PDA

View Full Version : Upsets to watch out for in the tournament

eagles_victory
03-12-2007, 02:12 PM
This is for first round games now keep in mind im not saying there going to happen but these lower seeds are dangerous and could cause problems

Long Beach St. vs Tennessee: I think Tennessee is a really good team with some great players... however Long Beach can put points up with anyone in the country. The Big West were LBSU came from is a little down due to the departure of Utah St. but still a very capable and strong league to come from. Im pretty sure im going to pick Tennessee on my bracket but wouldnt be shocked to see LBSU pull it out.... keep in mind theres a 5 12 upset every year

Virginia vs Albany

Virginia was ousted in the first round of their conference tournament so there not coming in on much of a high note. While UVA's strong backcourt is going to make them very though in the tournament this could be a trap game. The Great Danes of Albany almost did the unthinkable last year and became the first 16 to upset a 1. They led UConn with 10 minutes left and only lost by 13. I saw Albany beat Vermont on Saturday which was a pretty impressive win even if Vermonts last possession was the ugliest thing ive ever seen on a basketball court. Plus a few years back an American East team pulled an upset in a 4 vs 13 game so its not completely unheard of. Ill still go with UVA though

Texas vs New Mexico State

This one is highly unlikely and as a Texas fan i surely dont want to see it happen. Most likely texas is just going to be too much for NMSU but New Mexico State is very talented Reggie Theus has this team playing great basketball and they are very athletic and could hang with texas for at least a half. Another thing to consider is how much Texas struggled Friday night in the first round of the Big 12 tourney vs Baylor they cant afford another half like the first half that night in this tournament. But all in all I think Texas will be fine and I really hope they win for two reasons 1. im a huge fan 2. Reggie Theus is about the biggest jerk in coaching ive seen... he wasnt like that on hangtime

Old Dominion vs Butler

As I said earlier a 12 usually beats a 5 every year so this could be another example of that. ODU has had a very solid team the last few years. Butler has been struggling lately imo there only were there at bc the run they made in the preseason NIT. A team that cant win the Horizon regular season or tournament shouldnt be a number 5 seed in the big dance. Old Dominion reminds me so much of last years George Mason team. Both from the Colonial Conference both lost out in the conference semi finals and both were teams that most people said shouldnt be in the tournament and another team from the Colonial should be in a head of them last year Hofstra over George Mason this year Drexel over Old Dominion

Maryland vs Davidson:

Davidson always has a pretty solid team.. they have struggled against some of there bigger competition this year but there record is outstanding. Maryland is a team to me that seems to be a little bit overrated. I understand there from the ACC and beat Duke twice and North Carolina once but i dont know if there in line for a 4 seed being they flammed out in the ACC tournament the way that they did. Watch out for Stephon Curry the freshman from Davidson hes the best mid major freshman in the country. Hes the son of Dell Curry former NBA player and Virginia tech star. He is a great 3 point shooter who could give Maryland major problems

I forgot to put this one the first time but

Oral Roberts vs Washington State

Washington State has been a very good team all year. But most of the time you see upsets in the tournament are win upstarts get in with a high seed and really dont know how to handle the atmosphere of the tournament. This is a very rare case of when the 14 seed has more tournament experience then the 3 seed. Oral Roberts has some veteran players who can really score some points keep in mind these guys hung with Memphis for a half last year in a 1 16 game and also upset the Kansas Jayhawks in Kansas this year. If the can handle Derek Lowe and the other good guards for Washington State they will have a shot at this thing

Just a few things to consider before feeling out your bracket.... and i was really bored

Gobbla2001
03-12-2007, 02:21 PM
I have Old Dominion over Butler in the first round...