PDA

View Full Version : Durant Won't Make it in the NBA

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
03-06-2007, 03:46 PM
Sure, he dominates inside in college, but what is going to happen to him when he goes up against the likes of Shaq and Ben Wallace in the paint? He's not LeBron and can't dribble and play a true guard position, and he's too weak to play forward, so I think whatever NBA team gets him will be wasting his money. He should stay in college and develop his dribbling skills and hit the weight room.

Bull19
03-06-2007, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
Sure, he dominates inside in college, but what is going to happen to him when he goes up against the likes of Shaq and Ben Wallace in the paint? He's not LeBron and can't dribble and play a true guard position, and he's too weak to play forward, so I think whatever NBA team gets him will be wasting his money. He should stay in college and develop his dribbling skills and hit the weight room.

COMPLETELY AGREED

Adidas410s
03-06-2007, 03:50 PM
1) Shaq is out of the league in a few years
2) Ben Wallace will be out of the league shortly after Shaq

3) Who needs to pound it in the paint when you can hit 3 pt shots from 25 feet??? Just ask Dirk... ;)

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
03-06-2007, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
1) Shaq is out of the league in a few years
2) Ben Wallace will be out of the league shortly after Shaq

3) Who needs to pound it in the paint when you can hit 3 pt shots from 25 feet??? Just ask Dirk... ;)

Durant is nowhere near being as good as Dirk...He's good, but he has a long way to go.

Adidas410s
03-06-2007, 03:53 PM
Durant is nowhere near being as good as Dirk...He's good, but he has a long way to go.

Dirk now was nowhere near as good as the Dirk that entered the league in the 90's.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
03-06-2007, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
Dirk now was nowhere near as good as the Dirk that entered the league in the 90's.

So, I'm talking about the here and now.

neck_06
03-06-2007, 03:55 PM

BBDE, i'm gonna have to disagree with you here. i think that durant has the ability to be the next great thing in the NBA.

he has height - 6' 10"
the jump shot - just ask anyone who has played him this year
the awareness - see above
as for his size....he will grow, remember, he is only 19 years old. Lebron is the only person that i have ever seen be ready for the NBA at the age of 19.

mark my words: "Kevin Durant will be a great player in the NBA, he just needs a few years (in college or the NBA) to develop."

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
03-06-2007, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by neck_06
BBDE, i'm gonna have to disagree with you here. i think that durant has the ability to be the next great thing in the NBA.

he has height - 6' 10"
as for his size....he will grow, remember, he is only 19 years old. Lebron is the only person that i have ever seen be ready for the NBA at the age of 19.

mark my words: "Kevin Durant will be a great player in the NBA, he just needs a few years (in college or the NBA) to develop."

Yeah, I'll mark them "S" for "Stupid." Get out of here, monkey.

big daddy russ
03-06-2007, 03:57 PM
Here's (http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=59699&highlight=durant) a thread from a little while back that kind of relates to this topic. I do think he's a great NBA prospect and liken him to Kevin Garnett quite a bit, but definitely wouldn't rank him ahead of Greg Oden.

To me, it's the same argument as Duncan/Garnett. Which would you rather have? One is an absolute freak athletically, is a one-of-a-kind ballplayer, and we've never seen a player like him before. The other is nowhere near as flashy, is very talented, but makes his team better.

Ohio State is ranked number one with a great shot at the title. Texas sits at 14 with an outside shot at the Final Four. I have a feeling it'll be that way for the next 10-15 years.

neck_06
03-06-2007, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Here's (http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=59699&highlight=durant) a thread from a little while back that kind of relates to this topic. I do think he's a great NBA prospect and liken him to Kevin Garnett quite a bit, but definitely wouldn't rank him ahead of Greg Oden.

To me, it's the same argument as Duncan/Garnett. Which would you rather have? One is an absolute freak athletically, is a one-of-a-kind ballplayer, and we've never seen a player like him before. The other is nowhere near as flashy, is very talented, but makes his team better.

Ohio State is ranked number one with a great shot at the title. Texas sits at 14 with an outside shot at the Final Four. I have a feeling it'll be that way for the next 10-15 years.

greg oden doesn't impress me all the time like kevin durant does. he just has his moments.

Bull19
03-06-2007, 04:01 PM
greg oden doesn't impress me all the time like kevin durant does. he just has his moments.
THATS BECAUSE ODEN IS A TEAM PLAYER,,THATS WHY THEY ARE NUMBER 1. HE'S NOT SELFISH LIKE DURANT, THATS WHY THEY WONT BE IN CONTENTION FOR THE NATIONAL TITLE

burnet44
03-06-2007, 04:01 PM
durant should make it

he will play the 4 or 3 in the NBA
maybe go to 5 when he fills out

the kid can play
he can do so much stuff

shoot close or far
rebound
run

kid has great talent at this age

2 things in his future will make him better

experience and strenght

and at 19

he will get both

Adidas410s
03-06-2007, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by Bull19
THATS BECAUSE ODEN IS A TEAM PLAYER,,THATS WHY THEY ARE NUMBER 1. HE'S NOT SELFISH LIKE DURANT, THATS WHY THEY WONT BE IN CONTENTION FOR THE NATIONAL TITLE
It's not an issue of Durant being selfish. Until the recent emergence of Augustin and Abrams...where else was Texas supposed to count on getting production every game? Oden has a better "supporting cast" around him as well.

Snyder_TigerFan
03-06-2007, 04:05 PM

he has height - 6' 10"

I agree with this. He's only 19, he will put on weight and get bigger. He might not jump into the NBA and be a huge impact player, but I believe he will in a few years.

big daddy russ
03-06-2007, 04:14 PM
Good to know. You know, they said the same thing about Shaq. They also said the same thing about Bill Russell.

The thing about Durant is that the success of his team doesn't hinge on his play. He doesn't make his team better other than the fact that they have an undefensable near-seven-footer who can shoot the three.

And yes, I'm using that argument against him.

He scores 30 just about every game, but the Longhorns' play fluctuates wildly from game to game. Even if he plays the same one game to the next.

That's what makes a great NBA general manager. The ability to distinguish between players who make their teams better and the players who make themselves better. That's why Gregg Popovich and RC Buford have done such great jobs with the Spurs. That's why Jerry West was so successful with the Lakers. That's why Isaiah Thomas and Danny Ainge make horrible front office guys.

Just because you buy a team of 12 All-Stars doesn't mean they'll win a title. Portland found out the hard way. Durant is an absolutely out-of-this world talent who reminds me a lot of KG with his athleticism. And don't get me wrong, I love KG. He's a fighter, and he comes out every game swinging. Unfortunately, he never learned the lessons of Michael Jordan, Bill Russell, Shaq, Jerry West, Larry Bird, Tim Duncan, and all the other great champions. By scoring 40 a game with 20 rebounds, 10 assists, five blocks, and five steals, you may actually NOT be giving your team the best chance to win. You have to learn to feed your teammates and give them energy instead of channeling all that inward and only focusing on your own play. Right now, that's the stage that Kevin Durant is at and Oden's definitely not at that stage.

Kobe Bryant started shedding that mantle three years ago and is undergoing the same transformation that Jordan underwent in the late-80's. LeBron started out in the right direction, but took a huge step back this season. I chalk it up to laziness.

Right now, give me Oden. I'm drafting a guy to win a championship, not just a guy who's a future Hall-of-Famer.

Dogman_1969
03-06-2007, 04:15 PM
From what I have seen this year he is the best college player. Remember he hasn't had the luxury of playing with his team mates for 2-3 yrs, has been forced into leading a very young Texas team and has done an excellent job of it.

I compare him to Carmello Anthony at the college level with maybe a little less dribbling skills but more natural talent such as the ability to take anyone off the dribble to the basket or step out and hit the three.

I think Shaq would dominate the inside game on him but he'd trim 40 lb's off of Shaq by forcing Shaq to get further than 5 foot from the basket to play defense.

I expect the NBA to take him and play him along with a true post or power forward.

Just my take. I hope he stays at UT another year, but doubt he will.

neck_06
03-06-2007, 04:19 PM
let me make a correction to what i said. i don't at all think that greg oden will not be a good player in the NBA.

I THINK HE WILL BE A GOOD PLAYER.

he just doesn't impress me as much as durant does, this may be because of his supporting cast, his wrist, or whatever else. durant just impresses me more at the moment.

BTEXDAD
03-06-2007, 04:20 PM

He does look frail, but he's nineteen yrs old. For some reason the NBA scouts think he's the best player in country. I would think they know more than us.

Hopefully this won't be another VY type argument?

injuredinmelee
03-06-2007, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by BTEXDAD
He does look frail, but he's nineteen yrs old. For some reason the NBA scouts think he's the best player in country. I would think they know more than us.

Hopefully this won't be another VY type argument?

its all about envy since no phenoms go to their schools in any sport like Vince and Durant. They have to find holes in their games as they sit in their own dorm rooms or behind their desk filling in spread sheets while the scouts who have tabbed Durant a cant miss player are way off the mark.

Emerson1
03-06-2007, 07:28 PM
Vince Young won't make it in the NFL. He is to slow and won't be able to run at all.

jason
03-06-2007, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
its all about envy since no phenoms go to their schools in any sport like Vince and Durant. They have to find holes in their games as they sit in their own dorm rooms or behind their desk filling in spread sheets while the scouts who have tabbed Durant a cant miss player are way off the mark. hes just a ut hater

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
03-06-2007, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
its all about envy since no phenoms go to their schools in any sport like Vince and Durant. They have to find holes in their games as they sit in their own dorm rooms or behind their desk filling in spread sheets while the scouts who have tabbed Durant a cant miss player are way off the mark.

Apparently you just missed out on the joke. I posted this purposely to cause controversy on here because some were complaining about being bored. I actually think he's a great player, but I did mean it when I said it would be in his best interest to stay in school, develop his game, and get stronger. I do think that if he went pro now he would make a splash in the NBA though.

kaorder1999
03-06-2007, 08:02 PM
people said the same thing about Chris Bosh and he was in the all-star game this year

jason
03-06-2007, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
people said the same thing about Chris Bosh and he was in the all-star game this year ask my dad what i think about chris bosh....blah