PDA

View Full Version : Intelligence in Athletics

Bullaholic
03-21-2007, 10:49 AM
We need a "hot" topic today---so here it is:

Do you believe that the intelligence level of athletes plays a bigger part in winning in today's athletic arena than in years past?

Do you think the intelligence of today's athletes is greater, less, or about the same as years past?

Do you think that the intelligence level of the teams who have won consistently is greater than those who haven't?

I think that in team sports, the overall team intelligence plays a much greater role in winning because the complexities of the strategies and spped of the game have increased so dramatically. I think the "smarter" teams have been winning more in recent years, and I think any really successful team in the long-run must have a balance of intelligence and athletic ability to win consistently. I just wish that all of our young athletes would realize how much of their athletic success will depend more and more on being able to handle the mental challenges of learning the "game" at a higher level---not to mention the "cushion" that education and learning will give them in our society should they decide not to pursue athletics for a career.

garageoffice
03-21-2007, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
We need a "hot" topic today---so here it is:

Do you believe that the intelligence level of athletes plays a bigger part in winning in today's athletic arena than in years past?

Do you think the intelligence of today's athletes is greater, less, or about the same as years past?

Do you think that the intelligence level of the teams who have won consistently is greater than those who haven't?

Wow, what a topic!

OK, to begin with, I do believe that an intelligent athlete has an advantage. It's really difficult to quantify the degree, however. Given two physically equal athletes, with the same level of experience, the more intelligent should have an advantage.

Second, let's differentiate between intelligence and knowledge. I think most athletes of today have a great deal more knowledge directly related to their sport than at any time in the past. There is greater availability of quality training in today's sports and a higher degree of specialization. In certain sports, especially certain positions, intelligence is necessary.

Having said this, though, there are sports and positions where instinct and reaction speed are more important than actual intelligence.

Do I think the athletes are more intelligent today? Not really. I mean, have you heard most of them interviewed? LOL! Seriously, I don't really thing they are more intelligent, but they do have better training and more information available.