PDA

View Full Version : Regarding Recruiting

Phil C
01-23-2004, 10:48 AM
I once read sometime in the 60s where a recruting coach (I don't remember who) told a young recruit that the main factor in his decision regarding where he went to college should be that he likes the school. He told the kid that the fact that he liked the coaches and other factors could change due to the coaches getting other jobs, etc. So he said that his decision should be mainly based on whether he liked the school and the location. What do the rest of you think?

PPHSfan
01-23-2004, 11:02 AM
Seems I remember reading that too, but I thought it was in "Friday Night Lights" in the early 90's, not 1960. I could be wrong though.

Number Two
01-23-2004, 11:08 AM
I would say you better like the school and the programs offered.
What are the stats on HS kids making it to the BIGS, less than 2% or something like that, and once they make it the avg career is 3 or less years...
So, once again, you better like the school and programs.
Or heck, go where they offer the most scholarship $$$$$$$

Z motion 10 out on 2
01-23-2004, 11:32 AM
Some things that I have learned so far in the recruiting process:

1) Division II schools only have 36 scholarships to give out, so they woo your son and hope that he will come to their school without a scholarship. "We will try and get him one the next year" they say.

2) Kids with parents of low income are attractive to the college coaches because they qualify for federal grants and they don't have to use a scholarship on them.

3) Your son is probably not as good as you think he is and better than the coaches think his is.

4) It is a blast to make official visits, because they treat your son like a star.

5) It is a stressful process knowing that a 17 year old will make such an important step in deciding his future.

6) You have to trust in God to make it happen.

7) Most likely your son will be red shirted his freshman year and get beat up on all week by the upperclassmen in practice and never see the playing field. Go Rudy!

8) The process is business and should not be taken personal.

My son still has 3 visits left to go, but by now it seems that all the offers are made and the universities are getting responses. Looks like we are a second tier player and we probably will not get a scholarship offer. That does take some pressure off because he can now really examine the rosters of the programs, look at who has the least amount of underclassman at his position and make a decision where he thinks he has the best shot at making it.

One last thing: it very depressing watching your son’s disappointment in not getting an offer. Especially when you know that he could be a contributor. That is the sad thing; on the other hand if your son does get an offer, I'm sure that would be very exciting.

BrahmaMom
01-23-2004, 02:01 PM
z motion: you are soooo right. It is a tough lesson for these young men to learn, excruciating for their parents. The financial aid aspect is alive and well, folks. Your son will have numerous offers as a preferred walk-on. Happiness is a key, they have to be happy where they end up. So many of the best fits "feel right". Wish there was more advice for folks going through the process. Good luck!

dawgdad
01-23-2004, 10:20 PM
Z motion 10 out on 2:
Some things that I have learned so far in the recruiting process:

1) Division II schools only have 36 scholarships to give out, so they woo your son and hope that he will come to their school without a scholarship. "We will try and get him one the next year" they say.

2) Kids with parents of low income are attractive to the college coaches because they qualify for federal grants and they don't have to use a scholarship on them.

3) Your son is probably not as good as you think he is and better than the coaches think his is.

4) It is a blast to make official visits, because they treat your son like a star.

5) It is a stressful process knowing that a 17 year old will make such an important step in deciding his future.

6) You have to trust in God to make it happen.

7) Most likely your son will be red shirted his freshman year and get beat up on all week by the upperclassmen in practice and never see the playing field. Go Rudy!

8) The process is business and should not be taken personal.

My son still has 3 visits left to go, but by now it seems that all the offers are made and the universities are getting responses. Looks like we are a second tier player and we probably will not get a scholarship offer. That does take some pressure off because he can now really examine the rosters of the programs, look at who has the least amount of underclassman at his position and make a decision where he thinks he has the best shot at making it.

One last thing: it very depressing watching your son’s disappointment in not getting an offer. Especially when you know that he could be a contributor. That is the sad thing; on the other hand if your son does get an offer, I'm sure that would be very exciting.The disappointments are hard to take- I don't know who they are harder on,the parent or the child. For us,I'm glad that all this is over and am so grateful that we were able to find a school that fit our son. He made the decision,but it was not based solely on the football. The education that an athlete can get while basically getting paid to go to school has to be understood by the athlete,too. Only a small percentage of even high school players get to play D-1 ball,let alone professionally. Football is the means to an ends- a great education. I also think that a kid should like the school, too. Keeps his mind on studying and concentrating on school and not being homesick. If the coaching staff changes like most do every few years,it's not a problem to adapt if the student feels at home.

noitall
01-23-2004, 11:20 PM
I could imagine how tough it is for these kids who have high expectations and things not working out like they had hoped. They need to be told that this scholarship business is not an exact science. Probably lots of kids deserving of one, but ending up empty handed and lots of kids for one reason or another who did recieve one and maybe shouldn't have. Kinda like picking all-stars when these kids were smaller. So much of this stuff is political.

BrahmaMom
01-24-2004, 01:45 PM
Not so much political as business. Letters and calls are cheap, when it comes down to $100,000+ in scholarship $$, it becomes all business. As to who it's harder on, kids or parents, it becomes a bond for both before they leave home--being on the same team, win and lose.

Z motion 10 out on 2
01-24-2004, 03:22 PM
BrahmaMom:
Not so much political as business. Letters and calls are cheap, when it comes down to $100,000+ in scholarship $$, it becomes all business. As to who it's harder on, kids or parents, it becomes a bond for both before they leave home--being on the same team, win and lose.I agree with you BrahmaMom! Just a note, my son and I just got back from a great visit to Hardin - Simmons. NCAA D3 school with no athletic scholarships, but one heck of a football program. They also have a JV program so my son could play his freshman year. They have won or shared 9 of the last 11 conference championships. Don't you know they were proud of the football display for the prospects with all those rings out there for the kids to try on. Sold me anyway, I hope my son feels the same, but no matter we are on the same team.

wildstangs
01-24-2004, 04:15 PM
HSU is a good school and has a heck of a football program. I think Keeling is about 90 years old, but he gets the job done. I am thinking about transfering over there myself.

BrahmaMom
01-24-2004, 05:28 PM
I've heard great things about the Hardin-Simmons program and school. And it shouldn't ALL be about $$! It's about getting an education and coming out a better person--sounds like they do a good job of that there.

CatsDen
01-25-2004, 10:50 AM
My son has also been on the "visit trail" for the past month. He has pretty much made his decision, but will still be visiting 3 more schools over the next couple of weeks. I can tell you that he made me most proud when he told me that he did not feel comfortable with one coach's integrity (the topic of money and "freinds of the program" came up while on a recent visit). I was proud to know that he made such an insightful and mature observation, and to know that he was bothered by questionable ethics. It is a very grueling process that has worn on us both. We drove for nearly 2000 miles over a 4 day period on one of his visit "rounds". We ate some terrible meals and paid way to much for hotels, but I would never trade the time I spent with him. I try to enjoy the opportunity to be included in such a tremendous decision in my son's life, and I trust that he will make the best decision possible. He will most likely play DIII or possibly NAIA football. He has sat through so many phone calls and read through so many letters, but the visits are without a doubt the most influential part of his decision. Location is important to him, but the opportunity for playing time, the players on the team, the team's record and past performance, the coaching staff, and the team's playing style (run vs. pass, various formations, etc) are usually how he measures the schools.

Old Tiger
01-25-2004, 03:53 PM
I agree, with the way college coaches lose there jobs these days, you just gotta go with the school you would feel more comfortable at.

dawgdad
01-25-2004, 10:18 PM
CatsDen=has your son gotten any official offers for full scholarship? If not and he likes a particular school,maybe he could walk on. Football status as a school is one thing,but education is what it is all about.

Keith7
01-25-2004, 10:45 PM
if you read the story i submitted about Darcel McBath, there is alot of interesting stuff about recruiting thru his eyes

Keith7
01-25-2004, 10:47 PM
Last year when i was a senior, i wanted to play Baseball, but the only schools that showed much interest were D-3 schools, but they dont offer scholarships

sahen
01-26-2004, 12:52 AM
well..all upeople looking at schools all i say is look at Baylor...we r dying to get a winning program here and we have a new coach...being our talent level was pretty low before he came i wouuld think your kid would get to play before he would on any other D1 school....he would get to play in the Big XII which is always a plus...the school contrary to belief now has a good Christian atmosphere and has been that way for a long time (the murder stuff over the summer was a freak deal and they r really cleaning all that crap up)....not to mention the school is known for its academics....i understand this school isnt for everyone but just take a look, ur kid might be shocked and find out they like it...who knows? Coach Moriss is known for recruiting the talent that is under the radar and not on the "top 100" list and turning them into a winner...

Phil C
01-26-2004, 09:54 AM
That is a good point Sahen. There is lots of talent there that doesn't get noticed. One college coach on a recruiting trip was quoted as saying to another coach "You take the top 40 players in the state and I take the rest. I'll beat you."