PDA

View Full Version : Teaching in TX

wildstangs
03-06-2007, 09:56 PM
Who on here is currently or has been a teacher in Texas?

lepfan
03-06-2007, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by wildstangs
Who on here is currently or has been a teacher in Texas? I was from 1992-2004....Texas teaching beats the hell out of Kansas teaching any day of the week.

We cancel school up here because our boys are going to the state basketball tournament......third graders were scheduled to take their state assessments at my school this week and they cancel school for the rest of the week....LOL

Bull19
03-06-2007, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by lepfan
I was from 1992-2004....Texas teaching beats the hell out of Kansas teaching any day of the week.

We cancel school up here because our boys are going to the state basketball tournament......third graders were scheduled to take their state assessments at my school this week and they cancel school for the rest of the week....LOL

WHY THE MOVE TO TEACHING IN KANSAS?

P.S. ARE THE ROCKY MOUNTAINS THEIR ANY ROCKIER THAN THEY ARE IN DUMB AND DUMBER?

hawkfan
03-06-2007, 10:12 PM
This is my second year teaching and coaching. If you like long hours, low pay, tons of stress, angry parents than this is the job for you. Seriously, I could not think of anything I'd rather be doing with my life. When I had a kid last year tell me "Coach, thanks for believing in me when I didn't", I knew I had made the right decision with my life.

txkmom
03-06-2007, 11:13 PM
I have taught for 10 years; my husband has been a teacher and coach for 20+ - Bastrop, Wolfe City, Community, Hooks, New Boston, Queen City, Texarkana.
DON'T DO IT UNLESS YOU LOVE IT.

Highschoolfan78
03-07-2007, 12:52 AM
I'm currently enrolled in the education program at UHV in secondary edu. I Should be student teaching next spring.

Ray_BearKat
03-07-2007, 02:34 AM
i taught i year last year 2nd grade science/math/ss...loved it!

lepfan
03-07-2007, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by Bull19
WHY THE MOVE TO TEACHING IN KANSAS?

P.S. ARE THE ROCKY MOUNTAINS THEIR ANY ROCKIER THAN THEY ARE IN DUMB AND DUMBER? It was not a move just so I could teach in KS....The $10,000 pay cut would have stopped me in my tracks!!!! It was a move for my husband's employment...you know sometimes you have to make a move to hell, before you can move up the ladder to a better place.
I am leavining KS SOON!!!

burnet44
03-07-2007, 09:16 AM
me 29 years since 1978
wife 10 years since 1997

I have 80 this year

retire

lol

NO WAY
cant afford it

and so some of you can bash

NO

my kids wont be teachers

lepfan
03-07-2007, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by burnet44

my kids wont be teachers Neither will my kids. They don't want to....I say GREAT!

themsu97
03-07-2007, 09:23 AM
love it, would not want to be anything else...
ask me next week while I am golfing and fishing... or in June and July when I am working football camps in Austin, Dallas and CHicago, or on cruise to Jamaica and Grand Cayman... understand how to take care of yourself and your spouse, and this is the best job in the world... how do you know? when after graduating former students want to come see you or drop by your house to tell you how their life is going... which is there way of saying, you made an impact on me...

lepfan
03-07-2007, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by themsu97
love it, would not want to be anything else...
ask me next week while I am golfing and fishing... or in June and July when I am working football camps in Austin, Dallas and CHicago, or on cruise to Jamaica and Grand Cayman... understand how to take care of yourself and your spouse, and this is the best job in the world... how do you know? when after graduating former students want to come see you or drop by your house to tell you how their life is going... which is there way of saying, you made an impact on me... How long have you taught? And yes...the impact made on the kids is what has kept me in it for this long NOT th June and July....when you have a family you can't afford all those cruises and fun times you are mentioning....unless of course ya use momma and daddy's 'old' money....
I do have many memories and would not trade them for anything...I am just thinking I might want to do something different 20 years into it!

themsu97
03-07-2007, 10:18 AM
this is year 10... and I am not using mommy and daddy's money because they ain't got none... sound hickish enough...
teachers get paid well enough... if someone wants to give me more money then I am not going to complain but i love what I do... the cruise is in July and it is out of Galveston... that makes it very affordable...and I have two beautiful kids... a 12 year old daughter and a 8 year old son... we have great times together and will next week while we are fishing and golfing together...

burnet44
03-07-2007, 10:31 AM
we took the cruise on our 20 anny
we have never been anywhere
left galveston
went to key west spent the day
sailed to the caman's went diving
sailed to cozumel spent the day

ours was the week cruise on the Royal Caribbean
was a great cruise

I would highly reccomend it

we took this one

Ship Name: Rhapsody Of The Seas
Departure Port: Galveston, Texas
Ports of Call: Galveston, Texas; Key West, Florida; George Town, Grand Cayman; Cozumel, Mexico; Galveston, Texas

lepfan
03-07-2007, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by themsu97
this is year 10... and I am not using mommy and daddy's money because they ain't got none... sound hickish enough...
teachers get paid well enough... if someone wants to give me more money then I am not going to complain but i love what I do... the cruise is in July and it is out of Galveston... that makes it very affordable...and I have two beautiful kids... a 12 year old daughter and a 8 year old son... we have great times together and will next week while we are fishing and golfing together... Great! We have other vices....4 wheelers, motorcycles, etc...so it all pans out. In Texas I say yes, I made a decent living with my pay...in Kansas...not a chance. I guess I have grown a bit bitter since working up here...it is time to step out of that and move forward.

Many things have changed since I began teaching. Most for the better, some I question! :)

themsu97
03-07-2007, 11:38 AM
that is what we need, Vices...
we went on Carnival for our 10th and decided with some other couple friends of ours that we would do this every 2-3 years so we are going this year...
on Conquest out of Galveston to MoBay, Grand Cayman and Cozumel to where we are going to snorkel, snuba and ride ATV's...