PDA

View Full Version : DEFENSES dominate in Silsbee/Bridge City scrimmage.

Old Cardinal
08-23-2003, 12:37 PM
The scrimmage opened with 15 plays each. Silsbee could not garner a 1st down for 13 plays; then on a fumbled busted play their QB hit a split out about 55 yards downfield and they scored on the next play...On BCs 15 plays they moved to the Tiger 9 yard line exhausting their 15 plays, on the ground. On the next 12 plays sets, each team was unable to score....Next, during game simulation,it ended- one TD each for the two Varsity first teams; and when the 2nd teams played, Silsbee scored once to BCs none. I was surprised at Silsbee, they returned 8 or 9 of their defense from last season, and are quite good. They also returned, 7 from their rebuilding year, last year, on offense and should do well in the 20-4A District. BC was without (inside linebacker & QB), Hunter Hays;and (TB-free safety) Jon Landry; and Collin Briggs(inside linebacker)...I was particularly impressed with how Doug Carlton (6' 5", 235) at offensive Tackle was able to stand up to William Morrisey(6' 2", 295) All Stater from Silsbee. All, in all, it was a long hot defensive donimination battle; and both teams should have derived a lot from this scrimmage.

<small>[ August 23, 2003, 12:41 PM: Message edited by: Old Cardinal ]</small>

sphinx1906
08-23-2003, 12:53 PM
sounds like a pretty good scrimmage. OC what ever happened to the LB that won state in powerlifting last year? Did he go play ball somewhere? He is a good kid and I wish him the best.

Bobkat
08-23-2003, 01:04 PM
It was flat out HOT in Bridge City today. Hats off to the kids on the field, I was dying in the stands. Tell ya what I was impressed with Silsbee, they definetly have some weapons on both sides of the ball. Watch for them to make some noise in 20-4A. They had two touchdowns called back as well in the half of play, both long TD passes. Bridge City is very scrappy and they too like Orangefield have been hit with the injury bug early in the seaon. Bridge City is not as big in the trenches as they have been the last few years and if they have a weakness right now it's their offensive and defensive lines. Should be an interesting race in 21-3A.

<small>[ August 23, 2003, 01:05 PM: Message edited by: Bobkat ]</small>

Chief Woodman
08-24-2003, 11:31 AM
Defense dominates...or both offences stnk? It is always a matter of perspective.

xhardinhornet
08-24-2003, 12:02 PM
when everything is said and done, both bug city and orangeturf, will be mezmorized with hardin's run and gun offense, and 3/out defense, bleed blue and gold, the only colors that matter.....sure wish we could have played ya'll boys my senior year, like MAN.....
put the hurt on 'em hornets!!!!

X21AAAPlayer
08-24-2003, 12:54 PM
Hmmmmm I guess you dont recall the 42-0 thrashing BRIDGE City put on your hornets Last year? Look for BC and Orangefield to put a hurting on the hornets...

xhardinhornet
08-24-2003, 01:33 PM
I hear you out dude, I guess I feel that way because nobody gives Hardin the respect that it should. Four years in a row the Hornets have made the playoffs, and I just want them to do their best and give there all. Hats off to BC and Orangefield, although the Hornets should have beat the Bobcats last year, but shoulda,coulda,woulda...oh well, thats last year..how do you compare BC's team this year, to last years team?

exbccards76'smom
08-24-2003, 04:01 PM
It is a scrappy little team. We are young(only 7 seniors)and the big thing is who's gonna taking up the slack in place of Matt Peebles. I predict a tough season ahead, but we'll still do ok.

sphinx1906
08-24-2003, 05:51 PM
The more I hear on B.C. the more excited I get for the Newton/B.C. game.I know I have done my share of trash talking but I do have a little spot for B.C.. I hope they do well all year except for one game but I do respect what they are doing there. Old Card I will still talk trash when the two play but I do wish the cards the best Remember it is all in fun.good luck.

bccards
08-24-2003, 07:58 PM
As long as ya'll don't make 2 or 3 of our guys go out via Ambulance like last year, we'll be OK!! Just don't hurt our boys too much!! lol.. I'd love to see BC Tie up the series again, time will tell :) May Newton/BC and every athlete in the state have a SAFE SEASON!!

<small>[ August 24, 2003, 07:59 PM: Message edited by: bccards ]</small>

Old Cardinal
08-24-2003, 08:12 PM
Newton has the big guns this year for sure-BC has some good athletes but they are so young. If Newton is ever going to make it big, it's with the skilled athletes that they have now!

duckbutter
08-25-2003, 08:32 AM
This is the best team Newton has had in a long long time. Very explosive.

sphinx1906
08-25-2003, 08:34 AM
Newton has a few big guns but after watching the scrimmage vs. Ozen, their young kids looked pretty good also. Last year the B.C/Newton J.V. game was cancelled due to rain. I would like to have seen them match up. Probably would have been a good game.See ya on 9/19.

Old Cardinal
08-25-2003, 08:41 AM
I agree Duckbutter, those 18 Seniors with proven experience is just what Newton needs to sustain then in the rigors of Postseason. I am optimistic that you will prevail in Division II playoffs. Jasper/Newton should be interesting this year-I think you may win..You also had one good Sophomore that was all over the field on defense, last year. He tackles in true "classic" style, and should be a hoss this season.