PDA

View Full Version : Greenville Update Very Sad

burnet44
03-08-2007, 12:59 PM
10:05 PM CST on Wednesday, March 7, 2007
By RICHARD ABSHIRE / The Dallas Morning News
rabshire@dallasnews.com
A 16-year-old student fatally shot himself at Greenville High School before the start of classes Wednesday.
The shooting took place in an instrument storage room off the band hall about 7:15 a.m., according to officials in the district 50 miles northeast of downtown Dallas.

MIKE STONE / Special to DMN
Some parents picked up their students from Greenville High School after Wednesday's shooting. Superintendent Lloyd Graham said other students were in the band hall but not in the instrument room. None saw the shooting, but they heard a noise, found the student on the floor and thought he had fallen and hit his head, Mr. Graham said. An assistant principal and nurse who were summoned found the wound.
The student, whose name and grade weren't released, was taken to Presbyterian Hospital of Greenville, where he died before 8 a.m. Officials didn't say where he had gotten the handgun.
"Our prayers are with the child's family, both immediate and extended, here at school and throughout the community," Mr. Graham said.
About 100 parents rushed to the school as word of the shooting spread, resulting in an auto accident in front of the school that sent one person to a hospital with minor injuries, the Greenville Herald Banner reported.
Also Online
WFAA-TV's David Schechter reports
Boy shoots his ex, self near school District officials gave parents the option of letting their children go home, and the school closed early, at 1:30 p.m., because so many students had left, district spokesman Brad Press said.
Mr. Graham said counselors from Greenville and neighboring districts, as well as local ministers, were made available to students who needed them, and a school telephone line was to be staffed until 10 p.m. for counseling.
"We need our children to know they are in a safe and secure environment," Mr. Graham said.
Greenville High has about 1,200 ninth- through 12th-graders.

kaorder1999
03-08-2007, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by burnet44
10:05 PM CST on Wednesday, March 7, 2007
By RICHARD ABSHIRE / The Dallas Morning News
rabshire@dallasnews.com
]Boy shoots his ex, self near school District officials gave parents the option of letting their children go home, and the school closed early, at 1:30 p.m., because so many students had left, district spokesman Brad Press said.

boy shoots his ex?

txkmom
03-08-2007, 01:56 PM
He had a big breakup last week and tried to hurt himself then, a friend from Greenville told me. I guess he meant business, to try again a week later. So sad.
The other boy shot his girlfriend 4 times, her mother witnessed. Girl lived, boy died.

BTEXDAD
03-08-2007, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by txkmom
He had a big breakup last week and tried to hurt himself then, a friend from Greenville told me. I guess he meant business, to try again a week later. So sad.
The other boy shot his girlfriend 4 times, her mother witnessed. Girl lived, boy died.

I'm confused. There was a boy who shot ex girlfriend and self in Michigan.

Did the boy in Greenville, tx also shoot his ex girlfriend?

txkmom
03-08-2007, 02:30 PM
Sorry - 2 different events.
The boy in Greenville shot and killed himself at school in a storage room before school.
The other shooting (I'm not sure where) involved the girl being shot 4 times, and the boy killing himself.

BuffyMars
03-08-2007, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by txkmom
Sorry - 2 different events.
The boy in Greenville shot and killed himself at school in a storage room before school.
The other shooting (I'm not sure where) involved the girl being shot 4 times, and the boy killing himself.

I am confused now. :confused:

txkmom
03-08-2007, 03:27 PM
http://edition.cnn.com/2007/US/03/07/schoool.shooting.ap/index.html (http://http://edition.cnn.com/2007/US/03/07/schoool.shooting.ap/index.html)

CNN has both stories in one article

MIDLAND, Michigan (AP) -- A teenager shot his former girlfriend four times outside her high school, then killed himself in one of two fatal U.S. school shootings Wednesday, authorities said.

Jessica Forsyth, 17, was taken to Hurley Medical Center in Flint, where she was upgraded Wednesday evening to fair condition, hospital spokeswoman Christie White said.

Midland Police Chief James St. Louis said the gunman, identified as David Turner, 17, of nearby Coleman, died in the parking lot.

Turner had gone to H.H. Dow High School on Wednesday morning to try to talk to Jessica, but he was turned away by school officials, the police chief said. The boy then called her and asked her to meet him outside the building.

After a conversation in the parking lot, Turner pulled a gun out of a backpack and shot her four times before turning the gun on himself, St. Louis said.

The girl's mother, who had dropped her daughter off at the school, saw the shooting from her car and drove between the two to try to protect the girl, authorities said.

The school, about 100 miles northwest of Detroit, was locked down after the shooting. Dow High is named after the founder of chemical giant Dow Chemical Co. and has 1,500 students. No school activities were canceled.

"It's kind of confusing," said junior Cory Hearns, who was taking an economics exam at the time. "I don't know what to say about it. People didn't know what to think or what was going on."

In Greenville, Texas, a 16-year-old student fatally shot himself inside the band hall at Greenville High School, police said.

Police responded to the shooting about 15 minutes before the first bell, and the student was pronounced dead later at a hospital, Greenville city spokeswoman Lori Philyaw said in a statement.

The student's body was taken to the Dallas County medical examiner's office for an autopsy, Philyaw said.

Greenville is a city of about 26,000 residents about 45 miles northeast of Dallas. Greenville High has an enrollment of about 5,200 students.

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.