PDA

View Full Version : Sinton 9 Falfurrias 1

GWOOD
03-14-2007, 08:37 AM
I've been waiting for someone from Sinton to post this.

Good win Pirates!

piratebg
03-14-2007, 08:38 AM
I had posted this on the Fal/Sinton game thread earlier this morning, but I guess I can do it again.

Pirates prove their meddle
Huge second lifts Sinton to win over Fal

By JAVIER BECERRA Caller-Times
March 14, 2007

ROBSTOWN - The Sinton baseball team waited eight months for Tuesday night's non-district rematch against rival Falfurrias.

Although the stakes were much greater the last time the two teams played, the Pirates wanted revenge.

Matt Villarreal finished with three hits and three RBI, including a two-run homer, to help the Pirates past the Jerseys 9-1 at Fairgrounds Field. The victory doesn't make up for last year's loss to Falfurrias (11-3 overall) in the Region IV-3A finals, but gave the Pirates (20-4) a small sense of redemption.

"Everybody on the team wanted to win after what happened last year," Villarreal said. "We just knew we had to come out and play ball like we always do."

Sinton coach Gene Kasprzyk said the past had nothing to do with Tuesday's win.

"There wasn't any talk about last year," he said. "Right now we're just trying to become the best baseball team we can be."

Falfurrias swept Sinton 3-2 and 8-6 in the best-of-3 series to advance to the state tournament in Round Rock. The Jerseys defeated Abilene Wylie 5-2 in the semifinals before losing to Texarkana Liberty-Eylau 2-1 in the championship game.

On Tuesday, the Pirates were in control from start to finish.

Sinton let loose its offense in the top of the second, unloading for six runs on five hits and two Falfurrias errors.

Anthony Trevino led off with a single and advanced to second when shortstop Mario Ramirez misplayed a grounder by Andres Alaniz. Shane Segovia then walked to load the bases.

Cody Espinoza's sacrifice fly to center drove in Trevino and moved Alaniz to third. Villarreal followed with a base hit to score Alaniz and give the Pirates a 2-0 lead.

Segovia stopped at second on Villarreal's base hit, but moved to third on a passed ball. He later scored on an RBI single by Justin Moreno, who eventually scored along with Robert Dunlap on Josh Rodriguez's base hit up the middle.

Leading 6-0, Sinton didn't let up.

With two outs and Espinoza on first in the top of the third, Villarreal lifted a shot to deep left field. The ball carried in the wind long enough to clear the wall.

Rodriguez drove in another run in the sixth when he scored Moreno with a sacrifice fly to left, pushing the Pirates out to a 9-1 lead.

"We've been working on trying to be more aggressive at the plate," Kasprzyk said. "We've been thinking too much at the plate and looking at too many pitches."

Falfurrias coach David Salinas fully expects the Jerseys to rebound from the loss.

"We didn't make some routine plays we usually make and hit everything right at them," Salinas said. "You have to give them credit. They played well and we didn't, but we learn from it and move on.

"We just wanted to see where we're at against what we think is the best 3A team in this area. Hopefully we get another chance at them down the road."

Contact Javier Becerra at 886-3734 or becerraj@ caller.com

GWOOD
03-14-2007, 08:41 AM
Whoops, My bad. I was looking for the post at 7:00 am this morning and then @ 8:30 and I didn't see it either time.

Actually, I never really wake up until 9:00 am. Time for a Diet Coke.

SintonFan_inAustin
03-14-2007, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by GWOOD
I've been waiting for someone from Sinton to post this.

Good win Pirates! there was the Sinton vs Fal thread :)

maroonpirate04
03-14-2007, 02:28 PM
CONGRATS PIRATES ON YOUR VICTORY:clap: :clap: :clap:

http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/8045/piratespostereb9.jpg

VICTORY IS OURS IN 2007!!!