PDA

View Full Version : i thought this was i nice article till the end...Texas A&I @ Corpus Christi??!!

pirate44
03-16-2007, 07:50 AM
WWJD? Pick the Islanders, comedian says
By Israel Saenz Caller-Times
March 16, 2007

At least it's attention.

And the Islanders have been receiving plenty of it on late-night talk shows.

Carson Daly asked a Jesus impersonator to predict the NCAA Tournament winner on Wednesday's "Last Call with Carson Daly."

The impersonator's pick - Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi.

"What? That's crazy, they're horrible," Daly said. "That would take a miracle."

"Oh, I know," the Jesus impersonator replied, winking.

Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi Athletic Director Brian Teter didn't stay up late enough to watch the exchange, but chuckled after hearing about it.

He realizes jabs come with the team's underdog status. The University of Wisconsin is a 13-point favorite over the Islanders in their match-up today in Chicago.

Teter, in Chicago preparing for the game, said jokes are just a facet of the overall positive exposure for the school.

"I'm not worried about people making fun of us," he said. "We've arrived at the national stage now. It's all about exposure."

VIDEO

Stephen Colbert's Sports Report

Teter didn't laugh as much at Stephen Colbert's joke.

Colbert, of Comedy Central's "The Colbert Report," is known for slamming politicians. But on Wednesday he joined in with his own Islanders jab as he gave tips for picking Final Four teams.

"For the first game, pick Texas and Texas A&M - stand by our president," he said. "But be sure not to confuse Texas A&M with Texas A&M-Corpus Christi. Use this mnemonic device: Texas A&M will make it to the Final Four. Texas A&M-Corpus Christi will not."

Despite the national sentiment that an Islanders win is a long shot, fans believe.

"They've got just as much chance as the other guy," said Virginia Greer, who graduated in 1977 from what was then Texas A&I University at Corpus Christi. "Why not?"

Teter seems to enjoy being the underdog. He said the Islanders are the only team this year in the tournament for the first time.

"People will mention us, whether it's a one-liner or whatever," he said. "But they know about us."

Contact Israel Saenz at 886-3767 or saenzi@ caller.com

Bull Butter
03-16-2007, 11:49 AM
From 1973-77 the university was known as Texas A&I-CC. Then it became Corpus Christi State University.

pirate44
03-16-2007, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by Bull Butter
From 1973-77 the university was known as Texas A&I-CC. Then it became Corpus Christi State University.
wow. thanks for the info. ya learn something new every day. now about that "University of Texas - Kingsville" on Steve Patz's resume:thinking: