PDA

View Full Version : Texas Festivals

BuffyMars
03-07-2007, 04:18 PM
What Festivals are there in your hometown?

I know one of Marshall's festivals made it all the way to the Jay Leno show. They thought we were like FireAnt worshippers. :crazy1:

Marshall:

1. FireAnt Festival (Fall)
2. Stagecoach Days (Spring)
3. Wonderland of Lights (Christmas)

Rusk: I don't know all that well. Its a dead city, sadly I had to ask a co-worker what festivals they have in town cause I have lived there a year and could care less.

All I know is last year they had some kind festival that had to do with mudhogging downtown. Maybe part of the Redneck Rendezvous thingy.

They also have what is called Pioneer days and they have a Heritage Festival. (I have never been to any of them--nor do I plan on going--I guess I am partial to Marshall's festivals.)

Maroon87
03-07-2007, 04:21 PM
Bayfest in Corpus Christi, usually late September/early October and Buccaneer Days in April/May.

44INAROW
03-07-2007, 04:34 PM
Cuero TurkeyFest - 2nd weekend in October............ Also the DeWitt County Wildflower Tour is held in April........Christmas in the Park (Thanksgiving through New Years)

LH Panther Mom
03-07-2007, 04:36 PM
Springfest, maybe? :thinking: I think it's next month. (Yes, I do live here, but they've changed stuff.... :p )

A few miles away, there is "Oatmeal Days". (I don't know when)

44INAROW
03-07-2007, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom

A few miles away, there is "Oatmeal Days". (I don't know when)

is it hosted the the QUAKERS? :D :D :D

LH Panther Mom
03-07-2007, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
is it hosted the the QUAKERS? :D :D :D
ROFL! :clap: :D

BuffyMars
03-07-2007, 04:46 PM
I just love the crazy names they come up.

"Let's have a festival centered around corn, or pumpkins!"

I mean who came up with the Fire Ant Festival? lol.

We honestly have people dressed in these big fire ant costumes that have clothes on in May. I always feel bad for them cause I know they have to be burning up!

Txbroadcaster
03-07-2007, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by BuffyMars
I just love the crazy names they come up.

"Let's have a festival centered around corn, or pumpkins!"

I mean who came up with the Fire Ant Festival? lol.

We honestly have people dressed in these big fire ant costumes that have clothes on in May. I always feel bad for them cause I know they have to be burning up!

Ironic thing was when a Fire Ant Killer company was main sponsor

BuffyMars
03-07-2007, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Ironic thing was when a Fire Ant Killer company was main sponsor

ROFL!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Ahhhhh!! Marshall....can't say I miss it! :D

pirate4state
03-07-2007, 04:52 PM
Sinton used to have the Fiddler's Festival, but I don't know what the hell happened. The Chamber puts on something called Thunder in the Park in April, I think. :confused:

Txbroadcaster
03-07-2007, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by BuffyMars
ROFL!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Ahhhhh!! Marshall....can't say I miss it! :D

Yep

Welcome to Marshall where we celebrate an insect that literally drives East Texas crazy in the summer

Matthew328
03-07-2007, 04:56 PM
East TX is full of festivals...Athens had a few.....I know Gilmer has the yamboree...

Why does everyone in Rusk love hog hunting?? I had a buddy from there in college who loved hunting hogs....had some guys from Oak Cliff who were amazed that a black guy liked hunting hogs...funny stuff

There is a town in Oklahoma..cant remember the name now that has a watermelon festival...I'd like to check that out....I could eat watermelon for days...LOL

Funk-d-fied
03-07-2007, 05:02 PM
Big Bend Open Road Race in Fort Stockton April 25-28th.
The Most Challenging Open Road Race in the world.

85-200MPH
Car Show and parade
post race party

www.bborr.com

Txbroadcaster
03-08-2007, 10:47 AM
Jefferon has a couple..including a fun little Mardi Gras weekend.

pirate4state
03-08-2007, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by Matthew328
East TX is full of festivals...Athens had a few.....I know Gilmer has the yamboree...

Why does everyone in Rusk love hog hunting?? I had a buddy from there in college who loved hunting hogs....had some guys from Oak Cliff who were amazed that a black guy liked hunting hogs...funny stuff

There is a town in Oklahoma..cant remember the name now that has a watermelon festival...I'd like to check that out....I could eat watermelon for days...LOL

Stockdale, TX has a watermelon jubilee in June. I've always wanted to check that out.

pirate44
03-08-2007, 11:02 AM
can anyone explain to me why Fredericksburg has a Crawfish festival? :confused:

pirate4state
03-08-2007, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by pirate44
can anyone explain to me why Fredericksburg has a Crawfish festival? :confused: Is that in addition to the Peach festival or combined? :eek: :hairpunk:

pirate44
03-08-2007, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
Is that in addition to the Peach festival or combined? :eek: :hairpunk:
in addition. peach, i understand. but crawfish? my guess since it is such a tourist destiantion, its just a reason to bring more people to town. i notice the german influence in the town, but not the cajun.

pirate44
03-08-2007, 11:20 AM
Fredericksburg asctually has a bunch of festivals
http://www.tex-fest.com/

big daddy russ
03-08-2007, 12:17 PM
Ingleside Round Up Days
Aransas Pass Shrimporee
Portland Windfest
and, my personal favorite, the Swinney Switch Wild Hog Cookoff

stxfootballfan
03-08-2007, 12:39 PM
Spring ,TX- Crawfish Festival last 2 weekends of April

http://www.texascrawfishfestival.com/music_lineup.htm

Old Green
03-08-2007, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by Matthew328

There is a town in Oklahoma..cant remember the name now that has a watermelon festival...I'd like to check that out....I could eat watermelon for days...LOL We just had a big hog hunting contest here in Cuero about 3 weeks ago. and yes don't be surprised, a few of us do like to stick a hog or two:D :thumbsup:

underware
03-08-2007, 01:00 PM
Yoakum-
Last weekend Feb: Land of Leather
First weekend June: Tom-Tom

Matthew328
03-08-2007, 01:07 PM
its Rush Springs, OK that has the watermelon festival

Matthew328
03-08-2007, 01:22 PM
Athens has a black eyed pea festival and Uncle Fletch's Hamburger and BBQ Festival...you can get some good burgers there!

Paris has the festival of pumpkins

Gilmer has the yamboree

Palestine and Woodville both have dogwood festivals

Jacksonville has the tomato festival

Henderson has a syrup festival

Just a few

mustang04
03-08-2007, 01:24 PM
World's Largest Rattlesnake Roundup with carnival and flea market

Keith7
03-08-2007, 01:30 PM
My home town, Gainesville, has Depot days, but that has turned into a boring arts and crafts fair.. the king of all festivals is Germanfest in Muenster..