PDA

View Full Version : Extra-Terrestrial Life

Bullaholic
03-09-2007, 11:48 AM
We've tackled a lot of other "big" issues, so i thought I would throw out the question of the existence of extra-terrestrial life. Is there an E.T out there somewhere?

Personally, I believe that it almost a mathematical impossibility for life not to exist somewhere else other than on earth because of the vast numbers of stellar bodies that exist. We are now beginning to explore the possibility of earth-like planets orbiting the suns of distant galaxies. We have found gas-giant type planets around these suns, so the next step will be the discovery of smaller bodies similar to earth. If conditions of these earth-like planets are even remotely similar to our own, the liklihood of the existence of life is almost a certainty.

Black_Magic
03-09-2007, 11:52 AM
Silly question .. Of course ETs are real.:rolleyes:
http://us.movies1.yimg.com/movies.yahoo.com/images/hv/photo/movie_pix/universal_pictures/e_t__the_extra_terrestrial/et.jpg

sweetwater07
03-09-2007, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
We've tackled a lot of other "big" issues, so i thought I would throw out the question of the existence of extra-terrestrial life. Is there an E.T out there somewhere?

Personally, I believe that it almost a mathematical impossibility for life not to exist somewhere else other than on earth because of the vast numbers of stellar bodies that exist. We are now beginning to explore the possibility of earth-like planets orbiting the suns of distant galaxies. We have found gas-giant type planets around these suns, so the next step will be the discovery of smaller bodies similar to earth. If conditions of these earth-like planets are even remotely similar to our own, the liklihood of the existence of life is almost a certainty.

i think about like you do...we are one planet in one galaxy of who knows how many of each..its kind of self centered and conceided to say that we are the only planet that can sustain life....

BuffyMars
03-09-2007, 12:21 PM
Ditto.

Ranger Mom
03-09-2007, 12:53 PM
I've never given any of this a whole lot of thought...but have read several books that were based in "parallel universes"...and I have always thought that was interesting.

JJ7997
03-09-2007, 12:56 PM
While I cant say its a comforting thought, they may be out there. Who dont love E.T. BTW ?

Ranger Mom
03-09-2007, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by JJ7997
While I cant say its a comforting thought, they may be out there. Who dont love E.T. BTW ?

There was another movie that kind of reminded me of ET at one time....except this ET family ended the movie taking their US Citizenship pledge.

Anyone remember what the name of that movie was???:thinking: :thinking:

JJ7997
03-09-2007, 01:00 PM
You got me....

Gsquared
03-09-2007, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
I've never given any of this a whole lot of thought...but have read several books that were based in "parallel universes"...and I have always thought that was interesting.
Speaking of Parallel universes, you should read more about the String Theory, kind of a theory based on quantum mechanics and the theory of relativity, combined into one. Really strange stuff.

smustangs
03-09-2007, 01:22 PM
There was another movie that kind of reminded me of ET at one time....except this ET family ended the movie taking their US Citizenship pledge.

Anyone remember what the name of that movie was???:thinking: :thinking:

I may sound dumb been forever seen i have seen it but was it Cone heads? if not that was still a great movie

SintonFan
03-09-2007, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by Gsquared
Speaking of Parallel universes, you should read more about the String Theory, kind of a theory based on quantum mechanics and the theory of relativity, combined into one. Really strange stuff.
I love talking about this kind of stuff. Have you seen "What the bleep do we know"?
Fun stuff, indeed.:nerd:

Keith7
03-09-2007, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
Have you seen "What the bleep do we know"?

oh no i'm not too fond of that movie or the string theory, because one of my friends seems to like to explain this movie, and the string theory to any and everyone when he has had alittle too much to drink.. i could prolly quote the entire movie though I have yet to see it

piratebg
03-09-2007, 01:46 PM
Aliens are real and they are probably watching us right now. :twitch:

AP Panther Fan
03-09-2007, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by smustangs
I may sound dumb been forever seen i have seen it but was it Cone heads? if not that was still a great movie

Sounds like the ConeHeads to me too! I loved that movie and everytime I hear the song "Tainted Love" it reminds me of it. :D

Back to subject....I believe!

pirate4state
03-09-2007, 02:18 PM

It's not nice to talk about G2 on any day, but especially not on his birthday!! :p :D

oh and I do believe there could be others among us :nerd:

Bullaholic
03-09-2007, 02:24 PM
I love sci-fi. I grew up watching all of the "B" sci-fi classics of the late 50's and early 60's. A few favs:

Original Star Trek TV series, starring Denny Crain and the guy with the pointy ears.

"Forbidden Planet"

"Earth vs the Flying Saucers"

"The Day the Earth Stood Still"

"Them"

"The Thing"

AP Panther Fan
03-09-2007, 02:28 PM
My husband last night kept flipping back and forth between American Idol and the old movie "Fire in the Sky" about alien abduction.

Men and their remotes really irritate me.:nerd:

piratebg
03-09-2007, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
My husband last night kept flipping back and forth between American Idol and the old movie "Fire in the Sky" about alien abduction.

I finally got my wife to see the movie "Fire in the Sky" and it gave year nightmares. :D

Bullaholic
03-09-2007, 02:29 PM

Well, be irritated, but don't you dare touch it or he will have to throw it away and get a new one, plus punish you accordingly. :D

AP Panther Fan
03-09-2007, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by piratebg
I finally got my wife to see the movie "Fire in the Sky" and it gave year nightmares. :D

lol...you're evil:D

AP Panther Fan
03-09-2007, 02:31 PM
Well, be irritated, but don't you dare touch it or he will have to throw it away and get a new one, plus punish you accordingly. :D

ha ha ha...now that's funny...you "all" are big, spoiled babies though :p

Ranger Mom
03-09-2007, 02:32 PM
Sounds like the ConeHeads to me too! I loved that movie and everytime I hear the song "Tainted Love" it reminds me of it. :D

Back to subject....I believe!

The movie I am talking about wasn't the coneheads.

Some little ET looking thing and his family had crashed and the little alien was trying to get help for them. At the end of the movie they finally find the alien family and they all become US citizens. (Is the making of wind turbines out of straws on ET?? If not, that is what is going on in this movie, to give a clue to where the family is)!

It seems like it was a one name title and it was the aliens name, for some reason the letter "M" sticks in my mind as the beginning letter.

This is going to drive me nuts now....and it's not even THAT great of a movie.....GRRRRRR!!!!!

pirate4state
03-09-2007, 02:34 PM
The movie I am talking about wasn't the coneheads.

Some little ET looking thing and his family had crashed and the little alien was trying to get help for them. At the end of the movie they finally find the alien family and they all become US citizens. (Is the making of wind turbines out of straws on ET?? If not, that is what is going on in this movie, to give a clue to where the family is)!

It seems like it was a one name title and it was the aliens name, for some reason the letter "M" sticks in my mind as the beginning letter.

This is going to drive me nuts now....and it's not even THAT great of a movie.....GRRRRRR!!!!!

Is this the movie (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0095560/) ??

Ranger Mom
03-09-2007, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
Is this the movie (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0095560/) ??

YES!!!

Thank you....you are officially my Hero today!!!:D :D :D

Bullaholic
03-09-2007, 02:36 PM
ha ha ha...now that's funny...you "all" are big, spoiled babies though :p

AP---my wife says she can't stand "2-second TV" while I'm channel surfing, so she usually ends up watching on one of the other TV's. Once I hid in another room and pointed my remote around the corner at the TV she was watching and started changing channels (same brand of TV in at least 3 rooms). After about the 5th time she yelled at me to come fix the TV. I told her that the Lord was monitoring what she was watching and was sending her a message. The only "message" I received was her shoe in the back of my head. :D

pirate4state
03-09-2007, 02:37 PM
YES!!!

Thank you....you are officially my Hero today!!!:D :D :D

:) :) :) :) :) :) :)

pirate4state
03-09-2007, 02:38 PM
AP---my wife says she can't stand "2-second TV" while I'm channel surfing, so she usually ends up watching on one of the other TV's. Once I hid in another room and pointed my remote around the corner at the TV she was watching and started changing channels (same brand of TV in at least 3 rooms). After about the 5th time she yelled at me to come fix the TV. I told her that the Lord was monitoring what she was watching and was sending her a message. The only "message" I received was her shoe in the back of my head. :D

LOL! That's great!!

piratebg
03-09-2007, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
:) :) :) :) :) :) :)

All you need is a cape and some leather boots that go up just below the knee and you are set. :p

AP Panther Fan
03-09-2007, 02:47 PM

ROFL....hilarious!:evillol: :evillol: :evillol:

Let me ask you this...do you have a special chair at the table and a special spot on the sofa that is "off limits" to anyone else?

Bullaholic
03-09-2007, 03:01 PM
ROFL....hilarious!:evillol: :evillol: :evillol:

Let me ask you this...do you have a special chair at the table and a special spot on the sofa that is "off limits" to anyone else?

My chair at the table and in the den are my "thrones" and the remote is my "sceptre". Does that answer your question?

AP Panther Fan
03-09-2007, 03:32 PM
My chair at the table and in the den are my "thrones" and the remote is my "sceptre". Does that answer your question?

Good Lord, you are all alike...disturbing news indeed! :doh: ;)

garageoffice
03-09-2007, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
I love talking about this kind of stuff. Have you seen "What the bleep do we know"?

Haven't seen that one, but I've seen "The Coneheads" AND "Earth Girls are Easy"

:D :D

KTA
03-09-2007, 04:59 PM
I believe that it almost a mathematical impossibility for life not to exist somewhere else other than on earth because of the vast numbers of stellar bodies that exist

I agree, ive also seen to many things in the night sky not to believe. Id go into detail but yall would prolly just think im crazy(er)

bulldogman06
03-09-2007, 05:14 PM
I think Aliens are probably real, but since we cant do anything about it right now, why worry?