PDA

View Full Version : Teen dead after shooting at Greenville HS

kaorder1999
03-07-2007, 10:35 AM
One dead after school shooting

STAFF REPORTS

GREENVILLE — A high school student has been pronounced dead by doctors this morning following a shooting at Greenville High School.

Witnesses have said the student, whose name has not been released, apparently entered the school’s band hall around 7:20 a.m. this morning and shot himself in front of several students.

The school is currently locked-down, and all parent and media inquiries are being directed to GISD district spokesman Brad Press, said a Greenville Police Department spokeswoman.

“Everything is under control at this time,” she said.

Press said the district will be releasing a statement later in the morning.

Stay tuned to heraldbanner.com for more information when it becomes available.

BuffyMars
03-07-2007, 10:37 AM
Holy crap!

GREENVILLE? :eek: :confused: :eek:

kaorder1999
03-07-2007, 10:38 AM
greenville has experienced some major problems over the last couple of years.

pirate4state
03-07-2007, 10:39 AM
OMG :( That's awful.

txkmom
03-07-2007, 10:39 AM
Wow, that's where I did some of my student teaching. Wonder if Scott Potter is still the principal there. Scary, scary, and close to home (my kids were all born in Greenville).

kaorder1999
03-07-2007, 10:43 AM
greenville is aboput to make some MAJOR changes. All educational positions will have to interview for their jobs this Spring.

Txbroadcaster
03-07-2007, 10:44 AM
The perception that Greenville and Commerce are quiet little towns with no problems is a BIG myth. Both have rampant drug issues that they frankly dont do a good job dealing with

mustang59
03-07-2007, 10:47 AM
Very, very tragic. It will certainly leave a scar on the school, town and, most sadly, the students. You have to wonder how a kid comes to this point.

BuffyMars
03-07-2007, 10:55 AM
To do it in front of other people is unimaginable. Can you imagine how traumatizing that must be?

It is very sad indeed, I feel for everyone involved.

kaorder1999
03-07-2007, 10:56 AM
those poor kids will be scarred for life.

lepfan
03-07-2007, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by BuffyMars
To do it in front of other people is unimaginable. Can you imagine how traumatizing that must be?

It is very sad indeed, I feel for everyone involved. I agree. I feel the kid who did this had a message to relay...

Years ago a co worker of my husband hung himself (at home), but before doing so he went in and showered and then put on his work uniform. He had major family issues going on and also had a total jerk for a supervisor who was creating more problems. This guy was relaying his message to his soon to be ex and the company. (IMO)

burnet44
03-07-2007, 11:10 AM
i am so sorry
I shot their meet last year
a fight broke out during the 400

I am sorry for the community

It is not a good place

GOFOR2
03-07-2007, 11:49 AM
The forum of choice for kids to make such big statements like this seems to be the school. This is an awful tragedy. School districts are trying to protect the kids from outside forces, but who is protecting the kids from themselves and each other. Are we doing enough in school districts to help the modern day child? Or are we just overly consumed with results and test scores? Are we equipping teachers with the tools to handle these volatile issues so we dont have incidents like this any longer?

themsu97
03-07-2007, 11:56 AM
truly a sad day in Greenville, my thoughts and prayers go out to that community...

mustang59
03-07-2007, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by lepfan
I agree. I feel the kid who did this had a message to relay...

Years ago a co worker of my husband hung himself (at home), but before doing so he went in and showered and then put on his work uniform. He had major family issues going on and also had a total jerk for a supervisor who was creating more problems. This guy was relaying his message to his soon to be ex and the company. (IMO)
My husband works for a company that has a high suicide rate among the employees and we've heard of this kind of thing happening way too often.
I think that when a person kills themselves in front of others or where certain people will find their body they are lashing out trying to hurt others before they go. In many of these school cases the kids have been the victims of bullying. It will be interesting, but sad, to find out why the kid in Greenville has done such thing.

Bandera YaYa
03-07-2007, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by mustang59
My husband works for a company that has a high suicide rate among the employees and we've heard of this kind of thing happening way too often.
I think that when a person kills themselves in front of others or where certain people will find their body they are lashing out trying to hurt others before they go. In many of these school cases the kids have been the victims of bullying. It will be interesting, but sad, to find out why the kid in Greenville has done such thing. wow that is crazy...so does the company do soomething to help prevent this from happening???

mustang59
03-07-2007, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by Bandera YaYa
wow that is crazy...so does the company do soomething to help prevent this from happening???
Unfortunately, no they don't. I've heard of several people lately who are on disability leave because of stress.

Bandera YaYa
03-07-2007, 01:00 PM
Unfortunately, no they don't. I've heard of several people lately who are on disability leave because of stress. i can't think of anything at work that would cause you to want to kill yourself......unless you like stole money and were tying to cover it up...but still not worth taking your own life and in turn hurting your loved ones.....man I'd say get another damn job!!!! :(

mustang59
03-07-2007, 01:04 PM
i can't think of anything at work that would cause you to want to kill yourself......unless you like stole money and were tying to cover it up...but still not worth taking your own life and in turn hurting your loved ones.....man I'd say get another damn job!!!! :(
It's all stress related, none of them did anything illegal. But you're right about finding another job before you get to that point. I guess the stress leads to depression for some people.

Bandera YaYa
03-07-2007, 01:22 PM
It's all stress related, none of them did anything illegal. But you're right about finding another job before you get to that point. I guess the stress leads to depression for some people. well i can kinda relate..i worked 16 yrs in banking....lots of stress...so i found another job...and it was the best thing I ever did!...it's all about doing what you need to do for your well being, tragic some think suicide is the answer.....of course it never is.

mustang59
03-07-2007, 02:46 PM
Another school shooting today. This one in Michigan.

MIDLAND, Mich.(AP) A teenager shot his former girlfriend four times outside her high school Wednesday, then killed himself, police said.

The 17-year-old girl was taken to a hospital, where her condition was not immediately known, Midland Police Chief James St. Louis said. He said the boy died in the parking lot.

The shooter, a 17-year-old from Coleman, had gone to H.H. Dow High School on Wednesday morning to try to talk to his ex-girlfriend, but he was turned away by school officials, the police chief said. The boy then called her and asked her to meet him outside the building.

After a conversation in the parking lot, the boy pulled a gun out of a backpack and shot her four times before turning the gun on himself, St. Louis said.

The girl's mother, who had dropped her daughter off at the school, saw the shooting from her car and drove in between the two to try to protect the girl, authorities said.

The school, about 100 miles northwest of Detroit, was locked down after the shooting. Dow High is named after the founder of chemical giant Dow Chemical Co. and has 1,500 students.

JR2004
03-07-2007, 07:00 PM
A co-worker was reading about this earlier today and, correct me if I'm wrong, Greenville didn't shut down the school for the day. I believe the only reason they shut the school down at 1:30 was because so many parents came and got their kids and took them home. HOW IN THE WORLD do you leave your school open for the day after a student kills himself AT THE SCHOOL? I think the article said they gave parents the option to get their kids? Are you kidding? How do you not clear the whole darn thing out right then and there and send everybody home?

The only thing I can come up with as a guess is they didn't want to lose the money from the state if the kids didn't make it in to school. I would really, really hope that wasn't the case.

mustang59
03-07-2007, 07:13 PM
It sounds like they were giving the students a chance to talk to couselors if they wanted to. It's also hard to send all students home sometimes because of buses, etc and they need to give parents time to get there.
I did read that contrary to first reports, the student was alone in a practice room and the other kids heard a noice and thought he'd fallen and hit his head.

dogdad
03-07-2007, 07:15 PM
parents have gone to work already, so is it really a good idea to turn school out and put all these students on the street or send them to an empty home?

I think they handled it properly

dogdad
03-07-2007, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by GOFOR2
The forum of choice for kids to make such big statements like this seems to be the school. This is an awful tragedy. School districts are trying to protect the kids from outside forces, but who is protecting the kids from themselves and each other. Are we doing enough in school districts to help the modern day child? Or are we just overly consumed with results and test scores? Are we equipping teachers with the tools to handle these volatile issues so we dont have incidents like this any longer?

what would you have the school districts do?
would you require all teachers to get a degree in psychology?

kepdawg
03-07-2007, 07:28 PM
The last time I was in Greenville it reminded me of being at a Dallas ISD game, only I feel safer at DISD games!

kaorder1999
03-07-2007, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
The last time I was in Greenville it reminded me of being at a Dallas ISD game, only I feel safer at DISD games! i dont think Crandall is nearly as bad as some DISD schools but it is still pretty bad

lepfan
03-07-2007, 07:36 PM
wow that is crazy...so does the company do soomething to help prevent this from happening??? About 8 years later the supervisor I was talking about finally got 'demoted'. He is still out there living his sad life trying to make others as miserable as he is. :(

mustang59
03-07-2007, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by lepfan
About 8 years later the supervisor I was talking about finally got 'demoted'. He is still out there living his sad life trying to make others as miserable as he is. :(
That sounds familiar. Too bad these people don't get 'demoted' before they do so much damage.

LH Panther Mom
03-07-2007, 08:04 PM
The girl's mother, who had dropped her daughter off at the school, saw the shooting from her car and drove in between the two to try to protect the girl, authorities said.
OMG! This is a horrible thing, but I just cannot imagine how awful that must've been for the mother to witness. :(