PDA

View Full Version : Graduation Rates for Universities?

Funk-d-fied
03-15-2007, 10:46 AM
Are students really getting an education or just a grade to "get on the court?"

What do you think? What are some examples and stats?

Funk-d-fied
03-15-2007, 10:51 AM
Here are some stats...from this past football bowl season.

Iowa will play Texas in the Alamo Bowl Game. Each team will take home between $2.2 million..that will make no difference to the average student's tuition costs.

What I learned today were a few more important numbers...the graduation rates of the students in the games.

Iowa will graduate 64% of its football players - 52% of its African American football players. Compare that to a 81% overall student-athlete graduation.

Texas will graduate 40% of it football players and 33% of its black players compared to a 75% overall graduation rate.

Funk-d-fied
03-15-2007, 10:52 AM
California will graduate 44% of its football players - 38% of its African American football players. Compare that to a 73% overall student-athlete graduation.

Texas A & M will graduate 63% of it football players and 56% of its black players compared to a 72% overall graduation rate.

Funk-d-fied
03-15-2007, 10:53 AM
Rutgers will graduate 58% of its football players - 58% of its African American football players. Compare that to a 75% overall student-athlete graduation.

Kansas State will graduate 76% of it football players and 68% of its black players compared to a 76% overall graduation rate.

Phil C
03-15-2007, 10:54 AM
UT's black players get rich in the NFL. :)

Funk-d-fied
03-15-2007, 11:00 AM
very true.

Pudlugger
03-15-2007, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by Funk-d-fied
Rutgers will graduate 58% of its football players - 58% of its African American football players. Compare that to a 75% overall student-athlete graduation.

Kansas State will graduate 76% of it football players and 68% of its black players compared to a 76% overall graduation rate.

I once supervised a young man who was a football player while at K State in the early 70's. He graduated but was functionally illiterate. He could not write a coherent paragraph and could barely read. It made me wonder how he got his degree.

Blastoderm55
03-15-2007, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by Pudlugger
I once supervised a young man who was a football player while at K State in the early 70's. He graduated but was functionally illiterate. He could not write a coherent paragraph and could barely read. It made me wonder how he got his degree.

I've heard those kineseology degrees are pretty easy to earn. :p

Pudlugger
03-15-2007, 11:12 AM
In this case it was public health education. LOL

GOFOR2
03-15-2007, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by Blastoderm55

You must have gotten one huh? Its spelled Kinesiology.

Blastoderm55
03-15-2007, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by GOFOR2
You must have gotten one huh? Its spelled Kinesiology.

I suppose you're now putting your literature degree to good use by lurking on forums waiting for spelling errors, at which point you pounce on a poor schmuck in an error to compensate for lack of talent in other areas.

Congrats Spell Cheker! :D

GOFOR2
03-15-2007, 11:26 AM
I suppose you're now putting your literature degree to good use by lurking on forums waiting for spelling errors, at which point you pounce on a poor schmuck in an error to compensate for lack of talent in other areas.

Congrats Spell Cheker! :D

It isn't a literature degree and I don't need a spell checker for something as simple as that. If you are gonna criticize don't get so defensive when you are critiqued.

Blastoderm55
03-15-2007, 11:31 AM
It isn't a literature degree and I don't need a spell checker for something as simple as that. If you are gonna criticize don't get so defensive when you are critiqued.

Me? Defensive? Never! :D I'll be sure to keep dictionary.com open for reference from now on. Hopefully I'll spell it correctly.

GOFOR2
03-15-2007, 11:33 AM
Me? Defensive? Never! :D I'll be sure to keep dictionary.com open for reference from now on. Hopefully I'll spell it correctly.

go sell some furniture and drop the issue.

Blastoderm55
03-15-2007, 11:34 AM
go sell some furniture and drop the issue.

Come buy some and I'll consider it.

GOFOR2
03-15-2007, 11:37 AM
;)

mwynn05
03-15-2007, 12:15 PM
I've heard those kineseology degrees are pretty easy to earn. :p I want to see you pass anatomy and physiology 1 and 2, biomechanics, and exercise physiology then tell me how easy it is....and if you dont have a college degree you dont need to be judging ANYONE and say oh its just an easy degree

Keith7
03-15-2007, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by mwynn05
I want to see you pass anatomy and physiology 1 and 2, biomechanics, and exercise physiology then tell me how easy it is....and if you dont have a college degree you dont need to be judging ANYONE and say oh its just an easy degree

Ya I thought about becoming a kinesiology major until I saw the amount of science classes you have to take, and so I decided to stick with journalism

GOFOR2
03-15-2007, 12:26 PM
I want to see you pass anatomy and physiology 1 and 2, biomechanics, and exercise physiology then tell me how easy it is....and if you dont have a college degree you dont need to be judging ANYONE and say oh its just an easy degree

my favorite was exercise prescription. I didnt major in Kinesiology but I took 30 hours of theory courses just for grins.

Pudlugger
03-15-2007, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
Ya I thought about becoming a kinesiology major until I saw the amount of science classes you have to take, and so I decided to stick with journalism

I guess that explains your position on Global Warming, LOL. :D

g$$
04-11-2007, 06:29 PM

Depends on where you get it. Kinesiology = the science of movement, thus involving many science & motor learning classes. It can be a challenging road although the stereotype is that it's easy. Any course can be hard depending on instructor & curriculum at that school. Don't be so quick to judge something you obviously know very little about...

I can name many "easier" degree options.

Old Tiger
04-11-2007, 06:32 PM
I want to see you pass anatomy and physiology 1 and 2, biomechanics, and exercise physiology then tell me how easy it is....and if you dont have a college degree you dont need to be judging ANYONE and say oh its just an easy degree anatomy and physiology 1 is okay but 2 is HARD!

g$$
04-11-2007, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
anatomy and physiology 1 is okay but 2 is HARD!

Agreed. I took A&P 1 & 2. Very challenging & anyone who says differently never took it. Kinesiology classes can be very tough.

lepfan
04-11-2007, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
UT's black players get rich in the NFL. :) They have to get rich...to buy their weed.

smustangs
04-11-2007, 07:40 PM

thank you i hate when people see kines major and automatically assume your a dumbass and took the easy road

shadow13
04-12-2007, 01:19 AM
Texas Tech graduates 94% of it's student athletes...look it up!

injuredinmelee
04-12-2007, 01:21 AM
Originally posted by Pudlugger

early 70's I was gonna say it was Michael Bishop!

injuredinmelee
04-12-2007, 01:21 AM
Originally posted by shadow13
Texas Tech graduates 94% of it's student athletes...look it up!

because none of them are ever good enough to leave school early for a draft.

g$$
04-12-2007, 01:24 AM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
early 70's I was gonna say it was Michael Bishop!

He never passed the TASP test (then required to play at a Texas public university). That is why he left for K-State. I know this because I evaluated his transcript at A&M. Not even close!

Bill Snyder was cheating for years at K-State. You should hear the recruiting stories...

shadow13
04-12-2007, 01:29 AM
because none of them are ever good enough to leave school early for a draft. That's a good thing ,because a college degree last alot longer then the NFL, NBA, or MLB, GO TECH!

injuredinmelee
04-12-2007, 01:30 AM
Originally posted by g$$
He never passed the TASP test (then required to play at a Texas public university). That is why he left for K-State. I know this because I evaluated his transcript at A&M. Not even close!

Bill Snyder was cheating for years at K-State. You should hear the recruiting stories...
I have heard horror stories about the guy when he was in high school.

injuredinmelee
04-12-2007, 01:31 AM
That's a good thing ,because a college degree last alot longer then the NFL. GO TECH!
with that fancy lubbock degree they wont make as much money in their life as a nfl star makes in a three year contract.

Old Tiger
04-12-2007, 01:33 AM
That's a good thing ,because a college degree last alot longer then the NFL, NBA, or MLB, GO TECH! Hm...i'd take multi millions and leave early than stay and finish school. You can always afford to go back and pay for school :)

shadow13
04-12-2007, 01:34 AM
with that fancy lubbock degree they wont make as much money in their life as a nfl star makes in a three year contract. Say what you want,but in my book the degree means more.

shadow13
04-12-2007, 01:37 AM
Do any of you remember Bo Jackson? One freak injury and it's all over. A degree is for a life time.

Old Tiger
04-12-2007, 01:38 AM
Do any of you remember Bo Jackson, one freak injury and it's all over. A degree is for a life time. Made money in baseball before he hurt his hip in football. Was an AL all-star(All-star MVP).

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-GPxkpjCvWI&mode=related&search=

g$$
04-12-2007, 03:31 AM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
Made money in baseball before he hurt his hip in football. Was an AL all-star(All-star MVP).

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-GPxkpjCvWI&mode=related&search=

Best 2 sport star of our era. Much better baseball player than Deion Sanders. Bo was a freak of nature until that hip injury ended it all.

Lead-off homerun off "Big Daddy" Rick Reuschel in that All-Star Game you mentioned. Big fly too! Remember it well.