PDA

View Full Version : Rediculous!

Phil C
03-19-2007, 09:19 AM
I read Jim Dent's book called The Undefeated which was about Oklahoma Coach Bud Wilkinson and the 47 winning street the Sooners made in the 50s. He implied that Coach Wilkinson cheated on his wife and that football players were brought with money from rich fans. He said Coach Wilkinson would drink and then the next day would be at Church and that he led two lives. In other words a hypocrite. One player who made a long punt return to win a game had his helmet supposedly was filled with cash. He said there was a slush fund used to buy players. I remember that ere and Coach Wilkerson was highly respected and had a clean image. Jim Dent's book called The Junction Boys implied Coach Bryant had a slush fun at A&M and players were brought including John David Crow who won the Heisman Trophy in 1957.

What is upsetting is that they can't be sued because the Coaches have passed away and you can't slander the dead so they wait until they pass until they publish these falsehoods. A shame and disgrace that these men are slandered this way.

Right now they are quite on Coach Royal and Coach Paterno but when these men pass away there will be some best selling books saying the same things about these men. And that is just to name two of them. Disgraceful treatment indeed. I am so mad.

:mad:

Txbroadcaster
03-19-2007, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
I read Jim Dent's book called The Undefeated which was about Oklahoma Coach Bud Wilkinson and the 47 winning street the Sooners made in the 50s. He implied that Coach Wilkinson cheated on his wife and that football players were brought with money from rich fans. He said Coach Wilkinson would drink and then the next day would be at Church and that he led two lives. In other words a hypocrite. One player who made a long punt return to win a game had his helmet supposedly was filled with cash. He said there was a slush fund used to buy players. I remember that ere and Coach Wilkerson was highly respected and had a clean image. Jim Dent's book called The Junction Boys implied Coach Bryant had a slush fun at A&M and players were brought including John David Crow who won the Heisman Trophy in 1957.

What is upsetting is that they can't be sued because the Coaches have passed away and you can't slander the dead so they wait until they pass until they publish these falsehoods. A shame and disgrace that these men are slandered this way.

Right now they are quite on Coach Royal and Coach Paterno but when these men pass away there will be some best selling books saying the same things about these men. And that is just to name two of them. Disgraceful treatment indeed. I am so mad.

Or maybe they were just telling the truth

Phil C
03-19-2007, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Or maybe they were just telling the truth

REDICULOUS!!

Txbroadcaster
03-19-2007, 09:42 AM
REDICULOUS!!

Why? because your afraid it will destroy this wholesome image people carry with them about the the "good ole days"?

Face it..college sports was WORSE back in the day when it came to recruiting violations.

Phil C
03-19-2007, 09:52 AM
Why? because your afraid it will destroy this wholesome image people carry with them about the the "good ole days"?

Face it..college sports was WORSE back in the day when it came to recruiting violations.

Stop disillusioning the people! :(

Phil C
03-19-2007, 09:53 AM
Coach Wilkinson was highly respected and thought of even by UT fans! He was known for running a clean program and living an upright moral life!

Txbroadcaster
03-19-2007, 09:55 AM
Stop disillusioning the people! :(

I think that is what you are doing pretending that college football backl then was so clean and pure

Phil C
03-19-2007, 09:57 AM
Below is a photo of the great Oklahoma Coach. Remember this is posted by a UT fan. He was a great coach and great sports comentator.

http://collegefootball.org/playerimages/50069_1.jpg

Phil C
03-19-2007, 09:59 AM
I think that is what you are doing pretending that college football backl then was so clean and pure

Of course it was. Back then academics were first and football second. There were very few scandles back then. Coach Wilkinson had a fine outstanding reputation.

Phil C
03-19-2007, 09:59 AM
Tx I know. I was alive back then.

burnet44
03-19-2007, 10:06 AM
it was a different time
dont kid yourself
money flowed like water
thats why we have scholarship limits now

Phil C
03-19-2007, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by burnet44
it was a different time
dont kid yourself
money flowed like water
thats why we have scholarship limits now

Rediculous! The NCAA was on top of those type of things and had the fear and respect of the coaches and boster clubs and presidents. Eveyone walked the line.

Txbroadcaster
03-19-2007, 10:12 AM
Rediculous! The NCAA was on top of those type of things and had the fear and respect of the coaches and boster clubs and presidents. Eveyone walked the line.

Well since the NCAA was not created in its current stayte until 1951..and actual rules about illegal recruiting was not created until the early 60's..I kind of doubt it

Old Dog
03-19-2007, 10:14 AM
Remember, things can happen that the coach doesn't see or even care to see. There is no way ANY coach can 100% police the alumni, no way! That's one reason many of the NCAA rules are so absolutely outdated! We all think things should work a certain way, but they damn sure don't...............

If an alumni wants to give a kid money, all he has to do is send him cash in a no return address envelope. Most kids are gona keep cash that shows up in their PO Box. Phil I truely love to read your posts, but you might consider that most of the world is just not as straight forward and honest as I feel you are. I pesonally have been burned by defending friends of wrong doing, when in fact they turned out to be guilty as hell!

Phil C
Well since the NCAA was not created in its current stayte until 1951..and actual rules about illegal recruiting was not created until the early 60's..I kind of doubt it

Trust me Tx.

Bullaholic
Why you young bucks want to stir us old guys up this morning by trampling on sacred ground?

Txbroadcaster
03-19-2007, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Why you young bucks want to stir us old guys up this morning by trampling on sacred ground?

Cause I get tired of people pretending like the good ole days was all pure and act like troubles today never happened then

Phil C
03-19-2007, 10:19 AM
Cause I get tired of people pretending like the good ole days was all pure and act like troubles today never happened then

Well basically they were.

Txbroadcaster
03-19-2007, 10:19 AM
Well basically they were.

See..he makes my point for me

Old Dog
03-19-2007, 10:22 AM
I must admit, I think is lousy to wait until someone is dead and buried before a writer drags out their dirty pens and write things that can't be defended. It only damages the man's rep, his families image and the college they represented!

Txbroadcaster
03-19-2007, 10:25 AM
To this day he's almost obsessive about Oklahoma, where he had the best of times as an All-Big Six end in the late 1930s, and the worst of times as an assistant under Bud Wilkinson from 1950 to '55.

The investigation took place after Jennings had left for Nebraska. After OU was placed on probation in 1960, Jennings was ostracized not only in his hometown of Norman, Okla., but throughout the Sooner State.

Jennings was exonerated by the NCAA. Still, OU administrators and fans insisted that he had been in charge of a slush fund used to pay players, that he tipped off the NCAA to the fund after he left for Nebraska, and that he was the one who brought down Wilkinson's program.

All lies, Jennings says.

Most of the key figures involved in the case are dead, but news accounts from that time support Jennings' view.

"I know this happened 40 years ago and that people today might not care about it, but it's important to me," he said. "Bud refused to take the blame for anything. It all came down on me, and my family paid a heavy price for it. I was run out of my hometown, and that still hurts."

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_np=0&u_pg=38&u_sid=403841

Phil C
03-19-2007, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by Old Dog
I must admit, I think is lousy to wait until someone is dead and buried before a writer drags out their dirty pens and write things that can't be defended. It only damages the man's rep, his families image and the college they represented!

The point exactly!! Hear hear! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Reds fan
03-19-2007, 10:27 AM
We all know the programs were pure and clean as the driven snow;) :D

Txbroadcaster
03-19-2007, 10:28 AM
Wilkinson married his college sweetheart, an Iowa woman named Mary Shifflett, in 1938. They had two son, Jay and Pat. After 37 years, the marriage ended in divorce in 1975. The next year, the 60-year-old Wilkinson married Donna O'Donnahue, who was 27.

In 1960, Oklahoma was put on probation for denying the NCAA access to the team's financial records.

http://espn.go.com/classic/s/add_Wilkinson_Bud.html

Bullaholic
03-19-2007, 10:38 AM

Is it such a bad thing that older folks cling to the ideals that they were brought up with, TXB? We're not in denial, we just believe that there were some men in coaching who were great mentors, had high ideals and personal morals, and walked their talks every day of their lives the best that they could, and tried to instill those philosophies and beliefs in their players. Were these men perfect---not at all--but I respect the standards they tried to maintain personally and professionally during their careers. You don't gain the respect of your peers that a coach like Bud Wilkinson had if you don't do more things right than you do wrong. If there is one constant that has remained the same over time, TXB----that is the "rumor mill". I believe that if any coach engaged in the improprieties and behaviors alleged in Jim Dent's book, I think sooner or later that there would be more people off of the Wilkinson bandwagon than on because of the proliferation of questions raised about him and his programs.

Txbroadcaster
03-19-2007, 10:43 AM
Is it such a bad thing that older folks cling to the ideals that they were brought up with, TXB? We're not in denial, we just believe that there were some men in coaching who were great mentors, had high ideals and personal morals, and walked their talks every day of their lives the best that they could, and tried to instill those philosophies and beliefs in their players. Were these men perfect---not at all--but I respect the standards they tried to maintain personally and professionally during their careers. You don't gain the respect of your peers that a coach like Bud Wilkinson had if you don't do more things right than you do wrong. If there is one constant that has remained the same over time, TXB----that is the "rumor mill". I believe that if any coach engaged in the improprieties and behaviors alleged in Jim Dent's book, I think sooner or later that there would be more people off of the Wilkinson bandwagon than on because of the proliferation of questions raised about him and his programs.

Well seeing as it was pretty much admitted by players and coaches from the Wilkinson era that the slush fund was there, I think it passes for more that a "rumor mill"

And I have no problem with revering the past..but dont pretend that all the troubles in sports now are just in the present. To sweep the dirty past under the carpet but then scream about how things are now is hypocritical IMO.

Ranger Mom
03-19-2007, 10:48 AM
I can't believe I am doing this....but 3 times on the same thread was just too much for me......

it is spelled "ridiculous"

Whew...I feel better now!!:p :p

LH Panther Mom
03-19-2007, 11:01 AM
There were very few scandles back then. :crazy1: :crazy1: :doh: Puhleeeeze...

Bullaholic
03-19-2007, 11:04 AM
Well seeing as it was pretty much admitted by players and coaches from the Wilkinson era that the slush fund was there, I think it passes for more that a "rumor mill"

And I have no problem with revering the past..but dont pretend that all the troubles in sports now are just in the present. To sweep the dirty past under the carpet but then scream about how things are now is hypocritical IMO.

TXB--I'm not trying to argue, I'm just trying to explain some about where the older generation is coming from with respect to their beliefs and tendency to cling to the past. I would never accuse you of being "hypocritical" or "pretending" anything until I knew a whole lot more about you as a person and your value system..... and it takes a lot more than a few threads on a board to know that, TXB.

Adidas410s
03-19-2007, 11:05 AM

If there weren't any rules governing recruiting in the 50's and before...then what is the problem here? Based on the rules as they were at that time, nothing illegal was being done. You pointed out that rules about recruiting violations weren't created until the early 1960's.

Txbroadcaster
03-19-2007, 11:08 AM
TXB--I'm not trying to argue, I'm just trying to explain some about where the older generation is coming from with respect to their beliefs and tendency to cling to the past. I would never accuse you of being "hypocritical" or "pretending" anything until I knew a whole lot more about you as a person and your value system..... and it takes a lot more than a few threads on a board to know that, TXB.

I was not talking about YOU or Phil C..I mean in general. The way the past is idolized by the older generation is fine. I love that..BUT in the same respect the way IN GENERAL the same group will complain about "todays" sports and how it has been ruined and pretend the old players only played because of the love for the game..or that the old coaches OMLY coached with the purest of morals and never did anything wrong is hypocritical..NOT you as a person or Phil C.

Txbroadcaster
03-19-2007, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
If there weren't any rules governing recruiting in the 50's and before...then what is the problem here? Based on the rules as they were at that time, nothing illegal was being done. You pointed out that rules about recruiting violations weren't created until the early 1960's.

Oh i never said anything was wrong

I was giving Phil C a hard time because he was saying none of that went on

Phil C
03-19-2007, 11:24 AM
Oh i never said anything was wrong

I was giving Phil C a hard time because he was saying none of that went on

Of course it didn't. What is done now is that some are pitchforking the dead.