PDA

View Full Version : Ruling on offensive foul

Emerson1
03-11-2007, 05:19 PM
Can someone explain to me the rules on offensive fouls? I am really unsure of how they work after todays game. At 6:04 in the second half when Mario Chalmers drove in and got an offensive foul, they gave him the points for the basket. The score prior to that was KU 63 - TX 60. After that it was KU 65 - TX 60. I always thought that if the offensive player committed a foul during the drive, the basket would not count. I actually looked at the play by play on ESPN to make sure I didn't miss this. That 2 points proved very costly if it should not have counted in my opinion.

Here is the play by play that is on ESPN currently.

6:50 60-63 Sherron Collins missed Two Point Layup.
6:50 Damion James Defensive Rebound. 60-63
6:04 60-65 Mario Chalmers made Two Point Jumper.
6:04 60-65 Foul on Mario Chalmers
6:04 D.J. Augustin made Free Throw. 61-65
6:04 D.J. Augustin made Free Throw. 62-65

I copied this from another site, but wasn't sure of the answer.

Gsquared
03-11-2007, 05:35 PM
Here is the answer to any question about basketball. Everything that is called a foul in basketball is called because the sport is gay and a product of the devil. I have a hard time watching a sport where lighting someone up is illegal and I cant stand to see someone beg to get a free throw. Man I miss football.

kaorder1999
03-11-2007, 06:12 PM
i have seen an offensive foul called after the shot was attempted. If he was driving and shot the ball and then continued to plow over a defensive player then he can still be credited with the points

g$$
03-11-2007, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
i have seen an offensive foul called after the shot was attempted. If he was driving and shot the ball and then continued to plow over a defensive player then he can still be credited with the points

Very seldom called anymore, but the rule is this: if the referee rules the contact came after the ball was released, the points can be awarded. That is what happened with Chalmers, thus the points to Kansas. It is called a player-control foul, etc.

If Texas makes more free throws down the stretch, they win. I know Texas missed 5 big ones when it mattered most.

Seedings are all fair with Kansas a #1, A&M a #3 due to tourney loss, Texas a #4, & Tech a #10. K-State has an argument though, but oh well.