PDA

View Full Version : The Big Goofup of Late 1972

GreenMonster
03-14-2007, 08:43 AM
OK, fine, I'll make a new thread for it if you'll "PHIL" us in.

Phil C
03-14-2007, 09:42 AM
In late 1972 after American Bobby Fischer had defeated the Russian Boris Spasky for the world chess championship chess became very popular in America. Church's Fried Chicken sponsored a chess tournament in San Antonio. I was living in Kingsville at the time. Bobby Fischer didn't participate and neither did Spasky but there were several outstanding world chess players that did. These included Bent Larson, Walter Browne, Lajos Portisch, George Koltawowski, Paul keres, Anatoli Karpov, Tigren Petrosian and Victor Korchinoic just to name some. It was a great tournament.

The thing is I could have gone and my father asked me if I wanted to go. Foolishly I said no and missed out on the chance of a lifetime to see these great chess players play. Most regretable indeed.

I could have seen Petrosian who had been a world champion chess player in the past, Antatoli Karpov who was to be a future world chess champion and Victor Korchinoic who was to be a world champion contender. Plus the other great chess players.

Very foolish to have not taken that opportunity. :(

pirate44
03-14-2007, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
In late 1972 after American Bobby Fischer had defeated the Russian Boris Spasky for the world chess championship chess became very popular in America. Church's Fried Chicken sponsored a chess tournament in San Antonio. I was living in Kingsville at the time. Bobby Fischer didn't participate and neither did Spasky but there were several outstanding world chess players that did. These included Bent Larson, Walter Browne, Lajos Portisch, George Koltawowski, Paul keres, Anatoli Karpov, Tigren Petrosian and Victor Korchinoic just to name some. It was a great tournament.

The thing is I could have gone and my father asked me if I wanted to go. Foolishly I said no and missed out on the chance of a lifetime to see these great chess players play. Most regretable indeed.

I could have seen Petrosian who had been a world champion chess player in the past, Antatoli Karpov who was to be a future world chess champion and Victor Korchinoic who was to be a world champion contender. Plus the other great chess players.

Very foolish to have not taken that opportunity. :(
college in 72? Phil C, youre younger than i thought