PDA

View Full Version : PI Tarpon - Raising Money for Hawaii Trip

footballgal
03-06-2007, 05:49 PM
http://www.brownsvilleherald.com/onset?id=450&template=article.html

Tarpon Tackle Raising Money for Trip
THERESA NAJERA, ISLAND BREEZE
March 5, 2007 - 4:53PM
Port Isabel Tarpon Zachary Tamayo is going to great lengths to play football in Hawaii this summer—so great he’s placing empty pickle jars in local businesses to help raise money.

Tamayo, an 18-year-old senior at Port Isabel High School, was nominated to play at Aloha Stadium in Hawaii as part of Competitive Sports International, an event that spotlights talented players throughout the country.

Tamayo plays offensive tackle for the Division 3A Tarpons and hasn’t had his fill of football just yet. The senior has the opportunity to represent the Rio Grande Valley as part of a Texas team of high school students.

He discovered his love for football entering high school as a freshman. “I started playing peewee football when I was 12,” Tamayo said, “and I didn’t take it very serious at the time.”

But after his freshman year, the player gained better understanding of the sport and learned what ‘working out’ was all about,” he said.

Pushing himself through training, he began to reap the rewards of the weight room.

“The more I saw results, the more I pushed myself,” he said.

The senior credits his success largely to his offensive line coach and offensive coordinator Jake Hofstetter.

“I turned all his ragging on me around and used it to motivate me,” Tamayo said. “He made me the man and player I am today.”

Hofstetter admits that he is a coach who offers tough love.

“I’m not the easiest coach to work with,” Hofstetter said.

Yet the coach says Tamayo put a lot of extra work into his training and conditioning.

“Zack made himself what he is today,” he said. “We are neighbors, and at night, I would find him sprinting or back peddling down the street. That is what you want in an individual.”

Still today, long after football season, Tamayo visits the weight room or runs the bleachers.

“I think that I have more technique than speed,” Tamayo said.

His mother Debbie Tamayo says she’s confident in her son’s playing.

“Zachary has been playing contact football for a long time and he understands the workings of the game,” Debbie said. She hopes to see her son not only enjoy football but get into a good college as well.

“I know he is ready to be a fireman, but I know he loves football,” she said. “Hopefully, this will lead him to get into the right college.”

Tamayo has received various awards throughout high school. One of the more respected was the Forrest Greg award, which he was awarded for the most outstanding offensive lineman in the state of Texas for a 3A football team.

He continues to train and condition himself in hopes of raising enough money to fly to Hawaii and represent the Valley.

The senior is well aware that when he looks out into the stands at Aloha Stadium in June it will be college recruiters rather than family watching the game.

“I’m not nervous about playing against anyone, just in representing my school and all those who have sponsored me,” Tamayo said. “I just love football and the tradition of going out under the lights. It’s an adrenaline rush.”

Tamayo was the only player in the Rio Grande Valley who attended the regional recruiting meeting on Dec. 23.

He will be playing four pro-minute quarters against various state teams June 12 through the 19. The trip will cost $2,250.

He has received donations from businesses as well as the Laguna Vista Fire Department and is still working for more donations.

As of Friday, Tamayo has raised $1,300.

“His father and I would have never been able to raise this much money on our own,” Debbie said. “But the town has been very supportive.

Looking for more sponsors, Tamayo will continue to hand out flyers and pickle jars to various businesses in Port Isabel, Laguna Vista and South Padre Island.

The family has also looked into raffling off items that businesses have donated to help him raise money.

“We are so grateful to everyone that has helped us out,” Debbie said. “Any little bit helps.”

LH Panther Mom
03-06-2007, 06:03 PM
Good luck to him! :)

Adidas410s
03-06-2007, 06:08 PM
Is there a way for people outside of the area to make donations?

footballgal
03-06-2007, 06:11 PM
I am sure there is, I will try to get info and post it .

http://themonitor.mycapture.com/mycapture/enlarge.asp?userphoto=0&image=12844373&thispage=2

Tamyo is in the center of pix