PDA

View Full Version : Holyfield batters Maddalone

Buccaneer
03-18-2007, 09:24 AM
Four-time champion continues comeback with third-round TKO.

Evander Holyfield is willing to wait for a shot at yet another world title.

The only four-time heavyweight champion hopes the chance comes sooner rather than later.

The 44-year-old continued his comeback Saturday night by scoring a technical knockout over Vinny Maddalone at the American Bank Center. An accidental clash of heads opened a gash down the middle of Maddalone's forehead midway through the first round, one of several reasons why the journeyman's corner signaled referee Ruben Carrion to stop the fight at 2:48 of the third.

Holyfield took two years off from the Sweet Science to allow injures to both shoulders heal. His third straight victory since the layoff, Holyfield hopes it shortens the road to a possible title fight.

"I'm ready for a shot right now," said Holyfield, who improved to 41-8-2 with 27 knockouts.

Holyfield plans to fight again in late June or early July, but isn't sure against who or where. Since most belt holders are training for mandatory defenses, he plans on keeping himself occupied the only way he knows how.

"I'm just going to continue to practice my craft," Holyfield said. "I'm going to keep getting better with more fights. All the champions are training for mandatory fights, so I'm just going to stay busy until then."

Holyfield never backed down from Maddalone, who bled profusely from the moment the cut opened. He kept landing punch after punch, forcing trainer Al Certo to throw in the towel.

burnet44
03-18-2007, 09:41 AM
another reason boxing is in the toilet
don king is the other

RIP Boxing

DU_stud04
03-18-2007, 11:29 AM
holyfield needs to retire, but with the heavyweight division the way it is, he has a much better shot then he should..but if he goes against Klitschko, he needs to be worried about his health.... or Valuev, that guy is a monster.

and boxing will never die.

DU_stud04
03-18-2007, 11:43 AM
http://www.1800-sports.com/images/nikolai-valuev.jpg
Nikolai Valuev
7'0''
330lbs
WBA Heavyweight champ
46-0-1

After seeing the American movie, Rocky IV, he aspired to become a boxer.

DU_stud04
03-18-2007, 12:04 PM
Dr. Vitali Vladimirovich Klitschko
http://leopod.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/vitaliklitschko.jpg
35 wins (34 KOs) and 2 losses in 37 fights
6' 7½
* EBU (European) heavyweight champion
* WBO intercontinental heavyweight champion {secondary title}
* WBA international heavyweight champion {secondary title}
* WBO heavyweight champion
* WBC world heavyweight champion
* IBA World champion
* (The) Ring Magazine's Heavyweight Champion of the World, 2004-2005 (an honorary distinction in its periodic boxer rankings)

Vitaly has the highest knock out percentage (92%) of any heavyweight champion. Out of 35 wins, 34 of those came by the way of KO or TKO. His younger brother, Wladimir Klitschko, is the current IBF & IBO World Heavyweight champion.

both brothers hold a Ph.D.

Vitali fought Chris Byrd april 1, 2000. he was complaining he had an intense pain in his shoulder and decided not to continue the fight after the 9th round....even though he was ahead on all of the cards (89-82, and 88-83 twice), but the way he ended this match brought international criticism, plus a reputation as a quitter. some gave him the nickname "Quitschko" ....he had surgery to repair the rotator cuff torn during the bout. and returned to boxing 2 years later

funny thing is that Wladimir came and signed a match with Chris Byrd and destroyed him , knocking him down twice. it felt like big brother beating up the punk that beat up the little brother.(even though Wladimir is younger)

DU_stud04
03-18-2007, 12:14 PM
Dr. Wladimir Wladimirowitsch Klitschko
http://www.swissbudo-portal.ch/wDeutsch/img/img_05/Wladimir_Klitschko_1_gr.jpg
6' 7"
48-3-0 43 KO's

this guy, even though is claimed to have a glass jaw and cant last in the ring more than 8 rounds, is a beast. i watched him box 2 weeks ago. he dominated the other guy. never used his right hand besides maybe 2-3 straights. knocked out the other guys with 4 vicious left hooks. i believe he could have gone in there with his right hand tied behind his back.