PDA

View Full Version : SNAKES ALIVE or the reason everyone is heading to Sweetwater for the weekend

Bubba-Joe
03-07-2007, 03:18 PM
Annual Round-Up kicks off Thursday
Written by Ben Barkley
It is never too early to begin thinking about the events at the Sweetwater Jaycees World’s Largest Rattlesnake Roundup.
The 49th annual Round-Up will be held March 9-11 at the Nolan County Coliseum complex, and several events will be held.
Once again, the Jaycees will sponsor the hunt for the most pounds and largest rattlesnake. The registration cost is $15 per person and $25 per team. All hunters must have a valid Texas snakehunter’s license to sell snakes to the Jaycees during the Round-Up.
Trophies and prize money will be awarded to the overall snake hunters based on the total pounds of Western Diamondback Rattlesnakes turned in to the Jaycees during the Round-Up weekend only.
The prize money includes $800 for first place, $700 for second place, $600 for third place, $500 for fourth place and $400 for fifth place.
The top five places will also receive a plaque.
An additional $400 will be paid to the person with the longest Western Diamondback Rattlesnake turned in to the Jaycees. A minimum of 100 pounds must be turned in to enter the “longest snake contest,” and it must be a Western Diamondback Rattlesnake.
There will be a $300 prize awarded for a Round-Up record breaker. The longest snake recorded in 2006 was 80 inches. The record is 84 inches.
Also during the Round-Up, visitors can sign up for a guided hunt. The cost is $75 per person, per day. This includes hunter registration.
Hunters are taken out on private ranch land during the weekend. This land is for Jaycee use only during the weekend.
Reservations for special Thursday guided hunts can be made by calling the Sweetwater Chamber of Commerce. Jaycee officials said the payment must accompany the reservation.
“For your convenience, snake hooks and tongs will be available for rental at hunter registration,” officials said.
Away from the snakes, the Jaycees will sponsor the 17th annual Brisket/Chili Cook-Off. The cook-off will be held Saturday, March 10, and is expected to draw more than 100 teams.
“This is a great event to go along with our Round-Up,” officials said. “You should see some of the greatest looking cooking pits and taste the superb entries.”
Entry fees are $125 for all categories, including rattlesnake; $25 for CASI chili only; and $25 for rattlesnake only. The rattlesnake meat will be provided.
CASI rules will be used for chili. WTBC rules will be used for brisket, ribs, chicken and the world champion rattlesnake meat.
Rattlesnake will be used as the tiebreaker in case of a tie.
In conjunction with the Round-Up, other groups hold fundraisers during the weekend.
The Sweetwater Rifle and Pistol Club will sponsor the 47th annual Gun, Knife and Coin Show. The show will be held in the annex building during the Round-Up weekend.
Collections and displays of rare guns, coins and knives will be available. Small, high quality related and western items are permitted. Admission for the show is $5.
The Sweetwater Lions Club will offer visitors a chance for two different flea markets — one next to the coliseum and an outside flea market across from the armory building. Vendors will offer everything from collectibles and gifts to food.
The Caprock Girl Scout Council will sponsor the 10th annual dessert contest and 13th annual salsa challenge. Both events will be held Saturday, March 10.
The guidelines for the contests include an entry fee of $10 per entry and the the entries are responsible for all supplies and ingredients.
Desserts and salsa should not be prepared prior to entry information is obtained. All desserts must be prepared on site (cook off locations may be used).
Desserts will be submitted by 3 p.m. in the containers provided. There should be at least six servings and winners will be announced at 5 p.m. The salsa must be submitted by 1 p.m. in two containers provided by officials. The winners will be announced by 5 p.m.
The dessert categories include cakes, cobblers, pies, miscellaneous desserts and best overall dessert.
The salsa categories are most unique, hottest, mildest, people’s choice and best overall salsa.

BuffyMars
03-07-2007, 03:21 PM
Weeee doggies!!

44INAROW
03-07-2007, 03:53 PM
snakes scare the crap out of me :eek: I can't believe I allowed our oldest son to have a Ball Python in the house when he was in high school...... I must have been out of my mind back then :rolleyes:

Bubba-Joe
03-07-2007, 04:03 PM
Ole Bubba has a couple of pet rattlers that I keep around the house
they are guard snakes
but no need to worry they only bite folks from snyder

stangGirl2007
03-07-2007, 04:05 PM
I can smell the fried food already:D Man I'm ready for friday! This is one of those times when it's ok to eat like it's thanksgiving:inlove:

Adidas410s
03-07-2007, 04:18 PM
Wade Bowen on Saturday...everybody enjoy! :)

stangGirl2007
03-07-2007, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
Wade Bowen on Saturday...everybody enjoy! :)
:mad: :mad: Thanks for reminding me.. I don't get to make it!

DaHop72
03-07-2007, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by Bubba-Joe
Ole Bubba has a couple of pet rattlers that I keep around the house
they are guard snakes
but no need to worry they only bite folks from snyder :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

DU_stud04
03-07-2007, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by DaHop72
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: i think your safe by birth ;)

DaHop72
03-08-2007, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by DU_stud04
i think your safe by birth ;) :D :D

Ranger Mom
03-08-2007, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by stangGirl2007
:mad: :mad: Thanks for reminding me.. I don't get to make it!

I wanted to go to the roundup on Friday and then the track meet. But after missing 3-1/2 days of work SO FAR:mad: :mad: with this stupid flu, I am afraid I will be playing catchup all next week.

CHS_CG
03-08-2007, 09:01 AM
I really wanted to go out there but I am in the same boat as RM, I took off last Friday, Monday and part of the day Tuesday and I am still playing catch up.:(

stangGirl2007
03-08-2007, 10:44 AM
Looks like we are all feeling bad:( I just left school becuase I don't feel so good. This might be the first year I don't make it out to the round-up. Well anyway.. I need to go lay down.. I have to go back to school later for a presentation I have to make today:(

sweetwater07
03-08-2007, 02:43 PM
only reason i like round-up is the food...other than that you have to know residential areas or backroads to get to anywhere you want to go....so much traffic and so many rednecks....i'm going to stay in Abilene for the weekend..lol

Bubba-Joe
03-08-2007, 03:27 PM
give it a look the rednecks have gotten on the world wide web
http://www.rattlesnakeroundup.net/
some neat stuff right there I tell ya

BILLYFRED0000
03-08-2007, 04:04 PM
It is that time of year. I have not been to that since the 70's. Of course in honor of the roundup we would usually round a few up in Bronte specially if they were holin up in the yard or close by. My dogs just did not like them rattlebugs.

BILLYFRED0000
03-08-2007, 04:05 PM
I have not seen a rattlebug since I moved to Celina. Must not be too many round these hyar parts.