually enjoyed the saturday it came on,

toons have gone so far these days

Keith7
03-23-2007, 05:14 PM
I just got back from watching this movie and i'm gonna go ahead and nominate it for movie of the year.. two thumbs up

theyoefnshow
03-23-2007, 08:10 PM
go see 300.