PDA

View Full Version : Texas 1969 National Champions in Football

Phil C
03-12-2007, 03:25 PM
UT had it all in 1969. Great offense, great defense, and great depth. Even when they lost their top defensive lineman they had adequate replacements. They were led by QB James Street and besides Street they had several backs that were capable of breaking the long one plus some good receivers. Their defense was great and gave them good field position. It was a great team indeed. Major upsets still happened but at this time they were much rarer. Good teams were usually beaten by other good teams. It looked like Ohio State was going to get the MNC that year but when Ohio State got upset by Michigan it opened the door for UT and they went on in. The following happened:

First they beat California 17 to 0 in California.

Then they beat Texas Tech who had beat them the year before 49 to 7.

A rematch with Navy followed but alas Navy didn't have Roger so UT won easily 57 to 17.

The first test was against No. 8 Oklahoma but the Longhorns won a tough game thanks to a fourth quarter turnover by the score 27 to 17.

Rice came into the game mad but UT pulled it off 31 to 0.

SMU was the next victim 45 to 14.

Baylor fell to the Longhorns next 56 to 14.

TCU was next as UT won 69 to 7.

By the next game Ohio State had fallen and UT took advantage to beat the Aggies 49 to 12.

Then the big shootout at No. 2 Arkansas that UT won 15 to 14.

Now established as No. 1 UT had to face Notre Dame who was rated No. 8 but coming into their first bowl game in 45 years. Penn State was the first choice for the Cotton Bowl and it would have been great because they had a perfect record but they choose to go have fun in the sun. :(

In a great game UT came from behind to win 21 to 17. Trailing 17 to 14 UT made their last march. They had a fourth down at about the 20 and decided to go for the win. Ted Koy (I think) made 2 yards and by inches made the first town. They had another fourth and two at about the ten and Street threw a pass that Cotton Speyerer (spelling?) had to dive and made the catch at about the two giving UT the first down. Billy Dale went in for the score and put UT ahead. ND still made a drive at the end but an interception killed it and gave UT the win and the MNC.

A great year indeed.

Txbroadcaster
03-12-2007, 03:27 PM
Last all white team to win a NC

IHStangFan
03-12-2007, 03:34 PM
uuuuhhhg...enough w/ the UT 19__ (insert years past here) National Championchip posts....I think this makes...what...5 or 6 of the same post now eh Phil? :p

Phil C
03-12-2007, 03:37 PM
I have included the TCU and A&M MNCs too. This is important history that must be preserved somehow.

Adidas410s
03-12-2007, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
I have included the TCU and A&M MNCs too. This is important history that must be preserved somehow.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Could we get one on the TTU Women's thump thump NC team that was lead by Sherryl Swoops?

Phil C
03-12-2007, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Could we get one on the TTU Women's thump thump NC team that was lead by Sherryl Swoops?

Certainly as soon as I can dig up information. I was mainly concerned with football but that is important indeed.

IHStangFan
03-12-2007, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
I have included the TCU and A&M MNCs too. This is important history that must be preserved somehow. LOL, you crack me up Phil, always enjoy your posts. Join me everyone in saying......

Here's to Phil (CHEERS)...the Savior and Messiah of early to mid 20th century College national championships!!! HERE HERE!!

;)

LH Panther Mom
03-12-2007, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
Could we get one on the TTU Women's thump thump NC team that was lead by Sherryl Swoops? Heck, I still have my t-shirt that the LAJ made with the front page picture & headline on it. I'm pretty sure we have a set of trading cards of the team as well.