PDA

View Full Version : 18-inning LE softball game today!

txkmom
03-06-2007, 11:09 PM
3A Liberty Eylau played 4A Texas High today - began at 1:00, and ended at 5:30, after 18 innings! THS won in the 18th, 1-0. They retired their senior, starting pitcher Kelsey Harrington, in about the 11th, and put in a sophomore. LE's Lacey Middlebrooks pitched 16 innings and was replaced after 28 strikeouts and 1 walk. I'm sure THS' starting pitcher had a lot, too. It's a crosstown rivalry - THS beat LE 14-2 last year in an early showdown. What a game! I will post a link to the game story late tomorrow morning from the Texarkana Gazette. Luckily, playing basketball until last week has kept Lacey's legs strong for pitching! By the way, the THS pitcher is also on their varsity soccer team.

Adidas410s
03-06-2007, 11:12 PM
28 strikeouts...congrats to your daughter on a great pitching performance!!! :D:D:D

txkmom
03-06-2007, 11:15 PM
Thanks. THS got some hits, but like LE, kept stranding runners. A great performance from all the pitchers.

pirate4state
03-06-2007, 11:59 PM
:eek: wow :eek: wow - nice first showing for Lacey. These are the types of games you hate that someone has to lose. When does district start for you guys?

We start next week, but I know some of the larger districts start this week.

Who-dun-it!!?
03-07-2007, 12:59 AM
Originally posted by txkmom
3A Liberty Eylau played 4A Texas High today - began at 1:00, and ended at 5:30, after 18 innings! THS won in the 18th, 1-0. They retired their senior, starting pitcher Kelsey Harrington, in about the 11th, and put in a sophomore. LE's Lacey Middlebrooks pitched 16 innings and was replaced after 28 strikeouts and 1 walk. I'm sure THS' starting pitcher had a lot, too. It's a crosstown rivalry - THS beat LE 14-2 last year in an early showdown. What a game! I will post a link to the game story late tomorrow morning from the Texarkana Gazette. Luckily, playing basketball until last week has kept Lacey's legs strong for pitching! By the way, the THS pitcher is also on their varsity soccer team.

Outstanding! both pitchers must have done a great job. I've got an 11 year old right now that pitches. Her fastball is around 43mph. Were still workin on the changeup and other junk. Hope she has many great outings in the future.

mwynn05
03-07-2007, 01:44 AM
I bet shes tired....16 innings.....dang....even worse she also has to get up and go to school in the morning

loyalleopard
03-07-2007, 02:35 AM
No School......... Spring break.

LH Panther Mom
03-07-2007, 07:28 AM
Great job, Lacey! What a game!

HM33
03-07-2007, 09:02 AM
WoW, I would just be tired of playing that long.... let alone pitch for 11 or 16 innings.

txkmom
03-07-2007, 09:15 AM
Paper today said Lacey pitched 15 of 18 innings. THS pitchers combined for 18 strikeouts. Lacey's legs were jelly after, which is a good thing, means she was using them, so her shoulder will not be as sore. Kids learning to pitch, really master your fastball and changeup for years before you work on other pitches. Then location becomes very important. We are seeing a lot of great pitching already this year. Fastpitch has come a long way, and the girls love it.

txkmom
03-07-2007, 12:24 PM
Long day at the office: Texas High gets past Liberty-Eylau in 18-inning marathon, 1-0

By LOUIE AVERY
Texarkana Gazette

After taking four hours and 20 minutes to play 18 innings, the drama abruptly ended on Monica Choate’s hit at Lady Tiger Field.

Senior Kelsey Harrington and sophomore Ariel McDowell combined to scatter 10 hits and strike out 18 in pitching Texas High to its hard-earned victory over Liberty-Eylau, 1-0.

Choate’s decisive hit, a drive over the center fielder’s head, came with two outs in the bottom of the 18th with the bases loaded.

“I’m not surprised the score was 1-0, but I’m sure surprised it went 18 innings,” winning coach Robbie Hatfield said. “Two good pitchers starter the game, and we got a strong effort from Ariel. She’s been working hard for us and she’s now 3-0. She came in throwing strikes.”

McDowell, who transferred from Liberty-Eylau last fall, blanked the Lady Leopards the final seven innings, allowing two hits and striking out four.

“Winning felt good, but it was kind of weird pitching against Liberty-Eylau,” McDowell said. “I really didn’t expect to pitch much this year, but I was hoping to play somewhere.”

As incredible as Harrington and McDowell were on the mound, L-E sophomore Lacey Middlebrooks was equally brilliant considering she just joined the team Monday from basketball. Middlebrooks went 15 innings, striking out a career-high 28 and walking only one, that coming in her final inning.

Middlebrooks retired the first 17 Texas High batters in the game and did not allow a hit during the first seven innings. The Tigers did get nine hits off her during the ensuing eight innings, but she pitched out of three bases loaded jams, and twice with runners at second and third.

“Today we faced two of the best pitchers in the area,” L-E coach Todd Tipton said. “Texas High played great defense behind them. I thought my girls showed a lot of heart battling out of one jam after another. We just didn’t get the hits when we needed them.”

Texas High (9-2) stranded an incredible 22 runners during the final 11 innings.

Kaci Stilson singled to right to open the Tigers’ 18th, moving up on a passed ball. Thurston followed with a walk, but Stilson was out trying to steal third. Taylor Robnett was safe on a fielder’s choice when Thurston beat a throw to second. Losing pitcher Kaylee Treas retired the next batter, but Victoria Stewart walked to load the bases and stage Choate’s heroic hit.

L-E (5-2) had scoring opportunities early. The Leopards had runners reach second three times during the first nine innings, their best chances coming in the 10th and 11th frames.

Nicki Spanger reached safely on a passed ball after striking out in the 10th, and Hailey White was safe on a fielder’s choice. A sacrifice bunt by Brandi Martin put runners at second and third with one out, but Harrington got Courtney Cooper on a shallow fly to center, and Heather Reynolds on a grounder to shortstop.

The Leopards had the same situation in the 11th, but once again Harrington pitched herself out of trouble with two popups.

Texas High and Liberty-Eylau are scheduled to play each other again Thursday in the New Boston tournament.

http://www.texarkanagazette.com/articles/2007/03/07/local_news/sports/sports03.txt

mwynn05
03-07-2007, 01:09 PM
ah we dont have spring break til the week after next