PDA

View Full Version : 300

DU_stud04
03-08-2007, 09:51 PM
tonight......is the night!!!! long time waiting for this one, i cant wait. the persian are going down!!!!!!! muahahahahahahaha :evil:

SintonFan
03-08-2007, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by DU_stud04
tonight......is the night!!!! long time waiting for this one, i cant wait. the persian are going down!!!!!!! muahahahahahahaha :evil:
We're thinking about seeing it Sunday since the kids will be out of town. It looks very interesting.:thinking:

mwynn05
03-08-2007, 10:11 PM
tonight......is the night!!!! long time waiting for this one, i cant wait. the persian are going down!!!!!!! muahahahahahahaha :evil: actually the persians win that battle....

DU_stud04
03-08-2007, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by mwynn05
actually the persians win that battle.... :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

TMer25
03-08-2007, 10:38 PM
Going to see this tomorrow night on the IMAX. Haven't been this excited for a movie in awhile

mwynn05
03-08-2007, 10:39 PM
I cant wait

IHStangFan
03-09-2007, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by mwynn05
actually the persians win that battle.... and its more like 1300, not 300....yes...300 of them are Spartans...but roughly 1000 men stay behind w/ the Spartans to fight. :nerd:

sahen
03-09-2007, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
and its more like 1300, not 300....yes...300 of them are Spartans...but roughly 1000 men stay behind w/ the Spartans to fight. :nerd: you watched the history channel last night too?

sweetwater07
03-09-2007, 11:14 AM
everyone quit ruining the movie..i'm off next weekend and i will be going to Abilene to watch it...been looking forward to this movie for a while!!

SintonFan
03-09-2007, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by sahen
you watched the history channel last night too?
lol
I saw that too!

bulldogman06
03-09-2007, 04:43 PM
Wow, wow, wow. I knew it was gonna be good, Im psychic, I must have ESPN or something.... haha, that movie was amazing. Anyone heard about the theory about the political implications of it?

Phil C
03-09-2007, 04:50 PM
Another movie version of this battle was also made in 1962 called The 300 Spartans with Richard Egan, Ralph Richardson and Diane Baker. It is going to be on the Fox Movie Channel on Monday March 19 at 5 A.M. It is worth watching too.

vet93
03-09-2007, 04:58 PM
The theory where the Persians represent America Or
The one where the Spartans represent America. Some have argued on either side....

Originally posted by bulldogman06
Wow, wow, wow. I knew it was gonna be good, Im psychic, I must have ESPN or something.... haha, that movie was amazing. Anyone heard about the theory about the political implications of it?

bulldogman06
03-09-2007, 05:11 PM
the one I saw said King Leonidas was Bush, taking a few troops over to rid the world of an evil god-king (different religion), while the rest of sparta(america) sits back and does nothing. also, notice the spartans were white and the persians, brown. the theory sounds like it could be correct. but the movie was good either way

thewyliefan
03-09-2007, 08:13 PM
i saw this movie at about 430....and it was the greatest thing ive ever seen

SintonFan
03-09-2007, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by thewyliefan
i saw this movie at about 430....and it was the greatest thing ive ever seen
lol
Really?:eek:

VanKampen
03-10-2007, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by bulldogman06
the one I saw said King Leonidas was Bush, taking a few troops over to rid the world of an evil god-king (different religion), while the rest of sparta(america) sits back and does nothing. also, notice the spartans were white and the persians, brown. the theory sounds like it could be correct. but the movie was good either way

spartans were white and persians were brown. if some idiots knew anything about history there would be no debate. considering this movie is based off a graphic novel written long before this war, i dont see why anyone can make that connection.

Phil C
03-10-2007, 09:04 PM
Don't forget to write SPOILER WARNING! at the top of your post in case you give away anything about a movie that might spoil it for someone who hasn't seen it yet.

The 1962 version is worth watching if you haven't seen it and I have posted when it is coming to tv before.

SPOILER WARNING! Don't read any more if you haven't seen this movie.

The thing is that even though the Spartans lost the battle and their lives it inspired Greece to unite and later defeat the Persians.

DU_stud04
03-10-2007, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by VanKampen
spartans were white and persians were brown. if some idiots knew anything about history there would be no debate. considering this movie is based off a graphic novel written long before this war, i dont see why anyone can make that connection. but they arent mexican brown..... dont get them mixed up....somehow brown colors from different races(ie. paki, indian, spanish, (insert other brown race), are all different types of browns....and they are all better than the others.... dont ask me, it just is.

and spartans are greek, predominantly white.

and i too cant see how people cant see the connection.

except my persian friends, they said it was nothing like that.....they were not satisfied with the movie....muahahaha

and yes, they are brown too(but a different brown)

:)

DU_stud04
03-10-2007, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
Don't forget to write SPOILER WARNING! at the top of your post in case you give away anything about a movie that might spoil it for someone who hasn't seen it yet.

The 1962 version is worth watching if you haven't seen it and I have posted when it is coming to tv before.

SPOILER WARNING! Don't read any more if you haven't seen this movie.

The thing is that even though the Spartans lost the battle and their lives it inspired Greece to unite and later defeat the Persians. im sorry phil.... but ignorance from history doesnt lax me any, and it shouldnt be a spoiler to the movie. its almost like asking dont tell me what happened in the alamo because you dont want to spoil the ending

even though im kinda sure your using sarcasm as you usually do, this is a post to the others.

theyoefnshow
03-11-2007, 08:35 PM
Well though I did skip work Friday, I didn't see it until a few hours ago. Movie was AWESOME. Blood, boobs and decapitations. What else do you really need? lol

The violence was spectacular but not as gory as I read it was going to be. The part that amazes me the most is that this cast was basically a bunch of unknowns and they have done an amazing job. Kinda like the original Star Wars. Many from this flick could go on to have pretty solid Hollywood careers.

It also inspired me to do more situps because pretty much every character has a six pack that could reflect bullets (but not arrows!)

Only thing I was sad about was that the kickin CGI Rhino didn't play as much of a part as I hoped it would but it served it's purpose! GO WATCH IT NOW!!!!

turbostud
03-11-2007, 08:57 PM
Just saw this movie. It was great. Kinda shorter than I expected but a great movie.

VanKampen
03-11-2007, 10:17 PM
it made $70 million this weekend. i guess that can be explained because the movie has sooo much homosexuality throughout it and i guess this is just the gay american community supporting their gayness. at least thats how all the idiot reviewers who said it sucked will explain all the money its raking in.

DU_stud04
03-11-2007, 10:17 PM
The ancient battle of Thermopylae was the stuff of 2007's first certified blockbuster as the bloody action tale "300" debuted with ticket sales of $70 million over its opening weekend, according to studio estimates Sunday.

The total for "300" includes $3.4 million from 62 IMAX theaters, a record opening weekend for the large-screen format.

read more here (http://movies.yahoo.com/mv/news/ap/20070311/117366288000.html;_ylt=Ajs0iW7MUJMwEf4F1KOiW8JfVXc A)

DU_stud04
03-11-2007, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by turbostud
Just saw this movie. It was great. Kinda shorter than I expected but a great movie. did you want a 3 hour movie? haha, it barley excaped the 2 hour mark by 3 minutes.....

watching it felt like time stopped, time didnt matter to me, i couldnt get enough of the movie.

theyoefnshow
03-11-2007, 10:46 PM
it made $70 million this weekend. i guess that can be explained because the movie has sooo much homosexuality throughout it and i guess this is just the gay american community supporting their gayness. at least thats how all the idiot reviewers who said it sucked will explain all the money its raking in.

what are you talking about? It was expected to bring in $50 million + and all reviewers have given it positive reviews. Same thing in case for Return of the King. Talk about homo themes (end scenes w/ Sam & Frodo) but it was still highly rated.

I didn't really catch any homosexuality in it (other than the main villian who is friggin Paulo in LOST!!) but if you talk about Troy....that's a bit different....

VanKampen
03-12-2007, 09:39 AM
www.rottentomatoes.com

go to that site. its at 60% positive reviews. cream of the crop(USA Today, New York Times, Los Angeles Post, etc) is like 53%. its been getting a lot of bad reviews from movie reviewers. i dont know who the everyone your talking about is but most people believed 40-50 million. i believe 70 million far surpasses that considering its rated R.

AP Panther Fan
03-12-2007, 09:56 AM
My son saw 300 this weekend and says he will add it to his list of favorites....personally, I don't like beheadings and other graphic acts of violence ....so I won't be seeing it.:)

Txbroadcaster
03-12-2007, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
My son saw 300 this weekend and says he will add it to his list of favorites....personally, I don't like beheadings and other graphic acts of violence ....so I won't be seeing it.:)

It honestly is NOWHERE near as graphic as it is being touted. It is IMO a great mix of fighting and showing wounds without it becoming reptitive or trying to out do itself with blood and guts

BuffyMars
03-12-2007, 10:14 AM
Hard to believe the lead guy who played Leonitus played Dracula in Dracula 2000. Terry and I thought we had seen the last of him after that performance.

But he totally redeemed himself with this one! He MADE that movie! It was greatness, despite the topless girls that looked like they should have been on the cover of National Geographic if you catch my drift....(You 40-Year Old Virgin lovers will get it ;) )

Oh! And the gratuitous butt shot could not have been more obvious. It made me laugh out loud. :evillol:

Phil C
03-12-2007, 10:34 AM

TAKE A CHANCE!!

:mad:

AP Panther Fan
03-12-2007, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
It honestly is NOWHERE near as graphic as it is being touted. It is IMO a great mix of fighting and showing wounds without it becoming reptitive or trying to out do itself with blood and guts

I will probably wait unit it comes out on video, that way I can fast forward through the parts I don't care to see rather than having to close my eyes in the theater.:cool:

Txbroadcaster
03-12-2007, 10:37 AM
I will probably wait unit it comes out on video, that way I can fast forward through the parts I don't care to see rather than having to close my eyes in the theater.:cool:

LOL might not be able to catch them..they happen REAL fast.plus IMO this is one of those HAVE to see in movies because of the way it looks on screen

DU_stud04
03-12-2007, 10:55 AM
I will probably wait unit it comes out on video, that way I can fast forward through the parts I don't care to see rather than having to close my eyes in the theater.:cool: your really missin out.

AP Panther Fan
03-12-2007, 11:10 AM
your really missin out.

I'll probably get brave and give it a try, but when it comes out on video.

I am pretty much a cheapskate when it comes to movie theaters. Might be different if I could sneak off and go by myself, but it always ends up being me + 4 or 5 others between the ages of 10 - 15.

big daddy russ
03-12-2007, 12:43 PM
www.rottentomatoes.com

go to that site. its at 60% positive reviews. cream of the crop(USA Today, New York Times, Los Angeles Post, etc) is like 53%. its been getting a lot of bad reviews from movie reviewers. i dont know who the everyone your talking about is but most people believed 40-50 million. i believe 70 million far surpasses that considering its rated R.
This is a better website of reviews to check out. (http://www.fandango.com/MovieReviewPage.aspx?mlp_tab=user&from=movielanding&sort=3&mid=98249&source=np_title&mode=0) Most critics have wildly different tastes than your average moviegoer, so here's what actual, everyday moviegoers had to say about it.

Some examples: MI-3 had horrible reviews. So did The Matrix.

Unfortunately, most critics fail to include what I like to call the "Entertainment Factor" in their ratings and get caught up in the artsiness and originality of a movie (and this one was actually original). Personally, I'd rather be entertained than go to an art show, but that's just me. Well, me and most of the rest of America.

Personally, I absolutely loved the movie. So did the other 15 people (roughly) that I've talked to about it. Some were the three people that went with me, some were just people in line at the movie theater, and some were other friends (actually, there were five of them) that told me to drop everything I was doing and go see it.

The movie is just so good (read: entertaining, not necessarily artsy, doesn't have an underlying message, etc) that it was hard not to like. I typically don't like epics that were just thrown together like this one. They're usually formulaic and fairly predictable, but this one was different. The bad guys actually seemed like they'd be a challenge (hear that, Gladiator?) and the movie didn't drag at all for the sake of character development. It was able to tie everything together as the movie went along and not cut away from the action for too long.

There's my critical review of the movie. Get back to me in a month to see if it had staying power with me and I'm not just on a "temporary high," but as of right now it's my second-favorite movie ever. (Beat out Top Gun, the Matrix, High Plains Drifter, Super Troopers, Dodgeball, and a few others, but it'll be tough for anyone to replace Van Wilder at the top.)

If you were to ask me to give it a rating, I'd tell you to drop everything that you were doing and go see it this minute. The movie was even better than the tremendous hype and I haven't talked to a single person that didn't like the movie. Four stars.:D

theyoefnshow
03-12-2007, 02:29 PM
oh stop bein such a Mary and watch th movie! Check out the Yahoo! reviews. overall with critics I think it got a B plus.

icu812
03-12-2007, 03:58 PM
October 11, 2006
History and the Movie “300”
by Victor Davis Hanson

The phrase “300 Spartans” evokes not only the ancient battle of Thermopylae, but also the larger idea of fighting for freedom against all odds — a notion subsequently to be enshrined through some 2500 years of Western civilization.

Even today we remember the power of the Spartans’ defiance. “Come and take them,” they tell the Persian emissaries who demand their arms. “Then we will fight in the shade,” the Spartans boast when warned that the horde of Persian arrows will soon blot out the very sunlight. “Go tell the Spartans that here we lie obedient to their commands” the tombstone of their dead reads.

In 480, an enormous force of more than a quarter-million Persians under their King Xerxes invaded Greece, both to enslave the free city-states, and to avenge the Persian defeat a decade earlier at Marathon. The huge force of ships and soldiers proved unstoppable on its way west and southward until it reached the narrow pass at Thermopylae (“The Warm Gates”) in northern Greece. There a collection of 7,000 Greeks had blocked the way. They hoped to stop Xerxes’ horde outright — or at least allow enough time for their fellow countrymen to their rear to mobilize a sufficient defense of the homeland.

Among the many Greek contingents was a special elite force of 300 Spartans under their King Leonidas — a spearhead that offered the other Greeks at Thermopylae some promise that they could still bar the advance of the vastly superior invader. And that hope proved real for two days of hard fighting. The vastly outnumbered, but heavily-armed Greek infantrymen in their phalanx — taking advantage of the narrow terrain and their massed tactics — savagely beat back wave after wave of advancing Persian foot soldiers and cavalry.

But on the third day of battle, Leonidas’s Greeks were betrayed by a local shepherd Ephialtes, who showed the Persians an alternate route over the mountains that led to the rear of the Greek position. When he realized that he was nearly surrounded, Leonidas nevertheless made a critical decision to stay and fight, while ordering most of the other various allies to flee the encirclement to organize the growing Greek resistance to the south.

Meanwhile the King and his doomed 300 Spartans, together with other small groups of surrounded Thespians and Thebans, would indeed battle to buy the Greeks time. They ranged further out from the pass on this third and last day of battle — at first with spears and swords, finally with teeth and nails —killing scores more of Persians. The last few Spartan survivors were buried under a sea of Persian arrows. The body of Leonidas was found among the corpses, his head soon impaled on a stick as a macabre reminder of the wages of resistance to the Great King of Persia.

The Greeks took encouragement from the unprecedented sacrifice of a Spartan King and his royal guard on their behalf. And so a few weeks later at the sea battle of Salamis near Athens — and then again the next year at the great infantry collision on the plains of Plataea — the Greeks defeated, and eventually destroyed, the Persian invaders. The rallying cry of the victors was Thermopylae, the noble sacrifice of the final stand of the outnumbered Greeks, and especially the courage of the fallen Three Hundred Spartans under King Leonidas.

So almost immediately, contemporary Greeks saw Thermopylae as a critical moral and culture lesson. In universal terms, a small, free people had willingly outfought huge numbers of imperial subjects who advanced under the lash. More specifically, the Western idea that soldiers themselves decide where, how, and against whom they will fight was contrasted against the Eastern notion of despotism and monarchy — freedom proving the stronger idea as the more courageous fighting of the Greeks at Thermopylae, and their later victories at Salamis and Plataea attested.

Greek writers and poets such as Simonides and Herodotus were fascinated by the Greek sacrifice against Xerxes, and especially the heroism of Leonidas and his men. And subsequently throughout Western literature poets as diverse as Lord Byron and A.E. Houseman have likewise paid homage to the Spartan last stand — and this universal idea of Western soldiers willing to die as free men rather than to submit to tyranny. Steven Pressfield’s novel Gates of Fire and the earlier Hollywood movie The 300 Spartans both were based on the Greek defense of the pass at Thermopylae.

Recently, a variety of Hollywood films — from Troy to Alexander the Great — has treated a variety of themes from classical Greek literature and theater. But 300 is unique, a sui generis in both spirit and methodology. The script is not an attempt in typical Hollywood fashion to recreate the past as a costume drama. Instead it is based on Frank Miller’s (of Sin City fame) comic book graphics and captions. Miller’s illustrated novelette of the battle adapts themes loosely from the well-known story of the Greek defense, but with deference made to the tastes of contemporary popular culture.

So the film is indeed inspired by the comic book; and in some sense its muscular warriors, virtual reality sets, and computer-generated landscapes recall the look and feel of Robert Rodriquez’s screen version of Sin City. Yet the collaboration of Director Zack Snyder and screenwriters Kurt Johnstad and Michael Gordon is much more of a hybrid, since the script, dialogue, cinematography, and acting all recall scenes of the battle right from Herodotus’s account.

300, of course, makes plenty of allowance for popular tastes, changing and expanding the story to meet the protocols of the comic book genre. The film was not shot on location outdoors, but in a studio using the so-called “digital backlot” technique of sometimes placing the actors against blue screens. The resulting realism is not that of the sun-soaked cliffs above the blue Aegean — Thermopylae remains spectacularly beautiful today — but of the eerie etchings of the comic book.

The Spartans fight bare-chested without armor, in the “heroic nude” manner that ancient Greek vase-painters portrayed Greek hoplites, their muscles bulging as if they were contemporary comic book action heroes. Again, following the Miller comic, artistic license is made with the original story — the traitor Ephialtes is as deformed in body as he is in character; King Xerxes is not bearded and perched on a distant throne, but bald, huge, perhaps sexually ambiguous, and often right on the battlefield. The Persians bring with them exotic beasts like a rhinoceros and elephant, and the leader of the Immortals fights Leonidas in a duel (which the Greeks knew as monomachia). Shields are metal rather than wood with bronze veneers, and swords sometimes look futuristic rather than ancient.

Again, purists must remember that 300 seeks to bring a comic book, not Herodotus, to the screen. Yet, despite the need to adhere to the conventions of Frank Miller’s graphics and plot — every bit as formalized as the protocols of classical Athenian drama or Japanese Kabuki theater — the main story from our ancient Greek historians is still there: Leonidas, against domestic opposition, insists on sending an immediate advance party northward on a suicide mission to rouse the Greeks and allow them time to unite a defense. Once at Thermopylae, he adopts the defenses to the narrow pass between high cliffs and the sea far below. The Greeks fight both en masse in the phalanx and at times range beyond as solo warriors. They are finally betrayed by Ephialtes, forcing Leonidas to dismiss his allies — and leaving his own 300 to the fate of dying under a sea of arrows.

But most importantly, 300 preserves the spirit of the Thermopylae story. The Spartans, quoting lines known from Herodotus and themes from the lyric poets, profess unswerving loyalty to a free Greece. They will never kow-tow to the Persians, preferring to die on their feet than live on their knees.

If critics think that 300 reduces and simplifies the meaning of Thermopylae into freedom versus tyranny, they should reread carefully ancient accounts and then blame Herodotus, Plutarch, and Diodorus — who long ago boasted that Greek freedom was on trial against Persian autocracy, free men in superior fashion dying for their liberty, their enslaved enemies being whipped to enslave others.

Emerson1
03-12-2007, 08:22 PM
This movie is average.

DU_stud04
03-12-2007, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
This movie is average. run before you get stoned.:mad:

Emerson1
03-12-2007, 08:49 PM
It was wayyyyy to short. They should of added one last battle scene, and that being the last one. The story wasn't as good as those reviews make it out to be either.

theyoefnshow
03-13-2007, 10:36 AM
Bottom line, all i can say is if you're a man and don't like that movie, just mail your testicles back to the hospital right now. Or, write "testicles" on a 3x5 card and mail it to:

"Testicles"
PO Box 369
Walla Walla, Wa.

Phil C
03-13-2007, 01:55 PM
Iran is very unhappy with this movie.

http://www.yahoo.com/s/529672

DU_stud04
03-13-2007, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
Iran is very unhappy with this movie.

http://www.yahoo.com/s/529672 doesn't surprise me at all, from the reaction from the Persian girls i was with, i had a feeling they weren't the only ones that didn't like the portrayal.

Emerson1
03-13-2007, 02:13 PM
I didn't even know they had a connection....and I don't think people are gonna start hating iraqians because of this movie.

DU_stud04
03-13-2007, 02:16 PM
I didn't even know they had a connection....and I don't think people are gonna start hating iraqians because of this movie. why would they hate Iraqi's? had nothing to do with the movie...... (its Iran) :)

Emerson1
03-13-2007, 02:16 PM
It's all the same.

DU_stud04
03-13-2007, 02:20 PM
It's all the same. you stupid canadian....

theyoefnshow
03-13-2007, 02:25 PM
It's all the same.

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

what these dumbasses need to realize is that while it is based on history. this is a film from a man who based THIS MOVIE on his comics. if they don't like it, i'm sure Norbit is still showing over in the dunes.

just like the Jews in the Passion. had this movie not been so successful, nobody would have said a thing.

DU_stud04
07-29-2007, 01:12 PM
....... tuesday is almost here. im ready to get my hands on this dvd. :D :D :D :D :D

smustangs
07-29-2007, 07:47 PM
....... tuesday is almost here. im ready to get my hands on this dvd. :D :D :D :D :D

amen me too

piratebg
07-29-2007, 09:46 PM
Still haven't seen it yet. :dispntd:

Emerson1
07-29-2007, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by piratebg
Still haven't seen it yet. :dispntd:
On DVD Tuesday.

piratebg
07-29-2007, 09:48 PM
On DVD Tuesday.

Saw that and plan to rent it on Tuesday. :)

DU_stud04
07-29-2007, 10:08 PM
Saw that and plan to rent it on Tuesday. :) just buy it. skip the whole renting phase and buy this one.

smustangs
07-29-2007, 10:10 PM
just buy it. skip the whole renting phase and buy this one.

amen

Txbroadcaster
07-29-2007, 10:32 PM
Will be buying 300 and Hot Fuzz..both out same day

mustang04
07-30-2007, 06:59 PM
300 was freaking awesome...but dont get me wrong, i think Transformers is better...Transformers is one of the best movies i have seen in a long time

KTA
07-31-2007, 05:08 PM
300 was freaking awesome...but dont get me wrong, i think Transformers is better...Transformers is one of the best movies i have seen in a long time

:clap: my thoughts exactly

smustangs
07-31-2007, 05:09 PM
just got my copy and it came w/ alexander as well never seen it so ill kill two birds w/ one stone

piratebg
07-31-2007, 05:09 PM
I tried to rent it today, but they were out. Had to settle for Hot Fuzz only.

KTA
07-31-2007, 05:33 PM
I hate alexander, too long and....err whats the word im looking for (opposite of straight)

piratebg
07-31-2007, 05:34 PM
I heard the only reason to see Alexander was to get a look at Rosario Dawson's ta-tas. :D

pirate4state
07-31-2007, 07:24 PM
I tried to rent it today, but they were out. Had to settle for Hot Fuzz only. hahaha I rented that too!!! I also rented The Last Kiss

piratebg
07-31-2007, 07:38 PM
I swear I was there like 2hrs after they opened and every single copy was gone. I don't think they even tried to order enough.

DDBooger
07-31-2007, 07:56 PM
I heard the only reason to see Alexander was to get a look at Rosario Dawson's ta-tas. :D she has BOMBS

Buccaneer
07-31-2007, 08:38 PM
My copy was in my mailbox this morning. Bless Blockbuster Online!