PDA

View Full Version : Woman lauds white rats as pets

TexasHSFootball
03-17-2007, 11:28 PM
BANGOR TOWNSHIP, Mich. - Marylou Morin has no use for mice, but she thinks their bigger cousins make great pets. That's right, domesticated rats. And her dog likes them, too.

Morin, known as the "rat lady," has babied rats for about eight years, ever since her daughter brought home a lab rat named "Wicket" from Western Michigan University. The one-pound, white male rat with pink eyes would fall asleep in her lap while she watched television.

She and her husband, Don, once had as many as 13 rats in their home. It's not uncommon for Morin to have a rat or two on her shoulder. The preschool teacher lets them crawl all over her.

The little animals — her current critters are "Cubby," "Sweet Pea" and "Little Bit" — relieve the stress of the daily rat race.

"They help me relax a whole bunch. They're gentle creatures, and they're just very loving," she told The Bay City Times.

Unlike wild rats, the domesticated rodents don't pose health risks, Morin said. They groom themselves frequently and even groom each other.

Her 26-pound miniature schnauzer, BobbiAnne, herds the three 8-ounce rats like a border collie rounds up sheep.

"She thinks they're her babies," Morin said. "She lets them chew on her beard, and sometimes they'll lie on her back."

mustang59
03-18-2007, 10:51 AM
When my son was a little boy he got the idea he wanted a pet rat. We took him to the pet store to check them out and my husband and I decided pretty quickly that a rat is a rat! However, lots of people have them and think their great.

JJ7997
03-18-2007, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by mustang59
When my son was a little boy he got the idea he wanted a pet rat. We took him to the pet store to check them out and my husband and I decided pretty quickly that a rat is a rat! However, lots of people have them and think their great.

They make good snake food ! :D

mustang59
03-18-2007, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by JJ7997
LOL! Fortunately we don't have any snakes. I have a friend who opened the kitchen door going into the garage one day and a large rat tried to run into the house. It was the brown and white kind you buy at a pet store and it had either escaped or been let loose. Every time she tried to open the door it ran toward her. She called me all freaked out and I had to tell her friend or not, she was on her own. Her husband took care of it when he got home.

Emerson1
03-18-2007, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by JJ7997
Actually it doesn't. It's very unhealthy to feed pet snakes rats or mice. It is cool to watch though every once in awhile. :D