PDA

View Full Version : 3A Mystique

cecilsav
11-20-2002, 03:59 PM
The Yankees have it. The Lakers have it. The Cowboys used to have it. My question is which 3A team has the most mystique over lets say the past 15 years. In other words when you think 3A football you think of this team. Limit your replies to 2 teams.
I go with Sealy and Commerce.

eaglefan24
11-20-2002, 04:03 PM
I'll definitely agree with the Sealy pick, but I'm kinda gonna go against the grain on this next one. Even though it is only their 1st year in 3A, they still have state mystique that has continued since their move to 3A and that is Celina. Sealy put their stamp on history with 4 state champsionships, but Celina's record speaks for itself and any team that can win 4 straight state champsionships, move UP a classification and still be undefeated and a state contender definitely makes my top 2.

cecilsav
11-20-2002, 04:10 PM
Excellent thought eagle. I have never see Celina play and I still think they have much to prove in 3A, but they do have a certain air about them.

<small>[ November 20, 2002, 03:12 PM: Message edited by: cecilsav ]</small>

eaglefan24
11-20-2002, 04:20 PM
I haven't had the opportunity to see them play either, but I've kept up with them over the course of the season just to see how much success they were going to have with moving up. The win over Gainesville and the fact that they are 11-0 right now and a favorite to make it out of Region 2 has solidified in my mind that they are for real.

PPHSfan
11-20-2002, 04:51 PM
Celina has a little mystique that is for sure. But lets face it. If Celina goes all the way and wins state this year as the DII rep. Then schedules next years preseason games against the DI and DII winners from 5A and 4A and the DI winner from 3A and Goes 9-1 next year. :p (They will not beat Pilot Point next year :D ) they will still not have satisfied some that they are WORTHY :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

eaglefan24
11-20-2002, 04:58 PM
Look, I know you're from Pilot Point and ya'll are rivals with Celina but don't take anything away from them. When someone mentions Celina, the word "dynasty" comes to mind. If they win state this year then it really won't matter what they do next year as long as they don't go 0-10. Everyone knows that the winning streak will not go on forever, but it has lasted long enough, and through 2 classifications and that is enough to solidify their place in Texas football history for sure.

PPHSfan
11-20-2002, 05:03 PM
eaglefan24,

I think you may have missed the sarcasm that my post was laced with. If you look around the board you will find that I am one of Celina's biggest supporters. I have been telling everyone here for eleven weeks that they were going to go deep, just ask around. The ONLY time of the year I am not a Celina fan is the week they play Pilot Point. And you will find the same is true in Celina. We have one of the greatest rivalries in Texas, but we also have the greatest respect for one another.

<small>[ November 20, 2002, 04:04 PM: Message edited by: PPHSfan ]</small>

eaglefan24
11-20-2002, 05:06 PM
that's cool to know. i didn't see how anyone coudl actually argue that they were a great program no matter what class.

cecilsav
11-20-2002, 05:15 PM
The bottom line is while Celina deserves credit I just don't think they have been in 3A long enough to warrant serious mention with the topic on this post.

PPHSfan
11-20-2002, 05:18 PM
OK

Forney
and
Everman :D

cecilsav
11-20-2002, 05:22 PM
The bottom line is while Celina deserves credit I just don't think they have been in 3A long enough to warrant serious mention with the topic on this post.

cecilsav
11-20-2002, 05:25 PM
Forney is a decent pick, though they have not won a championship. Everman has a ring, but brief 3A history. I'd pick them before Forney because they have won it all at least once and have been pretty dominating.

bleedgreen
11-20-2002, 05:25 PM
Based on my experience since 1971, I would have to say Daingerfield. Year end and year out, they have a way of rising to the top.

Owen B
11-20-2002, 05:27 PM
Being from Commerce, my choice is easy and it's the same as yours, cecilsav. Sealy has the string of championships and Commerce has the three championship games with Sealy, two championships, the best record in 3A of any team over past 12 years or so, and the longest current string of playoff appearances.

Celina is doing very well in 3A but their championships were all in 2A, as were most of the games in their winning streak. Their accomplishments over the period you're talking about are second to none but their 3A accomplishments are, so far, an 11-0 season. That is not particularly unusual. It's not even all that unusual for a small 3A team. Newton is only slightly larger than Celina and they were undefeated against 3A teams in 1998. Their only loss was to a very good 4A West Orange-Stark. Crane, which is now smaller than Celina, was only slightly larger than Celina in 1999, when they were 14-0 going into the 3A semifinals.

None of the above takes away from Celina. They have as much mystique as anyone. It is simply not identified primarily with 3A football. If they hang around and have continued success in 3A for a period of years, it will be. I'm not saying that won't happen. It just remains to be seen.

Owen B
11-20-2002, 05:43 PM
Daingerfield is a good choice, especially if you're looking at the last 20 years. Commerce is still just a flash in the pan compared to them. (That's beginning to change, though.)

cecilsav
11-20-2002, 06:04 PM
Owen it's hard at this point to call Commerce a flash in the pan even caompared to Daingerfield. Remember there have been years they did not make it to state that they still made it deep into the playoffs and had great teams. Dangerfield had a tremendous streak but I'm not sure if they had maintained yearly greatness as well as Commerce.

Rabbit'93
11-20-2002, 06:37 PM
What about SL Carroll? Just a thought. But I would go with Sealy as well.

2001GiddingsLB
11-20-2002, 06:43 PM
Columbus and Sealy, both of these teams had two of the winningest records in the 90's though the Cardinals haven't had a good season in the past 3 years. When the district used to be Sealy, Columbus, and Bellville sometimes they would go 10-0, 9-1, 8-2 and one team wouldn't make the playoffs.

cecilsav
11-20-2002, 07:01 PM
But how many championships has Columbus won? I know that had some good years but how many rings?

Owen B
11-20-2002, 07:04 PM
Perhaps "flash in the pan" is erring on the side of modesty. After reading your response, I went and looked up Daingerfield's record. Although it is very good, it is not quite as good as I had thought. Still, they have made the playoffs, been State finalists, and won State championships exactly the same number times in the past 20 years as Commerce has. And, of course, their 1983 team was the most dominating team in the history of 3A and probably of Texas High School football.

cecilsav
11-20-2002, 07:22 PM
The 93 Daingerfeild team was the best group in the modern era in one classification. They could have beaten most 4A teams and some good 5A's as well.
My point is that Commerce, Sealy, and maybe even LaGrange has been better year in and year out over the past 15 years or so.

cecilsav
11-20-2002, 08:50 PM
Another team to consider is Cuero.

ElMeroMero
11-20-2002, 10:37 PM
What about Newton? They've been good throughout the 90's.

Puppetmaster101
11-21-2002, 09:10 PM
GO WOS Mustangs :D

MASH4077
11-21-2002, 09:57 PM
The 1980 Pittsburg team was the best 3-A football team I have ever seen. They shut out something like 13 out of 15 opponents including my 12-0 Decatur Eagles (28-0) that were good enough to win state any other year but that one.

AggieJohn
11-21-2002, 10:27 PM
ALERT ALERT ALERT

Celina I.S.D. has just annexed a big chunk of property into their district..turns out that this will pull them to 4a next year....some 500 more kids....

Just kidding...but think about it....if they won the D2 this year then after next season continued the streak and played in 4a they would have a 90+ game winning streak in football and have played over three classifications....it's not even feasable but it would be a story for the ages....

PPHSfan
11-22-2002, 05:43 AM
The funny part about your post explayer is that Celina is so small 500 more students would not be enough to move them up to 4A. They would need closer to 600. Amazing huh?

But it would still be amazing. I would not put it past Celina to win a 4A ring as well, if anyone could do it, they could.

aamove
11-22-2002, 07:52 AM
I would probably pick Commerce. They have proved that no matter when you play them, they are a team to contend with. A great program with a winning legacy. Forney would be my second pick, like Commerce they have proved that they can go through changes and still be contenders. Celina, Sinton, Newton, Everman and several others that always make it deep into the playoffs and have winning traditions would also be on my short list of good teams

CelinaFan
11-22-2002, 09:39 AM
I think as Celina and Pilot Point mature in the 3A arena they will both make a mark as contenders in 3A ball. Can Celina pull of another one this year? I dont know. That would be a very large accomplishment. I sure hope so. But, without question over the next few years the Celina program will make a mark in 3A. It would be arogant to say they can establish themselves like Commerce, Sealy, Dangerfield, Gainsville...ect in a couple of years. But I think when all is said and done Celina will be a team that wont be looked at as a underdog when playing some of these teams just because they are new to 3A ball. This is very premature but looking at the Celina team as it stands now. "Many" starters will be back next year. The team is basically a young team, soph QB, lots of Junior linemen. I think the team Celina fields next year will actually be better than this years team...thats hard to say about a team thats 11-0. But!!!! We will see. Our rivals and friends in Pilot Point are always going to be a solid, tough, and scrappy team to be dealt with as well. It will be fun to watch as the years role on.

Gobbla2001
01-16-2003, 05:15 PM
When I think of Mystique I think of ALL-TIME (Mostly since 1967 when integration took place), not 15 years...

Thought they're not in 3A anymore, they're still going in 4A, BROWNWOOD, they will ALWAYS have a mystique about them and that mystique was started in 3A...

Of course you know my second vote (Cuero)...

4 Appearances in the 70's, 3 in the 80's and two in the 90's... 00's? Thought we've gone 9 times and have only came out on top 3 of them, teams would kill for a 3-6 State Championship (Oh, and all appearances were in 3A)... A 44-game winning streak And the best 3A record since 1967 (minus Childress, who put most of their record up in 2A, and Celina and Pilot Point, yet again, 2A)... We have a total of 513 all-time wins (the 500th coming against Gonzales my Senior season)...

My vote for best mistique: TIE, Cuero and Dangerfield...

cunbed10
01-17-2003, 02:51 PM
Cameron Yoe and Dangerfield.