PDA

View Full Version : Students get to help choose cheerleaders in Highland Park...

kaorder1999
03-09-2007, 10:15 AM
Students get voice on cheerleaders

HP: Vote carries weight in tryout process, a rarity now

06:04 AM CST on Friday, March 9, 2007
By KRISTEN HOLLAND / The Dallas Morning News
kholland@dallasnews.com

Andrea Pond raced about 20 feet across the gymnasium Thursday before catapulting into a back handspring with a twist. The crowd erupted in applause as soon as the 16-year-old's white striped sneakers landed back on the hardwood floor.

Though at times the competition in the school gym was tense, the Highland Park sophomore wasn't vying for a trophy. She was demonstrating to her classmates why they should award her something much more ethereal: a spot on Highland Park's varsity cheerleading squad.

That students have any say in who gets to flip, kick and jump on the sidelines is almost unheard of in North Texas. Of 30 other area districts surveyed, only Irving gives students some say-so in the process.

Richardson axed student votes last spring, in favor of giving judges all the power. Irving ISD still allows them, but MacArthur, Nimitz and Irving high schools have eliminated the tradition anyway.

Several cheerleading experts said they're surprised schools still use student votes. Though cheerleaders were once selected almost entirely by students, the practice has died as the sport has become more athletic, with girls required to perform complex dance routines and stunts to make a squad.

The student vote at Highland Park High accounts for 30 percent of a candidate's total score. The judges' score is worth 70 percent.

"Cheerleading is an athletic activity which requires more skills than just being popular," said Donna McKay, past president of the Iowa Cheerleading Coaches Association. "Coaches of other sports don't let students choose their squads/teams."

Richardson doesn't require any specific moves, but varsity candidates at Carroll Senior High in Southlake must complete a standing back handspring or standing back tuck, plus a round-off with three back handsprings to even make it to the second day of tryouts.

Cecil McDaniel, the executive director of secondary operations and student services for Richardson schools, said an advantage to using only judges' scores is that everyone begins on a level playing field. "You're standing as an individual on your own," he said.

Brooke Ziegler, the mom of a freshman and varsity cheerleader at Richardson's Pearce High, said judges' scores are probably a truer indicator of talent but noted that high school students are savvy. "They don't vote for anybody who's not really worthy of it," she said.

Sherry Martinez, head cheerleading coach at Irving's MacArthur High, said using only judges' scores takes stress out of tryouts. She said some girls haven't tried out in past years because they were afraid of making a mistake in front of their peers and being booed.

"If the judges say they're good enough to be a cheerleader, then why bring it in front of the student body and have the girls that are perfectly capable of doing it be cut because of popularity," Ms. Martinez said.

Parent controversy and on-campus politicking can also be lessened when only judges' scores count, she said.

Mrs. Ziegler's daughter, Claire, has always tried out in front of the student body. She said it's less nerve-racking to be judged by her peers, but politics are involved.

"Everyone's definitely a little bit nicer a couple months before cheerleading tryouts," said Claire, a 17-year-old senior.

Popularity vote?

Having judges select cheerleaders also opens the process up to more girls – and guys, in some places – because judges can be more objective, said Natalie Adams, co-author of Cheerleader! An American Icon.

"When it was student body and it was just a popularity vote, it meant that a particular type of girl would make it," Dr. Adams said.

Several people who have worked at Highland Park for more than 30 years say students have always been involved in the selection process.

Highland Park mom Sherrie Gottsacker said school leaders and parents have oscillated for years about keeping the student vote and how much it should count. She said about six years ago, everybody wanted it to be 50/50. Another time, the school tried to change it to 90/10, but some mothers balked.

"It has been 80-20 before," she said

A balance

Mrs. Gottsacker's daughter, Mary Grace, 14, said she's glad her classmates can participate in the process.

"You're cheerleaders for the student body, so I think it is important for them to have a say in who makes it and who doesn't," said Mary Grace, a freshman cheerleader who tried out for the junior varsity squad during Thursday's tryout rally.

Amanda Breeden, Highland Park's cheerleading sponsor, said the school uses judges' evaluations and student votes to achieve a balance.

"The judges expertly assess the technical abilities, while the students provide input on which cheerleader candidates they think would inspire enthusiasm and best represent the student body," she said.

Though the number of schools with student votes is dwindling, there has been a backlash against relying solely on judges' scores. Some schools have started weighing grades and teacher recommendations.

The problem, Dr. Adams said, is judges can pick the best back tuck, but cheerleading is also about leadership, a difficult quality to score.

Highland Park junior Sydnee Solomon, 16, agreed. She said being a cheerleader isn't just about being able to land flips and twists. "It's if you're nice to people," she said before leaving the gym to cast her ballot.

Ranger Mom
03-09-2007, 10:17 AM
I think Greenwood's is 50% judges, 40% teachers and 10% student body!

kaorder1999
03-09-2007, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
I think Greenwood's is 50% judges, 40% teachers and 10% student body!

really? i had never heard of that before until this HP story!

pirate4state
03-09-2007, 10:21 AM
Just asking for trouble - LOL!

Ranger Mom
03-09-2007, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
really? i had never heard of that before until this HP story!

It used to be student body votes only! Which was nothing but a popularity contest then....and a disaster in the making.

It seems to work pretty well though now, we always seem to have a really good cheerleading squad!

kaorder1999
03-09-2007, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
Just asking for trouble - LOL!

decision makers are more and more pawning off their duties to others because they dont want to be criticized for the decisions they make....

Ranger Mom
03-09-2007, 10:26 AM
We had a couple of girls a few years back who were really really good cheerleaders, athletically speaking, but their attitudes were TERRIBLE!!!

The judges scored them very high, because they didn't know them from Adam, but the teachers and student body KNEW them, and scored them low....neither girl made it.

I don't think it should be 100% judges with no imput from the ones who know them. There are some girls who may be great, but just don't deserve it!!!

Adidas410s
03-09-2007, 10:26 AM
At Wylie we always had a vote. Now preliminary tryouts were conducted in front of just judges but students were allowed to vote on the final cut. I don't think that our vote counted more than 10-20% though. Oh well...cheerleaders in Wylie are largely ignored at sporting events.

Adidas410s
03-09-2007, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
We had a couple of girls a few years back who were really really good cheerleaders, athletically speaking, but their attitudes were TERRIBLE!!!

The judges scored them very high, because they didn't know them from Adam, but the teachers and student body KNEW them, and scored them low....neither girl made it.

I don't think it should be 100% judges with no imput from the ones who know them. There are some girls who may be great, but just don't deserve it!!!

I agree. The same thing happened in Graham with band last year. They used outside directors to decide on drum majors and their vote was the only vote. Well one of the girls that they chose is bi-polar and has since "flipped out" on many a fellow student. Not a pretty sight. :(

BuffyMars
03-09-2007, 10:33 AM
:foul::foul: Highland Park :foul::foul:

:flaming: :flaming:

pirate4state
03-09-2007, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
decision makers are more and more pawning off their duties to others because they dont want to be criticized for the decisions they make.... :weeping: :D

Adidas410s
03-09-2007, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by BuffyMars
:foul::foul: Highland Park :foul::foul:

:flaming: :flaming:

:bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry:

Phil C
03-09-2007, 10:54 AM
When I was in High School the student body elected the cheerleaders. I remember they auditioned in front of us. We did a good job of choosing good cheerleaders.

mwynn05
03-09-2007, 12:40 PM
Fairfield has done this for years

garageoffice
03-09-2007, 02:14 PM
Obviously, things have changed over the years. In my day, cheerleaders were selected by a combined vote of judges and student body. However, you have to remember that this was before the Title IX days so cheerleading wasn't a competitive athletic activity. It was FOR the student body. Their mission was to cheer on the teams and elicit support from the fans. Today, that is only a small (and sometimes forgotten) part of their role. Hence, selection is usually held to a higher standard.

Bull19
03-09-2007, 02:16 PM
BELLVILLE STUDENTS GET A SAY

piratebg
03-09-2007, 02:30 PM
I don't remember the students having a say when I was in school. I'm sure if they did, there would have been a couple of changes.

pirate4state
03-09-2007, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by piratebg
I don't remember the students having a say when I was in school. I'm sure if they did, there would have been a couple of changes.

I think we did. I vaguely remember doing this in JR High, but not 100% sure in HS. :thinking: Who cares anyway - no one pays any attention to them anyway.

piratebg
03-09-2007, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
I think we did. I vaguely remember doing this in JR High, but not 100% sure in HS. :thinking: Who cares anyway - no one pays any attention to them anyway.

:clap: :clap: :clap: Hate to say it, but it is true.