PDA

View Full Version : College Baseball Polls

Funk-d-fied
03-14-2007, 08:42 AM
USA TODAY/ESPN Top 25 Coaches' Poll

March 12, 2007

The USA TODAY/ESPN Top 25 baseball coaches' poll, with records through Sunday, total points based on 25 points for first place through one point for 25th, ranking in the preseason poll and first-place votes received:

Rank School (first-place votes) Record Points Last week

1 Vanderbilt (22) 18-0 763 1

2 North Carolina (5) 15-1 722 3

3 Florida State (4) 20-0 698 4

4 South Carolina 13-2 680 2

5 Oregon State 17-3 585 8

6 Clemson 10-4 549 7

7 Virginia 16-3 526 5

8 Rice 14-7 505 9

9 Pepperdine 15-5 459 10

10 Texas A&M 18-2 436 16

11 Texas 15-7 410 13

12 Arkansas 13-5 386 12

13 Auburn 17-2 360 17

14 Arizona State 13-7 336 11

15 Cal State Fullerton 12-8 332 6

16 Wichita State 13-4 315 14

17 Kentucky 16-0 259 20

18 Long Beach State 10-5 249 19

19 Mississippi 13-5 209 21

20 Coastal Carolina 15-3 166 25

21 Oklahoma State 12-4 124 24

22 Nebraska 8-5 117 18

23 Miami (Fla.) 10-9 114 15

24 Southern California 15-9 85 NR

25 San Diego 15-9 82 NR

GOFOR2
03-14-2007, 08:49 AM
Is that the way USA Today spells out the 11th ranked team?

Maroon87
03-14-2007, 08:53 AM
I didn't realize Tulane was that good this year. A #11 ranking is pretty good for them I'd say.:D

Funk-d-fied
03-14-2007, 09:04 AM
I wouldn't worry to much about the spelling... Admire what they are doing on the field rather what the spelling is like.

injuredinmelee
03-14-2007, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by GOFOR2
Is that the way USA Today spells out the 11th ranked team?

its an envy thing.

GOFOR2
03-14-2007, 09:08 AM
At least Big XII and Texas schools are playing well this year.

Maroon87
03-14-2007, 09:10 AM
All I know is, I hope the Horns can improve and host the Super Regional. If they do it will be at Whataburger Field in CC, from what I heard.:cool:

pirate4state
03-14-2007, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by Maroon87
All I know is, I hope the Horns can improve and host the Super Regional. If they do it will be at Whataburger Field in CC, from what I heard.:cool:

That would be awesome. That place would be PACKED!!! :eek:

3afan
03-14-2007, 09:15 AM
can't imagine why they would host a SR in CC and not the new/improved Disch-Faulk - or Dell Dmnd

pirate4state
03-14-2007, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by 3afan
can't imagine why they would host a SR in CC and not the new/improved Disch-Faulk - or Dell Dmnd DF won't be ready and Round Rock Express is in town that weekend.

GreenMonster
03-14-2007, 09:20 AM
What all is being done to D-F???

pirate4state
03-14-2007, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
What all is being done to D-F??? It's going through a face lift. They are playing there now, but with all that construction they won't have the seating available for all the fans to host a super regional. There is an article floating around here somewhere about it. I'll see if I can find it.

pirate4state
03-14-2007, 09:29 AM
Return trip in the works for Texas
Should Longhorns host a Super Regional, home site will be Whataburger Field

By george Vondracek Caller-Times
March 7, 2007

The University of Texas' baseball team found the accommodations mighty fine Tuesday. With a large crowd of supporters, the Longhorns were right at home at Whataburger Field on their first visit to South Texas.

The Longhorns found their hosts mighty accommodating as well in their 10-6 victory over Texas A&M-Corpus Christi, taking advantage of three errors while pounding four pitchers for 16 hits in beating the Islanders for the eighth time in nine meetings.

And if things fall correctly, UT would love to enjoy the accoutrements of Corpus Christi and Whataburger Field one more time this season.

Should the 12th-ranked Longhorns be fortunate enough to advance to the NCAA Super Regional round and wind up playing host, Whataburger Field would be their home while Disch-Falk Field undergoes major renovations. UT's home diamond won't be ready for play until 2008.

"It's a great opportunity for the city of Corpus Christi. They'd never had a UT game here in Corpus, and UT seems to be warm to the reception here," said Reese Ryan, chief financial officer of the Hooks. "To host the Super Regionals here in Corpus Christi would be a great way to showcase the city."

Judging from the throng of 7,002 in attendance, the majority of which was clad in burnt orange, the Longhorns would get a rousing welcome should they return in June.

"It's definitely always fun to play in front of a big crowd. I always wanted to come check out this ballpark," said UT outfielder Jordan Danks, whose brother John pitched for Frisco against the Hooks the last couple of seasons. "I know my brother pitched here a couple of times, and I hadn't seen it yet. Everybody keeps telling me it's a smaller version of Dell Diamond and it really was. I felt like I was back in Round Rock today. I felt real confident today. It was good to have fans behind us."

The plan to bring the Super Regionals here has been in the works for a few months, Ryan said, with his brother and Hooks CEO Reid Ryan, Round Rock Express CEO Jay Miller and UT personnel brainstorming the notion. The Dell Diamond in Round Rock was the first choice for the regionals and Supers, but the Express is at home during the latter. The Hooks, meanwhile, are on the road in Midland and San Antonio during the time the Supers would take place from June 8-10.

"It couldn't have worked out any better for the national media to see Corpus Christi," Reese Ryan said.

Of course, the 13-6 Longhorns have to make it that far. But UT coach Augie Garrido, for one, wouldn't mind another visit.

"The environment was fantastic. The overall excitement and energy of the crowd, I told the kids before the game that this is going to be like a College World Series game, where you have a lot of people who are going to be excited about your presence because of the Texas thing," said Garrido, who is four wins shy of 1,600 for his coaching career. "They're going to be filled with energy. We needed to stay really focused on our performance and not get caught up in the excitement that goes along with the uniform we wear. 'Don't get too lost in the fact it's about you. It's about the uniforms you're wearing.'"

Contact George Vondracek at 886-3731 or HYPERLINK mailto:vondracekg@caller.com vondracekg@caller.com

KL3
03-14-2007, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
its an envy thing.

Why would we envy a team we are ranked ahead of?

pirate4state
03-14-2007, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by KL3
Why would we envy a team we are ranked ahead of? That is the million dollar question.

Funk-d-fied
03-14-2007, 09:49 AM
Who changed tu to TEXAS? Mods? anyone have a clue?

Phil C
03-14-2007, 09:53 AM
Hey Funk-d-fied to they have any continueing education classes at Texas A&M for accountants especially governmental accounting or cpa ethis class. I want to go to College Station for a conference. That way I can buy some maroon colored ink pins and maybe get a copy of the great movie We've Never Been Licked and visit the campus.

Ranger Mom
03-14-2007, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by Funk-d-fied

It wasn't THIS mod!!

Funk-d-fied
03-14-2007, 09:55 AM
Anyone else?

pirate4state
03-14-2007, 09:56 AM

USA Today called and they wanted their poll reflected properly.

Funk-d-fied
03-14-2007, 09:56 AM
Phil- try this. I am not to sure but here it is.

http://www.texasonline.state.tx.us/NASApp/tamu/ODEManager

Funk-d-fied
03-14-2007, 09:57 AM
if it were proper it would be Texas, not TEXAS, right?

KL3
03-14-2007, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
That is the million dollar question.

Do you have any idea why or are you and injuredinmelee trying to reach here?

Why would A&M envy UT? We beat them in football, and now have the higher ranked basketball and baseball team.

Phil C
03-14-2007, 09:59 AM
Phil- try this. I am not to sure but here it is.

http://www.texasonline.state.tx.us/NASApp/tamu/ODEManager

Thank you. I will check it in the fall when I need to take a conference. I go to one at UT but would also like to take one at College Station if they have one.

pirate4state
if it were proper it would be Texas, not TEXAS, right?

Probably.

KL3
So now mods have the right to go in and edit posts that hurt their feelings talking about their favorite college team?

Funk-d-fied
03-14-2007, 10:02 AM
exactly. I guess if they don't like a post about their team, they reserve the right to change a post without notification which I think is a little much. Sorry P4S, I didn't know you had that right and I didn't mean to hurt your feelings, just patrol all threads better and make all changes on similiar things not just on "tu" things, I can't imagine you would only do that when it comes to your personal favorite teams....

Ranger Mom
03-14-2007, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by KL3
So now mods have the right to go in and edit posts that hurt their feelings talking about their favorite college team?

I didn't change it initially, but I just edited it so this argument can just GO AWAY!!:rolleyes:

pirate4state
03-14-2007, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by KL3

Good grief. He didn't hurt my feelings, but I guess I've hurt your feelings by changing a post from t.u. to TEXAS. :rolleyes:

Ranger Mom
03-14-2007, 10:04 AM
Ya know...the "mods" didn't change it...one mod did.

Don't lump us all together when you are whining about one!

LH Panther Mom
03-14-2007, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by KL3
So now mods have the right to go in and edit posts that hurt their feelings talking about their favorite college team? I'm not a fan of either. :p I'm thinking if a Longhorn fan had posted the original poll with M&A instead, there would be some :bigcry: going on, though. ;)

Funk-d-fied
03-14-2007, 10:06 AM
No, were pointing P4S out, it's not about feelings hurt, a line was crossed and you know it. I didn't know that posts could be changed without nitification on the basis of favoritism. It's just amazing.

pirate4state
03-14-2007, 10:07 AM
exactly. I guess if they don't like a post about their team, they reserve the right to change a post without notification which I think is a little much.

I don't own the Texas Longhorns therefore they are not MY team. Do I root for them? Yes.

Do I think it is silly when A&M fans or anyone who doesn't like Texas refers to them at t.u? YES!

If you feel that strongly about it send Matthew328 and/or Sinton66 a PM.

Ranger Mom
Good grief. He didn't hurt my feelings, but I guess I've hurt your feelings by changing a post from t.u. to TEXAS. :rolleyes:

I guess my question is this:

If a person can change the original post from "Texas" to "tu"...then what does it matter if someone else changes it from "tu" to "TEXAS"?

Is it the fact that a mod can do it where the others can't?

In the scheme of things, isn't this just about the silliest argument ever??:p :p

Funk-d-fied
And they do post things like that, have those been changed by P4S? I am pretty sure they were not changed in the past....

pirate4state
03-14-2007, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
I'm not a fan of either. :p I'm thinking if a Longhorn fan had posted the original poll with M&A instead, there would be some :bigcry: going on, though. ;)

You're right, there would have. I would have changed that too. That's the point --- it is all STUPID!!!

Funk-d-fied
03-14-2007, 10:09 AM
tu, wait a few minutes and I will fix this one......

pirate4state
03-14-2007, 10:11 AM
And they do post things like that, have those been changed by P4S? I am pretty sure they were not changed in the past....

I've only been a mod since December. Go find a post where someone referred to A&M as M&A or whatever after I became a mod. I haven't seen one, but if they are out then I'll change them.

Funk-d-fied
03-14-2007, 10:11 AM
I don't have a problem with you changing it, I don't see where you felt the need to change "tu", to "TEXAS". Isn't the whole point of changing it the first time to stop it right there, then you feel the need to put it in all CAPS. If some people feel "tu" is offensive, maybe others might feel like "TEXAS" is as well?

piratebg
03-14-2007, 10:13 AM
Why to these college threads always turn into cage matches? It's amazing how quick people grow balls and challenge the mods when it comes to this stuff. :rolleyes:

Maroon87
Ya'll just need to quit crying and get over yourselves. Believe it or not, there are people here that really don't give a rat's ass one way or the other.

pirate4state
I don't have a problem with you changing it, I don't see where you felt the need to change "tu", to "TEXAS". Isn't the whole point of changing it the first time to stop it right there, then you feel the need to put it in all CAPS. If some people feel "tu" is offensive, maybe others might feel like "TEXAS" is as well?

You could have fooled me!! Just a few posts up you are spouting about favoritism.

Just how you felt the need to type tu instead of Texas.

Snyder_TigerFan
This is amusing!

piratebg
03-14-2007, 10:14 AM
Can someome pass me a beer and some beef jerkey? :D

Ranger Mom
03-14-2007, 10:16 AM
I wonder how long before this one gets locked down too!!

It's a pity!!

pirate4state
03-14-2007, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
I wonder how long before this one gets locked down too!!

It's a pity!!

Oh no, we can't have that then I'd be accused of abusing my power. :rolleyes:

GMAB!!

Ranger Mom
03-14-2007, 10:18 AM
Oh no, we can't have that then I'd be accused of abusing my power. :rolleyes:

GMAB!!

Oh well...I may just do it myself!!:p :p

Funk-d-fied
03-14-2007, 10:19 AM
They all do.. Mods are never wrong, there is some balls for you.

pirate4state
Oh well...I may just do it myself!!:p :p

ROFL! Be my guest. You may want to check with funk-da-fied first.

Txbroadcaster
And this shows why we cant have good Texas vs A&M debates

piratebg
03-14-2007, 10:20 AM
Here's a good question. I always here TU and teasips, but what some other names the Aggies get called? Discuss....:D

Phil C
03-14-2007, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by KL3

Let's be politically correct there KL3!

Maroon87
03-14-2007, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
And this shows why we cant have good Texas vs A&M debates

No...we can't have MATURE UT/A&M debates.:mad:

Txbroadcaster
03-14-2007, 10:21 AM
No...we can't have MATURE UT/A&M debates.:mad:

I was just wording it in a nice way is all

pirate4state
03-14-2007, 10:22 AM
I was just wording it in a nice way is all

Quit being PC

pirate4state
03-14-2007, 10:23 AM
They all do.. Mods are never wrong, there is some balls for you.

Abusing my power would be ROM'ing you for pissing me off!

piratebg
03-14-2007, 10:26 AM
Abusing my power would be ROM'ing you for pissing me off!

Do it

Do it

:p

LH Panther Mom
03-14-2007, 10:29 AM
Ya'll just need to quit crying and get over yourselves. Believe it or not, there are people here that really don't give a rat's ass one way or the other. I'd be one of them. :D

Originally posted by piratebg
Can someome pass me a beer and some beef jerkey? :D Will this do? http://www.buzzlife.com/forums/images/smilies/popcorn2.gif

Txbroadcaster
03-14-2007, 10:33 AM
I am sorry..But this utterly STUPID and POINTLESS. Why cant respect be given for BOTH team's fans? Yes we know A&M fans like to call Texas TU..Why cant on the boards they just respect the schoo and call them UT or the Horns or Texas..Just like Texas fan's can respect the Aggies by not calling them Aggys.

IMO that is where most threads go downhill in regards to the two schools, when the fun little namecalling begins..Like friggin 3rd graders

LH Panther Mom
03-14-2007, 11:00 AM
Why cant respect be given for BOTH team's fans? Why cant on the boards they just respect the school ? I could retire if I knew the answer to that one....$$$$$$$$$$$.

piratebg
03-14-2007, 11:05 AM
Why cant respect be given for BOTH team's fans?

Everyone loves the drama, plain and simple. It's fun and annoying at the same time.

Txbroadcaster
03-14-2007, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by piratebg
Everyone loves the drama, plain and simple. It's fun and annoying at the same time.

IMO it happens when someone has no other valid points so they just turn to name calling

Ranger Mom
03-14-2007, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
I could retire if I knew the answer to that one....$$$$$$$$$$$.

I think my problem with this is because I think it's funny, I can't get all bent out of shape about it, but the people who do make me laugh!!

It's hard to take it serious, for myself anyway.

Heck, I changed the TEXAS back to "Texas"....and tried to make it burnt orange, but couldnt find the right color, so I just left it alone.

I just thought after all the argument about it going from tu to TEXAS to Texas, it would have been funny to have it back in it's original spelling, but the only one that had it's school color.

Maybe I just have a warped sense of humor!!

LH Panther Mom
03-14-2007, 11:08 AM
Maybe I just have a warped sense of humor!! Which would be one of the reasons we get along so well. :evillol: :evillol: :evillol:

piratebg
03-14-2007, 11:08 AM
IMO it happens when someone has no other valid points so they just turn to name calling

Oh yeah!?!?! Well, your feet stink and you walk like a duck, pretty boy. :D

pirate4state
03-14-2007, 11:11 AM
I think my problem with this is because I think it's funny, I can't get all bent out of shape about it, but the people who do make me laugh!!

It's hard to take it serious, for myself anyway.

Heck, I changed the TEXAS back to "Texas"....and tried to make it burnt orange, but couldnt find the right color, so I just left it alone.

I just thought after all the argument about it going from tu to TEXAS to Texas, it would have been funny to have it back in it's original spelling, but the only one that had it's school color.

Maybe I just have a warped sense of humor!!

It is funny to a certain extent. When it's the same people doing these things over & over it becomes annoying.

Having the Texas in burnt orange would have been hysterical and added ALOT more drama.

HOOK 'EM <-------- I think that is the closest to burnt orange as your gonna get.

Ranger Mom
03-14-2007, 11:15 AM
It is funny to a certain extent. When it's the same people doing these things over & over it becomes annoying.

Having the Texas in burnt orange would have been hysterical and added ALOT more drama.

HOOK 'EM <-------- I think that is the closest to burnt orange as your gonna get.

Dang it...that would have worked too. It looked different on the the color chart thing....maybe because it was on a lighter background.