PDA

View Full Version : Getting a new computer

pirate4state
03-21-2007, 10:20 AM
I have to shop for my own office computer since mine died. LOL! I have no clue what to look for. I need something fairly inexpensive. Nothing fancy. Any suggestions? I've been looking at Acer, HP, Compaq, etc....but there are so many out there. *sigh* :weeping:

I don't like change so I want to stick with Windows XP instead of getting Vista, but everything I look at seems to come with Vista. :(

Somebody :helpme:

Ranger Mom
03-21-2007, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
I have to shop for my own office computer since mine died. LOL! I have no clue what to look for. I need something fairly inexpensive. Nothing fancy. Any suggestions? I've been looking at Acer, HP, Compaq, etc....but there are so many out there. *sigh* :weeping:

I don't like change so I want to stick with Windows XP instead of getting Vista, but everything I look at seems to come with Vista. :(

I think it will be hard to get a "new" computer that doesn't have Vista!!

LH Panther Mom
03-21-2007, 10:23 AM
LHPD recently got an HP without Vista, but with a free upgrade. He ordered it from www.officedepot.com. (I don't know how much $$$$.....skeered to ask.)

kaorder1999
03-21-2007, 10:25 AM
Im not sure you can buy a new one at a store without Vista! I may be wrong though!

garageoffice
03-21-2007, 10:25 AM

I work for IBM and can get you an inside discount on a Lenovo if you're interested. IBM sold off their PC business, but we still get the discounts. You can still order one with XP on it, too. I can send you the info if you want.

Phil C
03-21-2007, 10:41 AM
SPARE NO EXPENSE!!

:mad:

Gsquared
03-21-2007, 10:43 AM

I just bought a new laptop and it has Vista, I like it.

Maroon87
03-21-2007, 10:45 AM
I think the main problem with Vista was whether or not your computer was equipped to accept the upgrade. If it comes with Vista already installed I'd be fine with that.

kaorder1999
03-21-2007, 10:45 AM
anybody want to buy me a new computer?

DU_stud04
03-21-2007, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
anybody want to buy me a new computer? ill buy u a new one if you buy me a new one :D

kaorder1999
03-21-2007, 10:52 AM
got an even better deal..i will give you my computer if you buy me a new one!

pirate4state
03-21-2007, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by garageoffice
I work for IBM and can get you an inside discount on a Lenovo if you're interested. IBM sold off their PC business, but we still get the discounts. You can still order one with XP on it, too. I can send you the info if you want.

Yes please!!! :) I'm shopping on the HP site and have one "customized" for $479.99 with Vista. I'm just worried about having problems with the internet since we have AT&T DSL at work and that's all I've been hearing people having problems with the new Vista software.

District303aPastPlayer
03-21-2007, 12:07 PM
is iTunes vista compatible yet?

burnet44
03-21-2007, 12:40 PM

hey send me some info
my oldest needs a laptop

help a bro out?

Gp83
03-21-2007, 02:01 PM
I have MEDIA CENTER on mine and that is the coolest thing yet.

Ranger Mom
03-21-2007, 02:10 PM
We just switched to SBCglobal 2 weeks ago, we have had little glitches here and there.

We have bought 2 new laptops in the past month or so, both installed with Vista, both computers have a problem getting and staying online.

I was down most of yesterday and this morning. I am now up and running again (with my XP), still can't connect with either laptop.

garageoffice
03-21-2007, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by burnet44
hey send me some info
my oldest needs a laptop

help a bro out?

It's in your inbox burnet44.

pirate4state
03-21-2007, 04:53 PM
My boss ordered something on his own. :eek: :eek: I should have it on Monday. I'm sure that's when all the fun will begin since it will come with Vista.

At least, if it is a piece of crap it will all be on HIM!!! :D:D

Thank you everyone who sent me information via PM. I'll definately keep it in mind b/c sometime soon I will have to replace my personal POS computer. :(

3afan
03-21-2007, 05:52 PM
I just got a new one at home --- my "connection" order the parts from newegg.com, assembled it, installed XP & a bunch of SW, all for about 1/3 the retail price of a similar Dell, etc.

:D

bobcat1
03-21-2007, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
I just got a new one at home --- my "connection" order the parts from newegg.com, assembled it, installed XP & a bunch of SW, all for about 1/3 the retail price of a similar Dell, etc.

:D

Zactly! Newegg or Tiger Direct. Built in a Systemax case with an AMD 64 X2 5000 will really zing. Customize it the way you want it. Vista later. Get XP Pro with a free upgrade and once the kinks are worked out of Vista, then upgrade. ;)

burnet44
03-21-2007, 10:00 PM
It's in your inbox burnet44.

thanks dawg
I replied