PDA

View Full Version : Vermont towns seek to impeach Bush

BuffyMars
03-07-2007, 10:33 AM
Vermont towns seek to impeach Bush By Jason Szep
Wed Mar 7, 7:18 AM ET

BOSTON (Reuters) - More than 30 Vermont towns passed resolutions on Tuesday seeking to impeach President Bush, while at least 16 towns in the tiny New England state called on Washington to withdraw U.S. troops from Iraq.

ADVERTISEMENT

Known for picturesque autumn foliage, colonial inns, maple sugar and old-fashion dairy farms, Vermont is in the vanguard of a grass-roots protest movement to impeach Bush over his handling of the unpopular Iraq war.

"We're putting impeachment on the table," said James Leas, a Vermont lawyer who helped to draft the resolutions and is tracking the votes. "The people in all these towns are voting to get this process started and bring the troops home now."

The resolutions passed on Vermont's annual town meeting day -- a colonial era tradition where citizens debate issues of the day big and small -- are symbolic and cannot force Congress to impeach Bush, but they "may help instigate further discussions in the legislature," said state Rep. David Zuckerman.

"The president must be held accountable," said Zuckerman, a politician from Burlington, Vermont's largest city.

After casting votes on budgets and other routine items, citizens of 32 towns in Vermont backed a measure calling on the U.S. Congress to file articles of impeachment against Bush for misleading the nation on Iraq's weapons of mass destruction and for engaging in illegal wiretapping, among other charges.

Five Vermont towns passed similar resolutions last year.

The idea of impeaching Bush resides firmly outside the political mainstream.

The new Democratic-controlled Congress has steered clear of the subject, and Wisconsin Sen. Russell Feingold's call last year to censure Bush -- a step short of an impeachment -- found scant support on Capitol Hill, even among fellow Democrats.

Vermont's congressional delegation has shown no serious interest in the idea.

'SOLDIERS HOME NOW'

Sixteen Vermont towns passed a separate "soldiers home now" resolution calling on the White House, the U.S. Congress and Vermont's elected officials to withdraw troops from Iraq.

"The best way to support them is to bring each and every one of them home now and take good care of them when they get home," the resolution said.

It was unclear how many towns had put the resolutions to a vote, and the results of all the town meetings in the state of about 609,000 people may not be known for days.

Residents of Burlington were voting on a separate question calling for a new investigation into the September 11 attacks.

Voters were asked to circle "yes" or "no" to the question: "Shall Vermont's Congressional Delegation be advised to demand a new, thorough, and truly independent forensic investigation that fully addresses the many questions surrounding the tragic events of September 11, 2001?"

Doug Dunbebin, who gathered signatures to get the issue on the ballot, said questions linger about September 11, when hijacked plane attacks killed nearly 3,000 people at New York's World Trade Center, at the Pentagon and in Pennsylvania.

A group known as Scholars for 9/11 Truth believes the events of that day were part of a conspiracy engineered by the U.S. government and that it took more than two planes to bring down the Twin Towers in New York.

Vermont's new U.S. representative, Peter Welch (news, bio, voting record), a Democrat, said there was no need for a further investigation.

(Additional reporting by Julie Masis)

garageoffice
03-07-2007, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by BuffyMars

A group known as Scholars for 9/11 Truth believes the events of that day were part of a conspiracy engineered by the U.S. government and that it took more than two planes to bring down the Twin Towers in New York.

I don't agree with many of the things our government does, or has done over the past several years. Both parties have made some really bone-headed moves in the last 10-15 years, in my opinion. However, anybody that believes 9/11 was orchestrated by our own government is a SERIOUS wacko!

BuffyMars
03-07-2007, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by garageoffice
I don't agree with many of the things our government does, or has done over the past several years. Both parties have made some really bone-headed moves in the last 10-15 years, in my opinion. However, anybody that believes 9/11 was orchestrated by our own government is a SERIOUS wacko!

Amen!

Bullaholic
03-07-2007, 11:34 AM
I do not deny these folks the right to express their opinion, but in the strictest sense these folks are bordering on treason. Any citizens willing to take such a radical stand against their elected government should apply for citizenship in Canada---they would fit right in in Quebec.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
03-07-2007, 11:36 AM
I don't think it was orchestrated, but I do think that it could have been prevented granted the necessary steps were taken, instead of shunning of the evidence that the attack was about to take place. Good job Vermont. :thumbsup:

JJ7997
03-07-2007, 11:52 AM
A better solution than impeachment would be to consript all of these politicians grown sons and daughters and send them to Iraq too. I bet if they're kids where there, this war would end quick !

themsu97
03-07-2007, 11:54 AM
what I really enjoy is the fact that the gas prices have gone way down since the dem's have been in control...

Keith7
03-07-2007, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by themsu97
what I really enjoy is the fact that the gas prices have gone way down since the dem's have been in control...

lol they've been incontrol for 2 months, as opposed to the republicans last 7 years.. give them time and america will once again be great

themsu97
03-07-2007, 12:01 PM
no, sorry Keith, all politicians are corrupt, the money will just go somewhere else,..

well, maybe not all but most, but I admire that attitude that it will be fixed...but Reagan is dead...

themsu97
03-07-2007, 12:01 PM
and by the way... in the last month, prices have soared, even in the last week...

DaHop72
03-07-2007, 12:02 PM
what I really enjoy is the fact that the gas prices have gone way down since the dem's have been in control... You obviously don't live in West Texas.:rolleyes:

JJ7997
03-07-2007, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by DaHop72
You obviously don't live in West Texas.:rolleyes:

Amen !

BuffyMars
03-07-2007, 12:14 PM
and by the way... in the last month, prices have soared, even in the last week...

They have gone up $.25 here.

LH Panther Mom
03-07-2007, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by BuffyMars
They have gone up $.25 here. Same here!

Jason1725
03-07-2007, 01:47 PM
"I do not deny these folks the right to express their opinion, but in the strictest sense these folks are bordering on treason. Any citizens willing to take such a radical stand against their elected government should apply for citizenship in Canada---they would fit right in in Quebec."

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. — That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, — That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness." Declaration of Independence

Canada has nothing to do with it, it is purely American.

:clap:

pirate4state
03-07-2007, 01:47 PM
what I really enjoy is the fact that the gas prices have gone way down since the dem's have been in control... LOL

Bullaholic
03-07-2007, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by Jason1725
"I do not deny these folks the right to express their opinion, but in the strictest sense these folks are bordering on treason. Any citizens willing to take such a radical stand against their elected government should apply for citizenship in Canada---they would fit right in in Quebec."

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. — That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, — That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness." Declaration of Independence

Canada has nothing to do with it, it is purely American.

:clap:

Again, no one can argue against the right of these folks to express themselves----so you are suggesting that they "go to arms" and institute a new government in the name of freedom and the protection of their perceived violated rights?

Canada has a lot to do with the suggestion in my post. Quebec has been trying to achieve its soverignity for a number of years because they feel they are distinct from the rest of the Canadian populace.

Black_Magic
03-07-2007, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by JJ7997
A better solution than impeachment would be to consript all of these politicians grown sons and daughters and send them to Iraq too. I bet if they're kids where there, this war would end quick ! AMEN!

BTEXDAD
03-07-2007, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
I don't think it was orchestrated, but I do think that it could have been prevented granted the necessary steps were taken, instead of shunning of the evidence that the attack was about to take place. Good job Vermont. :thumbsup:

I finally agree 100% with you bbde. If Clinton would have taken care of the problem during his 8 years in office, 9/11 wouldn't have happened. (You may be too young to remember these).

1) First bombing of world trade center in 1993. Four people convicted, but no response to Al Queda and Bin Laden by US.
2) Ambush attack on army rangers in Mogadishu, Somalia in October, 1993. Killing 18 soldiers and giving us all the picture of one soldier being drug through the streets by Somalians. Clinton's response was to NOT respond, but simply pull soldiers out of area.
3) 1998 bombings of US embassies in Kenya and Tanzania. No response by United States and Clinton.
4) 2000 attack on USS Cole in Yemen. No response by Clinton and United States.

Black_Magic
03-07-2007, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by BTEXDAD
I finally agree 100% with you bbde. If Clinton would have taken care of the problem during his 8 years in office, 9/11 wouldn't have happened. (You may be too young to remember these).

1) First bombing of world trade center in 1993. Four people convicted, but no response to Al Queda and Bin Laden by US.
2) Ambush attack on army rangers in Mogadishu, Somalia in October, 1993. Killing 18 soldiers and giving us all the picture of one soldier being drug through the streets by Somalians. Clinton's response was to NOT respond, but simply pull soldiers out of area.
3) 1998 bombings of US embassies in Kenya and Tanzania. No response by United States and Clinton.
4) 2000 attack on USS Cole in Yemen. No response by Clinton and United States. Really:thinking: Then Why did clinton send the Missile attacks on Al Queda Camps in Afghanistan 1998?? is that one of the no response things too or did you just forget that happened??:thinking: looks like you missed that.
On a side note. I think Bush Sr made the biggest blunder ever not going ahead and taking out sadam in the gulf war.... or I bet you have an excuse for that;)

Jason1725
03-07-2007, 02:51 PM
Again, no one can argue against the right of these folks to express themselves----so you are suggesting that they "go to arms" and institute a new government in the name of freedom and the protection of their perceived violated rights?

No to me you were implying they should not question Government. What I was pointing out is that the Government gets their powers from the governed. Not the other way around.
You said they are committing treason, with that logic then there is no United States.

BTEXDAD
03-07-2007, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by Black_Magic
Really:thinking: Then Why did clinton send the Missile attacks on Al Queda Camps in Afghanistan 1998?? is that one of the no response things too or did you just forget that happened??:thinking: looks like you missed that.
On a side note. I think Bush Sr made the biggest blunder ever not going ahead and taking out sadam in the gulf war.... or I bet you have an excuse for that;)

come on, bm. I remember that, do u? he sent a multi million dollar smart bomb to blow up a tent that was housing some poor shepard.

Bullaholic
03-07-2007, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by Jason1725

Canada has a lot to do with the suggestion in my post. Quebec has been trying to achieve its soverignity for a number of years because they feel they are distinct from the rest of the Canadian populace.

No to me you were implying they should not question Government. What I was pointing out is that the Government gets their powers from the governed. Not the other way around.
You said they are commiting treason, with that logic then there is no United States.

I said "bordering" on treason, Jason, as a means of expressing my indignation for a bunch of our citizens who are harboring such radical thoughts about our government as a U.S. conceived 911 attack. That goes a ways beyond "questioning" our government in my view.

BTEXDAD
03-07-2007, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by Black_Magic

i do agree with it being a blunder not taking out saddam back then. Things may have worked out entirely different, but that was a very fragile coalition that was fighting with US in first gulf war. It was formed to drive Saddam out of Kuwait. Anything beyond that was going to cause problems and complaints from US allies and I'm sure from the democratic congress.
Besides, who's to say the same thing wouldn't have happened in Iraq back then as has happened in 2003 to present.

Black_Magic
03-07-2007, 03:05 PM
come on, bm. I remember that, do u? he sent a multi million dollar smart bomb to blow up a tent that was housing some poor shepard. And we didnt do that 100s of times in Iraq 3 years ago?????? Send a $250,000 smart bomb to blow up a $5,000 truck?? same thing but you dont mention that;)

themsu97
03-07-2007, 03:13 PM
to me, it boils down to this... if they want to protest, they can... if they want to seem like idiots and try to impeach the President, hey that is there right as well...

as far as the war... I will go off the advice of one of my best friends, in my wedding, I in his, been at the birth of each other's children and so forth, who is serving and served in Iraq, the American public and the American media have no idea what they are ranting about,
former students who are serving that I receive emails and snail mail from say that they are honored and glad to serve their country and wouldn't have it any other way...
If the military supports it, who am I to say other wise...

Bullaholic
03-07-2007, 03:13 PM
What are your suggested policies on Iraq, Blackie?

themsu97
03-07-2007, 03:17 PM
and tell the people who have their hands in the oil companies pockets... was just republicans so now it must and has to be just democrats... to lower the dang gas prices...:doh:

Keith7
03-07-2007, 03:18 PM

4) 2000 attack on USS Cole in Yemen. No response by Clinton and United States.

lol I love how people love to blaim Bush's mistakes on clinton.. I guess Clinton should have bombed every country in the middle east following these attacks huh

themsu97
03-07-2007, 03:19 PM
no, it is how Clinton's mistakes were either ok or the blame of Bush sr...
good try on the spin though Keith... good politician move of blaming someone else...

Keith7
03-07-2007, 03:20 PM
no, it is how Clinton's mistakes were either ok or the blame of Bush sr...
good try on the spin though Keith... good politician move of blaming someone else...

I dont even understand what message you are trying to get accross here, but I'm just going to have to disagree with it

themsu97
03-07-2007, 03:22 PM
your spin is a spin of the previous post... typical politician answer... like my old high school coach told me... never let the truth get in the way of a good story..