PDA

View Full Version : If we can't discuss legalized drugs lets discuss this

CenTexSports
03-21-2007, 08:12 AM
School Sued Over Teen's 'Winnie the Pooh' Socks
Wednesday, March 21, 2007

NAPA, Calif. — A seventh-grader might end up in court for wearing Winnie the Pooh socks to school.

Toni Kay Scott, 14, was sent to an in-school suspension program called Students With Attitude Problems last year for violating a dress code, according to a lawsuit against the Napa Valley Unified School District and Redwood Middle School.

She had donned socks with the Tigger character from the Winnie the Pooh cartoons on them, along with a denim skirt and a brown shirt with a pink border.

But the school's policy requires students to wear clothes with solid colors in blue, white, green, yellow, khaki, gray, brown and black. Permitted fabrics are cotton twill, corduroy and chino. No denim is allowed.

The lawsuit, filed Monday in Napa County Superior Court by The American Civil Liberties Union and a law firm on the girl's behalf, alleges that the dress code is unconstitutionally vague and too restrictive.

"We should be able to show everyone who we are and have a way to express ourselves, as long as we aren't showing off things that shouldn't be shown off at school," the teenager said in a statement.

The lawsuit said the policy goes too far and forces aesthetic conformity in the name of safety. The rules violate the California Education Code, said plaintiffs' attorney Sharon O'Grady.

A telephone message left Tuesday at Redwood Middle School was not immediately returned.

kaorder1999
03-21-2007, 08:14 AM
unbelievable. This is just another example of someone teaching their kids that following ruled arent important.

CenTexSports
03-21-2007, 08:19 AM
I think the ACLU and the law firm representing her should have to pay the school ten times their layer cost for bringing such a silly lawsuit if they lose.

Adidas410s
03-21-2007, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
unbelievable. This is just another example of someone teaching their kids that following ruled arent important.

I agree....at the same time...we can also consider how restrictive the dress code policy is/isn't against a student and if it is going "too far" in restricting personal behaviors/freedoms.

kaorder1999
03-21-2007, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
I agree....at the same time...we can also consider how restrictive the dress code policy is/isn't against a student and if it is going "too far" in restricting personal behaviors/freedoms.

they are given the choice of a few colors. The school isnt saying you have to wear white socks and white socks only. They are giving them choices. We have the same dress code it seems and its great. There are VERY few students dressed the exact same, if any.

LH Panther Mom
03-21-2007, 08:35 AM
It sounds like the dress code requires a semi-uniform. I'm sure they didn't just decide what it was going to be the day before she broke it. GMAB! 7th-9th grades, the school I attended didn't allow girls to wear denim at all & pants could only be worn on Fridays unless there was cold weather. No one bucked the system - we knew what the rules were. Failure to comply meant you were sent home and it wasn't a good thing.

mustang59
03-21-2007, 08:45 AM
Kids need to learn that so long as the rules apply across the board they need to follow them. This would have been a perfect opportunity for the girl to learn the right way to try and change the rules by gathering support from students and parents, getting a petition signed and appealing to the school administration/board. Deliberately breaking the rules rarely works and her parents should be backing the school.
I see this kind of "the rules don't apply to my kid" mentality all the time and it irritates me like a bad rash. There have been plenty of times over the years when I've had to tell my kids to suck it up because they have to follow the rules like everyone else.

kaorder1999
03-21-2007, 08:50 AM
Sadly, our school was threatened to be hit with a lawsuit and the school backed down. We have ONE (1) girl that is allowed to wear different colors. She is allowed to wear pastels. SHE IS THE ONLY ONE IN THE SCHOOL THAT IS ALLOWED TO AND WE HAVE 650 STUDENTS!!!!! Her parents taught her a valuable lesson. Complain, threaten to file a lawsuit and get what you want!

BullFrog Dad
03-21-2007, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
Her parents taught her a valuable lesson. Complain, threaten to file a lawsuit and get what you want! Welcome to the 21st Century.

Phil C
03-21-2007, 09:09 AM
Things like this happen when we disobey the saying:

BE POLITICALLY CORRECT!!

:mad:

garageoffice
03-21-2007, 10:05 AM
I'd be willing to bet the parents talked to the ACLU BEFORE the girl violated the dress code. Does anyone else smell a setup?

We have the same type of dress code here, as do many other schools. It's called "standardized dress" and it works pretty well. The thing most of the objectors don't understand is exactly what the problems are that the dress code is attempting to address. For example, although you have several colors available, you cannot wear pants and shirt of the same color. Why? To prevent gang dress for one reason. Why are solid colors required? Because of gang decoration. Add to this the other restrictions, such as the way the clothes must fit and it's all about safety and limiting distractions.

pirate4state
03-21-2007, 10:05 AM
socks??????? :rolleyes: :doh:

Blastoderm55
03-21-2007, 10:13 AM
That's just silly. If the only way a kid can express theirself is through clothes, then they've got big problems awaiting them. :rolleyes:

kaorder1999
03-21-2007, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by Blastoderm55
That's just silly. If the only way a kid can express theirself is through clothes, then they've got big problems awaiting them. :rolleyes:

great point!

smustangs
03-21-2007, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by Blastoderm55

amen your talk about serious social and emotional problems there